Litchi says its New Tablet Time

Reaction score
I've been having some issues with my Nexus 7 2013 2nd Gen lately. I use Litchi very very often, but some strange things have been happening. AirData will no longer sync unless I do an app "Clear Data". If I try to manually sync, Litchi malfunctions (flight modes cease working, can't switch to Waypoint). This Nexus is used solely for flying, lots of space, and worked mostly trouble free for the past 2 years.

Litchi says it is borderline functional for its App. At one time, this was highly touted by DJI Go users and I was a fan to be sure (on board GPS with no data plan).

Do any other Nexus 7 2nd gen. owners think its time to sunset this device? I'm not happy about an iPad mini 4 and they're pricey (but what isn't). I'll look at some used ones with GPS, but having enjoyed my Nexus for the past 2 years, what is a good replacement in the Android world?

Litchi does not appear to be interested in working this issue out.

I've taken my Nexus 7 2nd gen out of service - doesn't run Go reliably anymore. Not sure about Litchi, I haven't tried it on the Nexus 7 since.

I moved to an iPad.

Do any other Nexus 7 2nd gen. owners think its time to sunset this device?
At one time, this was highly touted by DJI Go users
The Nexus 7 is well past its use-by date for flying (along with a lot of other tablets that were used).
I was a fan to be sure (on board GPS with no data plan).
Almost every Android tablet has GPS onboard.
what is a good replacement in the Android world?
The current best Android tablet to fly with is the Huawei M3 or M5.
Both work equally well and give flawless performance with no complicating issues.

Reactions: Avocet
The Nexus 7 is well past its use-by date for flying (along with a lot of other tablets that were used).

Almost every Android tablet has GPS onboard.

The current best Android tablet to fly with is the Huawei M3 or M5.
Both work equally well and give flawless performance with no complicating issues.
I'm seeing a lot of M3 Lite models sporting only 1.4ghz chips. We're talking the M3 model with the 2.4ghz chip - Have I got this right? There is a significant price point diff.

Also, these all seem to be running Android 6. Was/Is there an OTA update to Android 7?

Thanks for your help!

My M3 8.4, not Lite, auto-updated to Android 7 shortly after I got it a few months ago... runs GO and Litchi fine

Thanks for posting all. I pulled the trigger on a new MediaPad M3, 64g Wi-Fi only on eBay. Used M3s are in short supply it seems and virtually no M5s used are showing up there. Anyway, I lost out on 2 different M3s by a bid or two in the 170-180$ range. I did however, find a new M3 in California that accepted my offer of $212.50. Looking at these new on Amazon, it looks like I lucked out this time, no?

I have a M3 Im very happy with it .
I have no experience with those pads but my iPad mini is no longer sufficient for my eyes. How bright are those devices (M3, M5 etc.) Thanks!

accepted my offer of $212.50. Looking at these new on Amazon, it looks like I lucked out this time, no?

Yes, good find... a few months ago, I paid 262 new on Amazon and thought I got a pretty good deal.

I haven't used an iPad but the Samsung tab s I used preciously was known for having a very bright clear desplay I think the M3 8.4 is better .

I have no experience with those pads but my iPad mini is no longer sufficient for my eyes. How bright are those devices (M3, M5 etc.) Thanks!
One review rated the M3 at 400 nits for brightness. Which is average for an IPS LCD panel. The Galaxy Tab will be brighter. CrystalSky Ultrabright is around 2000 nits. Samsung S9/S9 phones will peak at 1000 nits.

I recently stopped flying my P3S with my Galaxy Tab E 9.6 tablet due to it not running DJI Go reliably anymore. It lags, freezes and even shuts off unexpectantly almost every flight.
For now I'm back to using my old Galaxy Note 3 cellphone but that little screen is tough on these old eyes even with bifocals on.
I'm planning on upgrading my phone in the coming months, probably to a S8+ or S9.

Last edited:
I recently stopped flying my P3S with my Galaxy Tab E 9.6 tablet due to it not running DJI Go reliably anymore. It lags, freezes and even shuts off expectantly almost every flight.
For now I'm back to using my old Galaxy Note 3 cellphone but that little screen is tough on these old eyes even with bifocals on.
I'm planning on upgrading my phone in the coming months, probably to a S8+ or S9.
It works great with the S8+, it's what I use.

Reactions: Cellblock776

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic