Litchi question

Also make sure your login name is spelled exactly the same on the Hub and the APP login. I had a problem several years ago when I had a lower case name on the Hub and a upper case name on the APP - same name, but case different in one letter.

Can you uninstall Litchi and reinstall without having to pay again? I paid Litchi for each device, my phone, my tablet, and CS? I know Litchi is very inexpensive, but I would like it to be able to install on all my devices for the same cost, or reinstall w/o paying like in the above suggestion.
Hopefully, I missed something and paid too many times

Hi Billie,

I am beginning to wonder if the initial setup of the Litchi app was completed correctly. There is a warning about this issue at the beginning of the Litchi users guide:

General

When starting the app for the first time after installation, you will need to be connected to Internet in order to register the app with DJI servers. Registration with DJI servers can be done without being connected to a DJI drone. The registration is done in the background, if the registration failed you will be notified with an error popup. Be aware that some Internet connections may have troubles connecting to DJI servers, in such a case make sure to try a different Internet connection (home wifi, mobile data connection, a friend's connection, public wifi, etc).

I think that at this point I would uninstall the Litchi and then reinstall it watching carefully to make sure that no error popup appear and that the registration completes fully.

Don't give up!

All the best, Martin

Martin, I'll be damned if the answer wasn't staring me in the face all along. Top left corner of the Litchi screen, was the selection menu for flight mode, and right there under my nose, was the login icon, right at the bottom of that pull-down menu. I logged in, restarted Litchi, and BOOM, all my waypoint missions were visible and ready to download for flight. I couldn't see the forest for the trees, and once again I thank you for highlighting this basic omission I'd been making all along.

I'd actually given up using Litchi's waypoint facility, until just now when I decided to take one more final stab at it, only to prove once again the wisdom of that old adage : "When all else fails, read the instructions."

I cannot believe that I simply failed to spot the login button right there in front of me. In search of a convenient scapegoat, I'll go ahead and blame old age, for this astounding oversight on my part. Anyway, once again I doff my hat to yourself and others, whose advice I ought to have studied more closely right from the onset. Now to try a mission. I'll make it a short hop within visual range, before I get adventurous and send the drone out further afield.

In conclusion, my scholarly remark is therefore as follows : Yeeeeeeehaw !

Hi Billie,

So glad to hear that your perseverance has paid off. It probably feels all the sweeter after all the frustrations. Don't worry we all do silly things - it's just part of the learning process. Remember in all the excitement to not get carried away - start small and work up on your autonomous missions.

All the best, Martin

Just flew my first ever autonomous mission, and it was a thing of beauty to behold. Just five minutes long in total, I watched as the drone followed my programmed flight path, with the camera oriented to the points of interest I programmed.

When the signal broke up, I wasn't worried, and then sure enough the map came alive as the drone closed in on the launch point. Absolutely amazing. I am profoundly grateful to Martin, and the other very helpful writers in this forum, who offered timely insights that really expedited the learning process. A whole new world of aerial cinematography just opened up for me today, and if it weren't for the pointers I gleaned from this forum, I'd most likely still be flailing about in a fog of bewilderment.

Soon as the weather breaks, I'll be launching a little further afield, down by the swamp, where I have long yearned to get a closer look at a small island nestled amid the tropical rainforest. I programmed a couple of orbits over that island, which should startle the monkeys and swamp antelope a little, but its all in the interest of science he he.

Last edited:
I've flown two 5-mile round-trip, over 20 minute duration autonomous flights every day for the past few days, and with each mission my confidence about using Litchi just grows. My experience has been that the maximum safe flight duration to program, is 23 minutes, and that the drone lands at about the 18 minute mark, with 35% battery left, on average, at the conclusion of most flights that were created with a nominal 23-minute duration.

Since the drone typically arrives 5 minutes earlier than the stated flight time in Litchi would suggest, it is best to be ready at the launch site ahead of time. I also found that even if one selects the Litchi settings option for the drone to "do nothing", on arrival at the final waypoint, the drone will in fact begin to descend for an auto landing, regardless. Rushing outside to take control of an incoming flight, I was alarmed to see the drone mere feet from "landing" in a tree near the launch site, so again, don't sit indoors for too long if you have a flight in progress.

I've flown two 5-mile round-trip, over 20 minute duration autonomous flights every day for the past few days, and with each mission my confidence about using Litchi just grows. My experience has been that the maximum safe flight duration to program, is 23 minutes, and that the drone lands at about the 18 minute mark, with 35% battery left, on average, at the conclusion of most flights that were created with a nominal 23-minute duration.

Since the drone typically arrives 5 minutes earlier than the stated flight time in Litchi would suggest, it is best to be ready at the launch site ahead of time. I also found that even if one selects the Litchi settings option for the drone to "do nothing", on arrival at the final waypoint, the drone will in fact begin to descend for an auto landing, regardless. Rushing outside to take control of an incoming flight, I was alarmed to see the drone mere feet from "landing" in a tree near the launch site, so again, don't sit indoors for too long if you have a flight in progress.
I have not observed this - I select "do nothing" on the Litchi mission hub, my drone gets to the final waypoint and just hovers there. Perhaps your battery was too low after the mission and had to land? If you check your mission log (on Airdata), you can find out why the drone tried to autoland. If you make your mission public, and provide a link, perhaps we can review your mission to make sure something else isn't up. Also, what model aircraft are you flying?

When I checked the settings, Jim, I had indeed selected RTH, instead of "None", as the concluding action for the drone to take on arrival at the final waypoint. I clean forgot that Return To Home, entails returning to the launch point GPS coordinates, but then also descending for a landing, so my getting caught unawares indoors with the sound of my arriving Phantom 3 S in full throttle-down descent mode, was a near-debacle entirely of my own making, and not due to any flaw in Litchi.

Before I discovered this basic error I'd been making, I readied myself to toggle the controller switch to GPS mode the instant the drone was close enough to the launch point, to be within earshot, so as to stop the craft in a stable hover while I scrambled outdoors to take control for the landing. That said, by simply ensuring that the "None" option is selected as the last waypoint action for every flight, I don't expect to see any un-commanded descents to land anymore.

When I checked the settings, Jim, I had indeed selected RTH, instead of "None", as the concluding action for the drone to take on arrival at the final waypoint. I clean forgot that Return To Home, entails returning to the launch point GPS coordinates, but then also descending for a landing, so my getting caught unawares indoors with the sound of my arriving Phantom 3 S in full throttle-down descent mode, was a near-debacle entirely of my own making, and not due to any flaw in Litchi.

Before I discovered this basic error I'd been making, I readied myself to toggle the controller switch to GPS mode the instant the drone was close enough to the launch point, to be within earshot, so as to stop the craft in a stable hover while I scrambled outdoors to take control for the landing. That said, by simply ensuring that the "None" option is selected as the last waypoint action for every flight, I don't expect to see any un-commanded descents to land anymore.

I'm glad you found the cause!

And technically, it isn't the last waypoint that selects the Finish Action, it is the "Finish Action" selected in the Settings window that decides what your aircraft will do.

1604768219130.png

Don't forget that, if something goes wrong during the flight, you can always hit the "Pause" button on the RC during the flight (like if the aircraft is about to fly into a tree branch, building, or whatever). The bonus thing about this is you can hit it again to resume your mission where it left off if you like. Happy flying!

Attachments

• 1604768079465.png
    1604768079465.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 70
Much thanks Jim. I won't ever make that mistake again for sure. I consider myself proficient when it comes to hand-flying a drone, given all my simulator practice hours logged, so it would have been a crushing blow to have my drone land in a tree while I relaxed indoors, all on account of my failure to set the correct concluding action at the end of a Litchi flight.

Reactions: jimlips

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic