Litchi Mission Gone Bad

Thanks for all your help. Found the drone. Here is the video of the crash. Right where Fly dawg said it would be.

It looks to me by the video the CA was working somewhat. It looks like it slowed considerably right before the end.

Reactions: jimlips
It looks to me by the video the CA was working somewhat. It looks like it slowed considerably right before the end.

I agree with you, it looks to me too the P4P Collision Avoidance has stepped in, unfortunatelly @Gtarman52 is not showing in the video what happened next, say how many times / how long CA has attempted to avoid the collision, what happened next. The raw video without any processing would help to a better understanding.

I agree with you, it looks to me too the P4P Collision Avoidance has stepped in, unfortunatelly @Gtarman52 is not showing in the video what happened next, say how many times / how long CA has attempted to avoid the collision, what happened next. The raw video without any processing would help to a better understanding.

There was approximately 30 more minutes of video of it just hanging in the trees. It was found on the ground, so it either fell after the battery quit, or fell with the wind blowing it out. It was there for a day before it was found.

In the video you’ve provided, starting with 0m43s it looks to me the CA has decided to override the mission activity and protect the bird from an obvious collision to the tree roof. The video ends with the bird moving slowly left and right in the same area.
The rest of 30 mins you say the original video still has, is showing the same environment image with the bird flying on the same position ?
If yes, then it looks to me the bird was being protected by its 360 degrees CA and finally landed in the tree due to the battery ending.

@Meta4, @Fly Dawg, other gurus, shouldn’t we ask @Gtarman52 to provide too the DAT file, since I’m pretty sure it will show what further happened during 30 mins after CSV’s last recorded time 02m20.3s ?
As I remember @BudWalker has that special sw tool that analyses DAT files.

to provide too the DAT file, since I’m pretty sure it will show what further happened during 30 mins after CSV’s last recorded time 02m20.3s ?
Personally, I don't feel that to be necessary in this case. It really has no bearing on anything as to what happened. I think those questions have been answered. I didn't see an "Active" front OA sensor at the end of the data, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't active, since the signal was in and out. Yes the .dat files will contain the final 30 min or so, but again, unnecessary.

Reactions: Gtarman52
Waypoint 3 obviously was an accidental addition. 30meters is the "default" waypoint altitude and was never changed. The above posted altitude graph is quite crude and not very accurate, but none the less that is close to correct. Looking at the image below, I suggest that the AC hit the trees far before it ever reached Waypoint 3. According to the profile there is a 45 degree incline before Waypoint 3. Most likely the AC will be found within the yellow circle below.

View attachment 104744
Question, if this was a P4P, would obstacle avoidance prevented this disaster?

This is the best ever promotion for the Obstacle Avoidance System built into DJI’s P4P !
Thanks @bsartist

Last edited:
Question, if this was a P4P, would obstacle avoidance prevented this disaster?
Maybe, maybe not. OA is not an exact science. Especially true with trees. Most "surfaces" can be detected and avoided, but trees are a bit different due to the intermittency of the foliage. With no foliage, you can pretty much count out any OA, it will not see the smaller bare branches at all, there is just not enough surface area to detect. With full foliage, it may or may not.

Pretty amazing video till the end. Great job by Fly Dawg & you on the recovery. All hail Fly Dawg !

Yes to State Farm! Agent told me everything was covered, including fly aways, or lost in water! Great insurance to have.

Jim
WA5TEF

Some agents tell you different things though. I’ve had one tell me I was only covered flying on my property. I talked to a different one and he gave me no such restrictions.

Yeah for sure! This current agent told me a year ago that they did not write drone insurance but after continually on the forums about State Farm, I checked again when my V 2.0 came in a couple of weeks ago and they were glad to write it! Said it covered anything. All they needed was the original invoice showing purchase price and $60.00 and it was covered! My previous policy was with Farm Bureau for $55.00 a year but it had a $100 deductible and had to have the pieces to prove a loss. State Farm's policy is really unbelievable coverage at that price!

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

I lost my P4P today on a litchi mission. Flew about 3 minutes then I lost connection. It was set to 390 feet. I have the CSV files but it will not let me attach a CSV file on here. It was last shown on the make over the woods with 91 % battery. Any ideas ? I have insurance through State Farm, but I don't know if you have to find the drone to collect.
Yes the State Farm policy is amazing however they would not renew my policy within the year was over because I had filed a claim. I have my auto policy with them and my homeowners policy with them but they would not renew my personal property insurance that covered my drones.

Yeah for sure! This current agent told me a year ago that they did not write drone insurance but after continually on the forums about State Farm, I checked again when my V 2.0 came in a couple of weeks ago and they were glad to write it! Said it covered anything. All they needed was the original invoice showing purchase price and $60.00 and it was covered! My previous policy was with Farm Bureau for $55.00 a year but it had a $100 deductible and had to have the pieces to prove a loss. State Farm's policy is really unbelievable coverage at that price!

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
Agreed.

Bill
N2ASA

Yes the State Farm policy is amazing however they would not renew my policy within the year was over because I had filed a claim. I have my auto policy with them and my homeowners policy with them but they would not renew my personal property insurance that covered my drones.

.This is what happened to me last year. P4P went into the Comal River. State Farm paid off like clockwork, but didn't continue my coverage. Keep meaning to try again at a different SF agent in town, but haven't done it

Yes I’ve heard that you can be cancelled after a loss. Which may seem draconian. But as I’ve thought about it maybe it’s still a good deal. I guess they don’t want it to be a replacement for sound risk management. If you are going to lose your drone twice as a hobbyist then maybe they feel you should pay after the first one. You’re just not a good risk. And it’s not a charity. ;)

May be a good point. $60 is dirt cheap and I probably can’t expect them to keep covering my $1500 drone if I keep crashing it. Just my $.02. ;)

Reactions: Gtarman52

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj