Litchi-Flights Yawed 360˚ at Heading Changes

Reaction score
LItchi auto missions resulted in the P3P yawing 360˚ at certain waypoints; do not know why; never have seen this happen.
Expected dance at waypoint 1 but into each flight I could see the drone pivoting 360 degrees.
Checked AirData but compass passed in all flights; GPS was 9-10 just over takeoff Homepoints; satellites were at least 15 during remainder of flights.

Ha anyone encountered this with Litchi?

I've encountered that once. It happened at a particularly acute angled waypoint. Less than 45 degrees with no curvature. Seemed like the bird got confused as to which way to turn to continue. Mine actually yawed to the right, and then changed it's mind and yawed to the left (the intended rotation) to continue. That was the only time I experienced something like that. I now put at least a slight curve into every waypoint so the flight direction is more obvious to the craft's bird brain. I'm just guessing that helps.

I've encountered that once. It happened at a particularly acute angled waypoint. Less than 45 degrees with no curvature. Seemed like the bird got confused as to which way to turn to continue. Mine actually yawed to the right, and then changed it's mind and yawed to the left (the intended rotation) to continue. That was the only time I experienced something like that. I now put at least a slight curve into every waypoint so the flight direction is more obvious to the craft's bird brain. I'm just guessing that helps.
I'll second this view. The changes in camera direction need to be as gradual as possible so that Litchi can intuitively know the shortest yaw angle change that would take it to the next waypoint's camera direction.

Reactions: kyrvas
Thanks MapMaker53 for your response. From my chart below it doesn't seem that the camera angle change is the problem; but perhaps the lack of curvature is? I'll have to look at my other flight that day which had the same 360˚ Yaw problem.

Litchi Yaws 360˚ on Some WPs?

YAW INTENDED LITCHI
WP HEADING CHANGE DIRECTION DIRECTION
1 221˚
2 221˚
3 185˚ 36˚ CCW CW 360˚
4 185˚
5 165˚ 20˚ CCW CW 360˚
6 235˚
7 330˚ 95˚ CW Litchi yawed proper direction

WPs 1 thru 5 are virtually no curve but the camera angle Yaw change does not seem dramatic between 2 & 3, nor between 4 & 5. Whereas, 6 to 7 changes 95 degrees with the intended Yaw/camera angle response; but the path does curve.

The formatting of my chart is lost when I see it posted; but now before I edit it, it is back to the proper column format???

Last edited:
I'll second this view. The changes in camera direction need to be as gradual as possible so that Litchi can intuitively know the shortest yaw angle change that would take it to the next waypoint's camera direction.
Thanks for your input Billie. From my chart above, it does not seem to be the the acuteness of the camera change. I think that Litchi does a good job of smoothing out the camera angle transition but I will check past flights that have never shown this behavior to see if they had similar Yaw/camera plots.

1647580927814.png

My obession with flight extends to ultra-realistic flight path creation for the PMDG Boeing 737NG in the virtual skies of Microsoft Flight Simulator, where I learned to plot (Place-Bearing-Distance) waypoints using the FMC/CDU, and it was during that process that the necessity of creating smooth curving turns became ingrained, since such gradual turns are necessary to prevent the lumbering passenger jet from exceeding a standard 20-degree bank angle.

Veering back to Litchi Mission Hub, I have copied here one of the more complex flight paths I created out here in the boonies for my trusty old Phantom3 Standard, entailing multiple orbits to view points of interest from every conceivable perspective. After a fair bit of practice I was able to fine-tune the curves and camera orientations so as to eliminate all abrupt and jarring camera pans during the flight.

Attachments

• Curvature.png
    Curvature.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
Reactions: kyrvas
View attachment 123722

My obession with flight extends to ultra-realistic flight path creation for the PMDG Boeing 737NG in the virtual skies of Microsoft Flight Simulator, where I learned to plot (Place-Bearing-Distance) waypoints using the FMC/CDU, and it was during that process that the necessity of creating smooth curving turns became ingrained, since such gradual turns are necessary to prevent the lumbering passenger jet from exceeding a standard 20-degree bank angle.

Veering back to Litchi Mission Hub, I have copied here one of the more complex flight paths I created out here in the boonies for my trusty old Phantom3 Standard, entailing multiple orbits to view points of interest from every conceivable perspective. After a fair bit of practice I was able to fine-tune the curves and camera orientations so as to eliminate all abrupt and jarring camera pans during the flight.

Billie - that is indeed a Magic Carpet Ride!

Reactions: Billie Nelson
Here are two images with (hopefully formatted columns) WPs, headings, Yaw Changes, Intended Direction (CW/CCW), and Litchi Direction.

After looking at the NE Fwd-Rvs WP data (WP 5 to 6 has no intended Yaw change, yet, Litchi still rotated the AC 360˚), it may be a Rotation Direction setting in the Mobile App; I've been using Manual but I should test these two missions with the Managed setting?

Attachments

• StoneSlope WPs.png
    StoneSlope WPs.png
    679.9 KB · Views: 65
  • StoneSlope Yaw DAta.png
    StoneSlope Yaw DAta.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 102
  • NE Fwd-Rvs WPs.png
    NE Fwd-Rvs WPs.png
    356 KB · Views: 64
  • NE Fwd-Rvs Yaw Data.png
    NE Fwd-Rvs Yaw Data.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 91
Hello Billie and MapMaker53,

Today, I tested the Rotations Direction options in the Litchi mobile app: Switching to "Managed" rotated all headings correctly (taking the shortest direction) and eliminated the 360˚ orbits. Yay! Hope this helps with your flights. Thanks again for your inputs; they spurred me on toward a solution.

Hello Billie and MapMaker53,

Today, I tested the Rotations Direction options in the Litchi mobile app: Switching to "Managed" rotated all headings correctly (taking the shortest direction) and eliminated the 360˚ orbits. Yay! Hope this helps with your flights. Thanks again for your inputs; they spurred me on toward a solution.
I hadn't heard of the "managed" setting to which you refer and will be sure and apply it to all my flight plans going forward. This insight is appreciated for sure. Anyone patient enough to pore over the posts in this forum will be rewarded with a wealth of useful discoveries that could otherwise fly under the radar.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31