Anyone else have heading drift between waypoints with litchi?

Reaction score
I just did a couple of litchi flights this evening, with 500 meters or so between the first two waypoints. The flights went well, but when I was watching them I noticed that at the start of the first waypoint the aircraft (P4A) was headed straight towards the center of the screen. By the time it got to the end the aircraft was still going straight, but the heading was about 10 degrees to the right.

In this particular mission the first two waypoints are straight down a railroad track, 20 meters above it. At first I thought perhaps the tracks were screwing up the compass, as I've had that happen when manually flying down tracks, but when I watched the other mission that was not over tracks I noticed the same heading drift when waypoints were a long ways apart.

It still flies to the correct waypoint setting, but the camera/heading has a slow drift to the right. I have noticed this while flying FPV mode, with both GO and Litchi apps, and on both my P4 and P4A aircraft.

I calibrated the compass before the flight too. My waypoint setting is AUTO(TNW)

So I don't know if this is a Litchi issue or a Phantom issue. I'm guessing the latter as I get the drift when manually flying too.

Maybe I'll try a manual waypoint flight with GO app with similar distances and see if the heading drift is there too.

Just curious is anyone else gets this, and if so, how did they deal with it.

update: when I watched the full video I noticed that the heading drift was to the left when heading north, and right when heading south, so definitely seems to be a compass issue as it seems to have a tendency to drift west.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
I only had read of a known drift when circling a POI years ago, but I think that was ironed out. I use Litchi often and haven't noticed any drift myself, but to be honest I probably wouldn't because my waypoint flights tend to be fluid with POIs constantly changing from one subject area to another as I fly a site.

I will recalibrate the IMU again, and read the article about calibrating the compass properly.

Meanwhile, here is a snip from the video, between waypoints 1 & 2. The flight is over a poplar tree plantation. You notice the gap in the trees at the start about 2/3 up the screen, just left of center.

Place your mouse pointer on that gap and watch where it is as the video progresses.

Here is a screen cap of the mission, you will notice waypoint 2 is right in that gap, however I realize that may not translate to exact coordinates when it's flown. In any case you can see the drift in the video,

heading test.JPG

Reactions: RodPad

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl