Litchi: establishin control upon return from a mission

Reaction score
I have some questions about flying a mission during which the connection with RC is lost. I fly P3S. Several minutes after the connection with the RC is lost, the RC starts beeping. How can I stop the beeping? Do I turn the RC off , and then immediately turn it back on?

The RC of P3S has several LED dots. The most left dot indicates the connection status. The other dots indicate the RC's battery level. When the connection is lost, the left dot switches from green to red; upon return, the left dot ordinarily switches back to green and the smartphone starts displaying the video. However, on at least two occasions the left dot remained red and never switched to green; the smartphone displayed "SIGNAL LOST." On all my missions, the last WP is set to self-landing, and it is positioned as close as possible to the take-off point. So, on those two occasions when the drone was descending for landing, I was able to fully control it with the RC--even though the left dot was still red and the smartphone displayed "SIGNAL LOST."

On the first occasion the mission was initiated from a tight place surrounded by obstacles, so the ability to guide the landing upon return from the mission was extremely important. Luckily, I was able to do so, but it was extremely confusing because (1) I had to ignore the RC's LED indicator which I usually trust; I discovered that I can still control the drone inadvertently, and (2) I could not see FPV and any other information on the smartphone which I need at least to figure out the drone's orientation. Any thoughts why the connection with the RC sometimes is not properly re-established?

Last edited:
Reason why signal is lost near to you is because its most likely above your head.... You won't get connection there as the signal is shooting outwards and not upwards. Basically just make the last way point near your first way point then take back control when you regain signal and all will be good

You can lower your antenna, so they are parallel with the sky, if you must fly above you. That will direct the signal upward, dishes on the antenna would increase the signal even more.
Of course you would want to turn the antenna when the AC is not above you anymore.

The issue is that the RC failed to indicate to me and to the smartphone that the connection was re-established. I was able to control the drone when it came back from the mission, but the issue is that I had no clue about it, I discovered this wholly accidentally--despite LED indicator and the smartphone telling me otherwise.

I know that when the drone is flying right above the pilot's head the connection with the drone may be lost--particularly when the drone flies way too high. I downloaded .DAT files from the drone. The status of connectedToRC was "Connected" at the beginning of the mission, then changed to "Not Connected" when the mission was in progress. The landing initiated at 120m, but the status changed to "Connected" only at ~60m. So it is well possible that the connection was not established at 120m because at that moment the drone was right above my head and was also too high. However, once the drone descended to 60m, the connection was fully established. Is it possible that this is simply a bug that occurs only during self-landing? In other words, if the RC connection is re-established during self-landing the RC will not indicate so and the smartphone will continue showing "SIGNAL LOST"?

This makes me wonder if this is a Wi-Fi connection issue ( Since you are flying a Standard) and not totally an app issue. I have never seen this oddity with my P3A. It always restores connection when within range, regardless of overhead or antenna orientation and the app and controller respond normally. Since you apparently have reviewed the log files, were there any other anomalies at all? Such as Strong Interference in particular. That could possibly cause erroneous data transfers from telemetry. But, being in a "Lost Signal" scenario, there is no Telemetry. Your possible "bug" scenario is also a possibility, but less likely IMO.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94