Litchi/AutoPilot Apps void your warranty

Should this be legal?

• Total voters
Reaction score
It took DJI 22 days of asking questions and reading my flight logs before they told me that a battery failure which caused my crash was not under warranty because I used a 3rd party app. I advised them in the beginning that I used Litchi. But how can an App cause a cell to go bad?
DJI support.us via freshdesk.com
1:49 PM (47 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Dear Mr. 6

Our company does not warranty flights that have been flown with 3rd party applications

We would like to offer you 15% off a new purchase of a Phantom 3 Professional - Aircraft (Excludes Remote Controller and Battery Charger)

To accept this offer, please reply affirmatively, and a coupon code for this item will be mailed to you.

Please also reply with your proof of purchase for your product.

**Failure to include the proper paperwork and proof of purchase will delay this process.**

Thank you for your patience and support of DJI.

Ask them why they support 3rd party API's and even use that as a selling point to buy their products.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardmy6
And here is an email that someone else on another forum shared from the person in charge of partner relations at DJI, he says in the letter that it will not void the warranty as long as it is mechanical failure -

====
Subject: Re: URGENT: Re: Autopilot
Date: September 23, 2015 at 7:53:14 PM CDT
To: Jim McAndrew <[email protected]>

Hi Jim,

I’ve forwarded everything over to Social, and they should be able to get the posts up soon. Also forwarded the updates to the web team for the DJI Developer site showcase.

Simply flying a DJI aircraft using a third party app doesn’t void the warranty. However, if the pilot crashes or causes damage that is not due to mechanical failure, then it’s their responsibility to cover at least some if not all of the estimated repair cost.

- Ryan====

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Simply unacceptable!

They don't support 3rd party batteries either. I say when it comes to warranty, don't use 3rd party equipment (and apps) and you have no worries.

Me? I'm too **** honest for my own good. I've crashed my P3S before and it was my fault. Can't see warranty being valid after it is crashed. I have replaced the motor, I repaired a gimbal ear, and seriously doubt DJI will ever see it again. Parts are plentiful and cheap.

As for batteries, the 3rd party app can affect how the drone flies (it does) and as such, battery usage is different from when using the stock GO app. Just because you pay for something doesn't mean it is better than something is that's free.

With that being said, no, I don't think your Litchi app screwed up your battery anymore than it screwed up my 3rd party battery.

But I don't think DJI has any moral dilemma from not warranty the battery.

They don't support 3rd party batteries either. I say when it comes to warranty, don't use 3rd party equipment (and apps) and you have no worries.

Me? I'm too **** honest for my own good. I've crashed my P3S before and it was my fault. Can't see warranty being valid after it is crashed. I have replaced the motor, I repaired a gimbal ear, and seriously doubt DJI will ever see it again. Parts are plentiful and cheap.

As for batteries, the 3rd party app can affect how the drone flies (it does) and as such, battery usage is different from when using the stock GO app. Just because you pay for something doesn't mean it is better than something is that's free.

With that being said, no, I don't think your Litchi app screwed up your battery anymore than it screwed up my 3rd party battery.

But they do support 3rd party apps...say so on their website.
I think the OP just got someone that didn't know what they are talking about. I am sure we will get lots of feedback once more users get home from work and see this.
Crazy though.

Ask litchi to help you.

There are posts on this and DJI forums that detail at least one case where DJI initially denied warranty coverage an a phantom that crashed using the autopilot app. Autoflight assisted the operator in encouraging autopilot to come to the party.

Ask DJI to send you your .dat file. From your.post they should have it handy as they claim to have reviewed your flight log. Post it here and i am sure you will get aome assistamce in determining the cause.

Battery or AC hardware failure should be covered to the extent the flight app isnt the cause.

Good luck.

But this is not a question of battery usage, the OP states it's battery usage. I suspect it has something to do with low cells.

I think DJI does have an issue. During these past few months they have changed the firmware and app to report issues with batteries and offer warnings. For example, if the batteries are something like 15C the motors won't start. However, only the DJI Pilot app reports this as an issue, other apps do nothing... the motors just won't start. Also, the DJI Pilot app gives a warning when the batteries are warmer then 15C but colder then something like 25C. The motors will still start though. Other apps don't give this warning, you just fly without knowing anything about the warning. I _suspect_ this is why "DJI" stated as mentioned from the OP. However, as so many other people mentioned, it does not matter... that is on DJI.

My first question to DJI... where in the warranty does it state flying with a 3rd party app voids the warranty? DJI knows this is being done, THEY MADE THE SDK THAT ALLOWS IT! DJI's warranty wording is _really_ terrible! A 10 year old would see that it does not past any legal muster. It's required to have some basic wording that is missing (is needs to state if it's a full or limited warranty, it needs to have the warrantors address, it's _extremely_ vague which favors the customer, etc.).

OP, I think your issue is that, I think, DJI uses a 3rd party company to repair their products. Its the same company that does the purchased warranty repairs as well as the included warranty repairs. DJI is not supervising what they do or managing them so this company is just running shotgun. Some of the crap they say is beyond stupidity. They told me that that stickers were excluded in the warranty. I asked then where it said this and (without taking a second) they said it's not mentioned in the warranty. So they don't mind flat out lying to people.

I just got back from small claims court over a lawsuit I filed against DJI for breach of warranty. Court offered a default judgment (I declined and asked for a continuance). To file a class action lawsuit means you need to have a lot of plaintiff's and something like $10,000 in damages. While I think this is possible, the only people who make money in a class action suit are the attorneys. Most other people get about $2 in swag if they take a few hours to respond.

Ask litchi to help you.

There are posts on this and DJI forums that detail at least one case where DJI initially denied warranty coverage an a phantom that crashed using the autopilot app. Autoflight assisted the operator in encouraging autopilot to come to the party.

Ask DJI to send you your .dat file. From your.post they should have it handy as they claim to have reviewed your flight log. Post it here and i am sure you will get aome assistamce in determining the cause.

Battery or AC hardware failure should be covered to the extent the flight app isnt the cause.

Good luck.

My battery was not only Factory but under warranty my flight logs showed battery failure and nothing else was wrong. Not to mention I found this piece of information that shows it is illegal 4 DJI not to honor their warranty at least in the US.

In USA Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C.§ 2301)

And to be completely transparent, so that anyone reading this will know Im not bashing DJI just because I want to cover up my mistake, I will share my last flight log when the crash occured.

Reactions: MasterBlaster
Ask litchi to help you.

Good luck.
I bet if you go on Litchi's Facebook page and ask for help with this, they will respond rather quickly offering their help. I would guess that They have contacts there. JMO

I bet if you go on Litchi's Facebook page and ask for help with this, they will respond rather quickly offering their help. I would guess that They have contacts there. JMO

Contacts almost undoubtedly. They also have a user base to support and grow and the message that using their app voids warranty wouldnt be helpful.

I actuallysent them an email. They just said that its 50/50 with DJI. So not muchhelp with Litchi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.