Using Litchi voids warranty

Reaction score
I described my story in different post

Dealing with DJI

I just want to warn those who are using third party app (like Litchi) that according to DJI it Voids Warranty.

Unfortunately I did not get any respond from Litchi yet but DJI send me email after my P4 flew away into the tree

Repairs cannot begin until the invoice is paid. This will not be a warranty repair unfortunately, a 3rd party app was used during this flight, which is not covered under warranty.

Funny thing is I did not find any information about that in Warranty Specs

1. The following conditions must be met for warranty service:
  1. During warranty period, product is normal used, as intended by the manufacturer.
  2. No unauthorized disassembling, modification or installation has been performed.
  3. Labels, Serial Numbers, waterproof mark, false proof mark, etc. show no signs of tampering or altering;
  4. Valid proof-of-purchase, receipt or order number DJI Online Store
2. Following situations are not subject to warranty service conditions:
  1. Crash or burning caused by non-manufacturing factors.
  2. Damage caused by unauthorized modification, disassembling or shell opening which did not follow the instruction of official manuals.
  3. Damage caused by improper installation, or incorrect use or operation despite of the guidance of manuals.
  4. Damage caused by unauthorized modification of circuit, mismatch or misuse of battery and charger.
  5. Damage caused by any flights which didn’t follow the instructions of the manuals.
  6. Damage caused by operation in bad weather (i.e. strong wind, rain, sand/dust storm, etc.)
  7. Damage caused by operating the unit in an electromagnetic interference environment (i.e. mining area, radio transmitting tower, high-voltage wire, substation, etc.).
  8. Damage caused by operating the unit in a known environment with interference with other wireless devices (i.e. transmitter, video-link, Wi-Fi signals, etc.).
  9. Damage caused by operating the unit with a weight greater than safe takeoff weight.
  10. Damage caused by forced flight when components have been aged or damaged.
  11. Damage caused by reliability or compatibility issues when using unauthenticated third-party parts.
  12. Damage caused by operating the unit with a low charged or defective battery.
It is shameful that DJI try to take any responsibility for their product. If there is a clause about using third party app please let me know.
I could not find anything on Litchi site as well.

Honestly I don't believe for a second that Litchi is responsible for fly-away but if DJI will void warranty such a information should be presented to buyers of Litchi App

Last edited:
11. Damage caused by reliability or compatibility issues when using unauthenticated third-party parts.
So, not only that Litchi is "authenticated" app which uses DJI SDK, you can get warranty repair if using "unauthenticated" app if you crash because of DJI hardware problem? Am I reading this right?

Based on the language you quoted above, it is easy to see why using a third-party app does not meet the requirement of "as intended by the manufacturer." It is not a legal stretch for DJI to take the position that it sold you a drone with the application it intended you to use to fly it. I am not suggesting you have to like that interpretation, but certainly the language is there.

It doesn't say anything snout using software other than DJI. It only refers to parts. One way or another anything regarding using third party software should be posted.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I found this in the FAQ's for AutoPilot:

Does using Autopilot void my warranty?

From DJI: Simply flying a DJI aircraft using a third party app does not void the warranty. However, if the pilot crashes or causes damage that is not due to mechanical failure, then it’s their responsibility to cover at least some if not all of the estimated repair cost.

Reactions: Juergen B
I found this in the FAQ's for AutoPilot:

Does using Autopilot void my warranty?

From DJI: Simply flying a DJI aircraft using a third party app does not void the warranty. However, if the pilot crashes or causes damage that is not due to mechanical failure, then it’s their responsibility to cover at least some if not all of the estimated repair cost.

Easy enough to understand and totally clear, isn't it? And it totally confirms to what I know from German law.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app (living near Cologne, Germany)

In an email DJI informed me that I'm responsible for covering cost of the repairs because I was using Nitchi during this faithful flight. I've send them logs and aircraft. They could really read data but still refused.

Did they quote a cost of repairing it?

Curious if the repair price is lower than if they said, "So sorry for your crash. Please buy another at list price since you didn't use an approved app (or whatever)." Some gear I've seen gets a "Beyond economical repair" response from a dropped accident (Nikon.).

It is just $200.00. For me is more about principle of respecting warranty and professional customer service. It's more about finding problem of malfunction thank blaming user of inappropriate operating. It's almost three weeks from accident and I'm not any closer to find a reason for fly away.

If you have the time and money, I think you have a case. They should be honoring the warranty based on their own terms. If you really wanted to, you could sue them in small claims court. That said, I really doubt it is worth your time, money, or effort.

Joe

Final words from DJI about my case

The decision will not change unfortunately, damage caused while using a 3rd party app is not covered under the warranty. The manual recommends downloading the DJI Go app to use the Phantom, so this is where it would be explained that it's not covered.

The screenshot I sent is from http://www.dji.com/service/policy. It specifically talks about damage caused by flights where third party parts are used under L. I don't know if an app can be considered a part, that would be a question for legal. However; there is an entire section in the manual devoted to downloading and using our Go app, so not using it would certainly fall under F., damage caused by flights which did not follow the manual recommendations.

Thanks for the information FlipFlap. It's a shame the warranty provisions are written in such a terrible way, at least it was a 200.00 repair, and not more..

I have one question though, once you get you aircraft back will you continue to use Litchi?

I don't know yet. First I'll record aircraft behavior and check reactions. Litchi has some features I like a lot on the other hand dealing with DJI customer support is scary perspective. They just don't give a crap.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj