Litchi.....a bit disappointed

Reaction score
So, I recently acquired litchi to use on my Android tablet and have to admit to being a bit disappointed. I have flown it several times and am impressed with it's functionality but what let's it down for me is that I appear to need to upgrade my tablet. DJI Go works just fine on the same tablet.
I found litchi to be slow to respond to camera commands and some of the mission response unacceptable. I had to use DJI Go on a recent job,....I felt I couldn't really on litchi.
So, in the fullnes of time I will probably update my tablet to one that litchi recommends but I'm not sure the needs of the tablet are sufficiently emphasized when you purchase litchi.
My Lenovo tablet has quad-core processor and 2gb ram.

Maybe I missed something along the way....

What Tablet are you currently suffering with ?

What if anything was specified as hardware requirements on the play store?

It sounds like you are running a low spec device. I think it’s reasonable for app developers to code for higher performance hardware to take advantage of the performance benefits.

You may need to reconsider your expectations or perhaps ask for a refund if it wasn’t made clear what the hardware requirements are for satisfactory performance.

Litchi needs a more powerful device then DJI go as it has more functions such as mission settings, but i do understand that if your doing a normal flight then it shouldn't be a problem if DJI go can run it fine. It's a case of different apps require different specs to run the programme

Reactions: RodPad
Yes, I'm not suggesting for one moment that litchi itself is disappointing .. In fact I'm very impressed.... Just disappointed that I now appear to need to upgrade my tablet..... Just making others aware. It wasn't what I anticipated.

It could be worth removing all the apps you dont need and just leaving the basics on there, also before you start the Litchi app, do you close all other running apps? then start the Litchi app,
this will free up ram.

I have had far fewer performance issues with Litchi than DJI GO and DJI GO 4. I'm kinda surprised, but I haven't tried it with an economy tablet. I used to only use Android Tablets but made the switch to an iPad Air 2 about a year ago and have had zero problems with it. I now also use the CrystalSky which has been pretty decent too. Maybe when you upgrade have a drone only tablet and only keep Litchi and DJI GO on it.

Litchi is unusable on a CrystalSky, due to video lag and choppiness. According to CPU-Z, my CS has a Rockchip RK3066 4-core CPU @1.61GHz with a Mali-T760 GPU. Just an FYI before you go out and get a more expensive tablet, just to run Litchi.

Litchi is unusable on a CrystalSky, due to video lag and choppiness. According to CPU-Z, my CS has a Rockchip RK3066 4-core CPU @1.61GHz with a Mali-T760 GPU. Just an FYI before you go out and get a more expensive tablet, just to run Litchi.
Ive been using Litchi on my CS since the Beta for the Mavic Air was released with no problems or Lag. I've been using it with my P4P for a couple months on the CS too.

Weird I've had zero problems on mine. I'm using the latest Litchi version from the Google Play Store though as I rooted my CS (I also wanted Google Maps).

Weird I've had zero problems on mine. I'm using the latest Litchi version from the Google Play Store though as I rooted my CS (I also wanted Google Maps).

I would be very interested in learning how to root my CS. Do you happen to know where I could find information on how to do that?

It's a Lenovo TB3-850F CPU 1 ghz and 2gb ram

You would think that a 1 ghz quad core and 2 gb of free memory would be enough to but, as @With The Birds eluded to, those resources are likely a bit underwhelming when running Litchi or Go apps. I had a very similar problem with an LG device having similar specifications that struggled to keep up with the Go app. I eventually upgraded to a Galaxy S5 2.5 ghz quad core with 4 gb of free memory, and that solved my problem. I'm currently running the Go4 app on the S5 as well with good results but, I've upgraded to an M3 Mediapad with an octa core and a larger screen. If you haven't already done so, transfer as many apps from the device memory to the SD card as possible to free up valuable system resources, and clean out your system cache regularly. Good luck.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Would enabling "air plane mode" even help some more i do that with my Go app and it helps on my SAMSUNG tablet so ? just trying to be of a help.

Would enabling "air plane mode" even help some more i do that with my Go app and it helps on my SAMSUNG tablet so ? just trying to be of a help.

That's been a recommendation which can help in some situations. If it helps improve your device's performance, absolutely. Besides tranferring apps from internal memory to the SD card, and cleaning out the system cache regularly, as a general suggestion, I would move as many non-system files (photos, videos, music, documents, etc.) from internal memory to folders on the SD card. In many cases, the default storage location for those types of files is the internal memory, which is far more valuable than a repository for photos and the like. If you cache the flight video to your device, turn off that option. If you haven't enabled developer options on your android device, do that and enable hardware processing of video rather than forcing your device memory to handle that intensive function. Additional free internal (system accessed) memory is generally the easiest and most cost effective way to improve device performance.

Last edited:
As apps get larger, and more function intensive, many devices that operated perfectly fine a year, or even a few months, ago may struggle to keep up because, typically, the resources available to your device (memory and processing power) are fixed, and don't increase to keep pace with ever-developing app requirements. With most mobile devices, short of adding an SD card for additional storage, what you get for memory and processor are what you'll have for the life of the device. As you add stuff (apps and files) to your device, if it ends up in the internal memory, then you've reduced already limited resources. That's why the recommendation to move as much stuff out of internal memory and onto the SD card.

Runnin......What a great informative post.....your so right !........i'm very appreciative of peoples post like that is.......Thank You...and I'm on a great learning experience here too........so i can help others like you are....Thank you all !

Thanks guys..many useful and informative suggestions.
I think my way forward will be to acquire a drone only tablet and keep all other apps off it. The M3 looks promising and was one of Litchi suggestions.
At the moment my tablet is used for all purposes..... maybe I'm expecting too much from it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl