Limp gimbal on p4

Reaction score
The last several flights with my p4,at some point the gimbal will just collapse.
Watching it on video it's filming fine then all of a sudden it just loosens up and flops around til I land and turn off and back on.
When I restart it's fine and the next flight or two may go ok then once again it will give way again.
This happens with dji go4 app. As well as litchi.
Many thanks in advance,
John
P.s. I'm computer illiterate pretty much so keep this in mind if suggesting I check data files.
I'm a member of air data and no warnings and I don't know how to post the video here with my iPad or do I know how to check deeper into air data program.
P.s.s The wind was only 5 mph but could that be a factor?

Last edited:
John,

There have been several reported cases very similar to yours. Normal flight with no problems then with no warning the camera gimbal just flops over dead!

I will admit it scared the heck out of me the first time it happened as I thought the P4 was headed into the ground. As it was I was out about 500 feet and 200 feet up when it happened.

I haven't seen this happen in probably my last 100 flights but I'm sure it will come back this week now that I've mentioned it on the forum!!

After a restart and new battery, everything appeared to come back normal and has been that way for a month or so now.

AD

Reactions: JohnnyD913
Awd it sounds like I'm experiencing what you unfortunately had to also endure.
It will scare the crap out of you and once I was way out when it happened.
It sounds like mine has it worse cause out of last 10 flights about half those ended in this
Way.
I'm not sure if I should try a warranty claim or just carry on and hope it does like yours and just get better.
As for now I think I will hope for the best and maybe all that's behind us.
Thanks for replying, sorry to hear you had this little quirk too but it sounds as if your ok.

John,

There have been several reported cases very similar to yours. Normal flight with no problems then with no warning the camera gimbal just flops over dead!

I will admit it scared the heck out of me the first time it happened as I thought the P4 was headed into the ground. As it was I was out about 500 feet and 200 feet up when it happened.

I haven't seen this happen in probably my last 100 flights but I'm sure it will come back this week now that I've mentioned it on the forum!!

After a restart and new battery, everything appeared to come back normal and has been that way for a month or so now.

AD

AWD did you have winds very high that day?
I'm thinking that last time I flew it was blowing about 8 m.p.h and today it's about 5-8 m.p.h

There have been a number of threads regarding the 'limp gimbal' and no definitive fix other than to restart and fly again. I've had it twice over the last 10 months and I've read it's possibly a battery issue but nothing turns up in the logs and it occurs at random heights, distances and wind speeds. The latest iOS app update noted 'bug fixes' (?) so who knows, may have to wait for the next firmware update.

John,

At first I also thought it might be from flying "too fast" and into the wind while doing whatever it was I was working on. But then it happened once while just hovering for a shot. Luckily I knew what it was by then and didn't freak out like the first time.

It did ruin the shot though, so I had that going for me.

AD

For me it's 3 times in the last 3 months, 2 times in flight and a couple of days ago it was on take off, it wasn't completely limp more like a drunk gimbal, slow motion up down sideways, I tough I was in FPV for a second, I had to check..nope, landed and restarted and flew 4 batteries with no issues.

Exactly!!!!!
You guys have nailed it. What happened to me is as all of you describe. I never thought about the battery! "DUH JOHN" that sounds reasonable and I'm gonna check the logs
And see if anything crazy with the #1 and #2 battery happened.
Many thanks to all you guys and don't let your gimbal flop! Lol

Happened to me yesterday and for a few seconds there I was wondering how I’m going to buy another drone. Looking at the data I can see I had a 18mph wind gust recorded at the exact moment the gimbal went crazy. Definitely a puckering up experience seeing blue sky and the lights and arms of the Phantom. Made an interesting video for sure. First time that happened to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik