lightbridge firmware PROBLEM (and solution) - firmware version not found by dji assistant tool

Hi, I have a P2V+ that was sitting on a shelf for around 3 years. Yesterday I've tried it again, as my son seems no no longer be afraid of it :) The problem is that I don't have FPV. Checking and learning about the issues with the NAND and how to fix the bootloader through USB. I've done all of that and it has worked, but the kernel is not booting, I get:

Code:
M36x initialization passed!
UBL Product Vesion : DJI-GSP-UBL-1.0-rc10(2014-08-15)
Dji UBL Version: 1.51(Aug 15 2014 - 17:05:12)
Booting Catalog Boot Loader
BootMode = NAND
Starting NAND Copy...
Valid magicnum, 0xA1ACED66, found in block 0x00000019.
Uboot Checksum:0x7E25B44B
Actua Checksum:0x7E25B44B

U-Boot Product Vesion : DJI-GSP-Uboot-1.0-rc4(2014-07-23)
U-Boot 2010.12-rc2-svn-Dji (Jul 23 2014 - 11:14:40)
Cores: ARM 432 MHz
DDR:   297 MHz
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  128 MiB
NAND:  128 MiB
Bad block table found at page 65472, version 0x01
Bad block table found at page 65408, version 0x01
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

Net:   Ethernet PHY: GENERIC @ 0xff
DaVinci-EMAC
Press ESC to abort autoboot in 1 seconds

Loading from nand0, offset 0x4a0000
** Unknown image type
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!

Loading from nand0, offset 0x900000
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.32.17-davinci1
   Created:      2014-04-09  12:21:58 UTC
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    3823424 Bytes = 3.6 MiB
   Load Address: 80008000
   Entry Point:  80008000
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 80700000 ...
   Loading Kernel Image ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

DM36x initialization passed!

So the kernel tries to boot but the system resatarts. Any progress with P2V+ kernel? I've seen instructions to flash it through the DJI boot loader but haven't been able to find the right kneel.

Thanks!

The kernel which starts booting is a recovery kernel.

Some details on that you'll find in "Finding issues in logs from terminal" chapter in my post:

Recently someone posted a FW which he claimed was from P2Vp. That included kernel and rootfs. Try searching for that post.

The kernel which starts booting is a recovery kernel.

Recently someone posted a FW which he claimed was from P2Vp. That included kernel and rootfs. Try searching for that post.

Thank you! I found it at DJI Phantom 2 Vision FC200 EGG camera - Black video FPV solution to fix but it seems that it didn't solve my problem. I was able to flash it using YMODEM and seems to work as now I'm loading the non-recovery kernel:

Code:
BootMode = NAND
Starting NAND Copy...
Valid magicnum, 0xA1ACED66, found in block 0x00000019.
Uboot Checksum:0x7E25B44B
Actua Checksum:0x7E25B44B

U-Boot Product Vesion : DJI-GSP-Uboot-1.0-rc4(2014-07-23)
U-Boot 2010.12-rc2-svn-Dji (Jul 23 2014 - 11:14:40)
Cores: ARM 432 MHz
DDR:   297 MHz
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  128 MiB
NAND:  128 MiB
Bad block table found at page 65472, version 0x01
Bad block table found at page 65408, version 0x01
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

Net:   Ethernet PHY: GENERIC @ 0xff
DaVinci-EMAC
Press ESC to abort autoboot in 1 seconds

Loading from nand0, offset 0x4a0000
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 80700000 ...
   Loading Kernel Image ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

But as you see I still get the Starting kernel... and then reboot. I understand that the kernel is not booting as I don't see any message, or could it be the rootfs? Another question. I'm testing all of that with the wifi module alone, I understand that I don't need to connect it to the "other" wifi module in the metal case? Right?

I still get the Starting kernel... and then reboot.

Then this must be a hardware issue. Maybe with the RAM chip? I'd try a reflow.

I'm testing all of that with the wifi module alone, I understand that I don't need to connect it to the "other" wifi module in the metal case?

No, definitely not at this time. Some of DJI boards restart when not connected to the rest, but that would happen much later, after basic initialization of internal devices is done and RootFS is mounted. Only then the kernel goes with loading things which may depend on external components.

The bootloader loaded kernel into RAM, and gave it control. If it restarted just after, the kernel in RAM got damaged in the meantime, or some initial hardware initialization failed.

In fact looking in detail, the big chip next to the boot select solder points seems to have strange bulges, so probably it is damaged. I don't think that nowadays the drone value is enough to justify replacing that, so probably will have to learn to fly without FPV :/ I'm really disappointed with DJI, the reliability of this thing is appalling. Flight it maybe ten times, and was stored with the batteries out for 3-4 years. The temperature was not fully controlled but was never above or below comfortable limits. Having the hardware failing like that is something I've never seen before in a $1000+ product.

Thanks everybody here, as always the community is orders of magnitude better that then product.

the big chip next to the boot select solder points seems to have strange bulges, so probably it is damaged

Maybe. Or maybe it's just the black resin DJI uses to make it harder to figure out the chips they use.
(that's the first time I've seen a large corporation trying to hide the chip models that way; before, I've only seen that done by students when they thought their circuit is so unique and valuable..)

The chips on the usual wiki are covered in resin as well:

Dear all
My lightbridge 1 has the problem discussed in this thread. I do not have the time to repair it by myself. If anyone here would be interested to try repair in exchange of some money (to be arranged), please let me know.

Have fun
M.

Dear all,

Unfortunately I ripped off the 3.3v soldering pad on air unit. Is there another place on the board were I could access the 3.3v? I don't see any.

(I was pulling on my solder joint to assess its quality)

Thanks
M.

All the images of that board are pool quality. And test pads are not named..
(looked mostly at the github page about that board)

Anyway, the 3.3V is stabilized by a buck converter. Buck converters have a large inductor at output. Not sure at which side your 3.3V is (most likely on both sides - there's one buck which creates 3.3V, and another which converts it into lower voltages for DM365 - it requires a few voltages, enabled at specific timing), but you can definitely find the place by following the voltage regulators.

I tried to short bsel with the pin right next to it instead of the 3v3 suggested at the beggining of this thread. It worked. My lightbridge is now working again - thanks to those who developed this solution.

Seems I have an interesting problem.

Gorpo connected to HDMI screen : it works
Gopro connected to lightbridge via AV: it works
Computer connected to lightbridge HDMI: it works, lightbridge transmits what it on my computer's screen
Gopro connected to lightbridge via HDMI: does not work
Same but other (and tested) HDMI cable: does not work

I don't get it. Gopro HDMI works and lightbridge HDMI do work separately, but not togheter. Previously and right after the nand flash fix, they worked well togheter.

I guess I'll try to get some other HDMI cam and will see. Anyone here would have an explanation for this issue? It is gopro 3.

It all worked for me. Had an initial issue with coms due to being plugged into DTR pin rather than GND on the FTDI adaptor but once I realised this the flash process worked like a charm! No issues with using Windows 10 64bit ! My Thanks to the the developer!

Hi

Is there a solution for the P2V+ ground unit after firmwareproblem done by DJI?

Fabio

I still would like to repair my ground units from the p2v+. The RE700 are broken after update via android app. Is there no way to reflash them with openwrt/ddwrt/lucie?

I can't be the only affected by this problem here.
I found some posts about the same brick but no solution.

Thank you in advance

Fabio

still would like to repair my ground units from the p2v+. The RE700 are broken after update via android app. Is there no way to reflash them with openwrt/ddwrt/lucie?

We'd need the chip identified.
And we'd need the firmware binary.

OpenWRT has good forums, so having all that, you'd likely be able to find flashing details there.

Not much info on O-Gs wiki right now.

Hello guys, I have the problem described in this topic, a LB that has been off for more than 2 years! I bought the FT232RL, soldered as shown in the images, I started with the ground station,
but when I run the program (step 6) the program gets stuck in the message:
Waiting for the DM36x ...
When I turn on LB it only gives:
Target:?

if I start the program with the LB on, it doesn't even show the
"Target:?"

Has anyone ever experienced this? or can you help me?

but when I run the program (step 6) the program gets stuck in the message:
Waiting for the DM36x ...
When I turn on LB it only gives:
Target:?

Use terminal app (ie. PuTTY) to check what the board displays from the moment it gets power.

Make sure you've entered serial boot correctly.

You may want to check my guide if you're not sure what you're doing:

Hi All,

I want to say thank you to all the hard work with this. There's a number of Vision Plus units that have no live view. It's a corrup NAND in the WiFi transmitter board that responds to 192.168.1.10. Using the sfh_DM36x tool I was able to resolve this and I now have my live view back!
What did u do my doing the same thing ?

Dear guys,
My lightbridge 1 got broken again.

I did the whole procedure on my lightbridge 1. I got the "operation success" message.

Weird thing now is that even if bsel and 3v3 are disconnected, I keep getting the "bootme" message on tera term. It looks as if the board was stuck in the serial programming mode.

This is not so nice, because obviously I cannot use the board like that.

Any idea on how to come back to the normal "working" mode?

Thanks a lot

Martin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31