Lift off and landing question

Reaction score
do y'all just use the auto button for take off and landing? I've noticed in my few flights that return to home isn't close to where the drone left. I am probably doing something wrong. Also while I have your attention is it best to keep it in beginner mode for a couple weeks? My app says that I've flown over 500' already in that setting, is that accurate, or is there a calb that I need to do? Sorry, lots of questions, but I am so new to drones I want to do the right thing

Markie mantle

I think most people will tell you to manually take off and land, when I first got my phantom I always used auto never had a problem then I started reading about peoples instances where the bird flips/tips over when they used auto take-off so I just started manually taking off . As far as rth not bringing it down where it took off, the standard uses only one GPS antenna while like the pro for example uses 2 glonass GPS antennas so they will be more accurate on rth landing. A distance of 10 feet difference from take off point to landing point using just auto features seems about normal on a standard, I've noticed 10-15 feet difference on average. As far as when to take it off begginer mode that's all up to you and when you feel comfortable enough, remember just cuz u take it off beginner mode doesn't mean you have to fly it far you can keep it at distances your comfy with :)

do y'all just use the auto button for take off and landing?
I never use those features unless I'm testing something. I much prefer to be in total control of my Phantom.

When taking off, hold the left stick (throttle) in the full up position until the Phantom is about 10-15 feet in the air. Then, take some time to ensure it's hovering okay, responding to the controls as expected, etc.

When landing, slowly descend until you touch down. Then, hold the left stick in the full down position until the motors stop. A CSC will also stop the motors, but that will sometimes cause the Phantom to tip over if you do not perform the CSC properly (as depicted in the Phantom manual).

I've noticed in my few flights that return to home isn't close to where the drone left.
How close was it to the home point?

is it best to keep it in beginner mode for a couple weeks?
Again, I prefer to be in total control of my Phantom, so I've never flown in beginner mode. If you're not familiar with the controls, then start by flying in a wide open location that's free of all obstacles. Keep your Phantom in your sight until you get more comfortable with it.

I thought auto take off was a stupid idea, I have tried it once, 4' in the air,
hum anything not over your head? = Dangerous. :eek:

Rod

I thought auto take off was a stupid idea, I have tried it once, 4' in the air,
hum anything not over your head? = Dangerous. :eek:

Rod
Ikr lol let's have it take off and have it hover with props right around face level :D now granted you prolly shouldn't be taking off with the phantom only a couple feet in front of you but still 4 feet up seems kinda stupid haha 10 or 15 would be better imo

You pushing both sticks down and then in towards each other at the same time right?

Setting a distance limit is a great idea when you;ve switched out of beginner mode. Also, once you feel comfortable with controls, in a big open area, on a very calm day, flip to ATT. mode & try flying her. In ATT mode you control everything your bird does, so take it easy on the sticks until you get the feel of your bird. ATT mode is so very important to practise as there will be occasions when for various reasons, like loss of GPS for one, your bird will announce to you- Switching to ATT mode & that is not the time to learn how to use it!
The group of guys guys I occasionaly fly with, two of them had never used ATT, & both of these guys have crashed or lost a bird because of not being able to fly their craft manually.
Have fun, nothing like flying one of these babies!

Reactions: Markie Mantle
Why does my bird not take off with manual sticks? I am out of beginner mode and I still can't get it to activate

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Not sure I understand the question. Are you trying to start the motors and take off by just pushing the left stick forward? You have to start the motors first by doing what GhostRdr Tat said. Pull both sticks down and inwards at the same time to start the motors, then release them as soon as they start spinning. Once they are spinning, then use just the left stick to take off.

Yes, I got them to spin slowly once. I just use the launch button to get her in the air.
Yes. That's because the 'down and in' action just STARTS the motors. You then have to push the left stick up to take off.
You really should read the manual carefully. There are many more things that will get you in trouble if you don't.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20