Licensing Requirements

Do you have any links to some of the more drone specific instruction/study books?
You can find a list of commonly used FAA Part 107 study guides/courses/info here.

Guys I read some replies to this very reasonable request for information with some concern - how can anybody conclude or advise a licence isn’t required for stated requirements. It’s being used for work, flying over a campus - that alone is a potentially risky environment, and the only correct answer to OPs question is - that flying requires a licence. It protects the college, the students, their property, the pilot and the industry reputation we operate in.

Imagine saying to (say) 12 year old it’s ok to move the family car across a freeway, they don’t need a licence because they won’t drive fast and it’s only this once..

Guys I read some replies to this very reasonable request for information with some concern - how can anybody conclude or advise a licence isn’t required for stated requirements. It’s being used for work, flying over a campus - that alone is a potentially risky environment, and the only correct answer to OPs question is - that flying requires a licence. It protects the college, the students, their property, the pilot and the industry reputation we operate in.

Imagine saying to (say) 12 year old it’s ok to move the family car across a freeway, they don’t need a licence because they won’t drive fast and it’s only this once..
Yep. All correct. There are some people, however, despite all of this logic, reject the idea that a license or certification should be required for any consumer grade drone operation.

Yes I understand that fully, that’s a valid ongoing debate, just irrelevant imho when someone new asks for help on the rules and safety.

Reactions: flockshot
Hello,

I have just acquired a new drone for work and was wondering if my minimal amount of use would still require being licensed.
I work for a college and will be flying only around the campus and going no higher than a 4 story building. It seems excessive to need to be licensed for such minimal use.

does anyone know if there's certain uses that don't require being licensed?

Thanks

I not only agree you should get your certification, I strongly suggest you have the college you work for pay for your training and the cost of taking the test. After all, they bought a drone for you to use on the job didn't they? Surely they want someone flying it that knows the rules.
Now if you bought the drone yourself but just want to provide some pro bono drone pics to your college employer, then I even more emphatically suggest getting your certification as you obviously are interested in drones and you're going to want to know the rules and have that certification anyway. That way you don't get in trouble trying to fly above 400ft agl or over a crowd of students because you didn't know better or maybe you'll find out that you need permission or even a waiver to fly on campus due to the airspace classification or proximity to an airport. Like others have pointed out, the test isn't hard, but it does require prep.

Regardless of who bought the drone, I'd still try to get the college to pay the costs of getting your certification.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Simple s!!!
Any of your footage cross paths with money, be it video or photo by third party, you need commercial license.

to fly a drone around 500 feet I have to learn plane instruments, codes, communication procedures, and weather patterns . . . it's pretty difficult.
No it's not ! you're over thinking it . believe me if i can pass anybody can

Thanks for your help! But that's the link that's been causing me so much stress hahaha.
I've printed out and been living off of the Remote Pilot Study Guide and it's so over my head.
so much of that is not on the tests . there are courses and plenty of self study material from the FAA with all the things you need to know for part 107 . you don't need to know aircraft instruments

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers