Lens protector (and lens hood) for gopro with this gimbal?

Re: Lens protector (and lens hood) for gopro with this gimba

Someone needs to injection mold that bad boy with some silicone rubber. Make it nice and tight around the lens and I'm a buyer.

noctividus said:
Someone needs to injection mold that bad boy with some silicone rubber. Make it nice and tight around the lens and I'm a buyer.

...and fits the SRP BlurAir filters!

As promised, here's that video showing the install process-

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjUQ1H-_GTM[/youtube]

noctividus said:

Dont sorry about a tight fit, it fits very tight especially with the rubber ring around the lens of the GoPro.

noctividus said:
I had a lot of flights where the rippling just ruined shots. As a previous poster pointed out, it's the shadowing created by the blades that causes the artifact. If you have some ruined footage you can actually see that the width of the lines decreases as the blades move faster...interesting and infuriating.

I looked to buy lens hoods, but pretty much the only things out there are heavy 3-d printed variety. I found the tape/flag method here or on another forum and went with that. However, I had a lot of issues with the hood dropping into the shot with the prop-wash. Over the months, we refined the little flag and got a bunch lasercut. Well...we have a lot, so we're selling them for $5 bucks:

lenshood.png

http://www.apolloairobotic.com/products/lenshood/

These little guys slip nicely in between the Zenmuse mount and the GoPro. They've been working great, no more shadows! They're so light that it doesn't throw the gimbal off. This isn't really our business, but I figured since we have a bunch of them laying around, we'd try to recoup some laser cutting costs. Check 'em out.

Just ordered mine!

noctividus said:
This has been addressed. First person to send me how much needs to get cut off gets a free one in the mail when I do that batch.

So, today I was finally find a time to measure the space from gopro (Zenmuse H3-3D) and the ground when the gimbal is tilted all way down. The distance between the outer side of gopro and the ground is 19 mm. I hope that helps.

Gverila,

Do you have the landing gear "extenders" installed? Or, is your setup stock?

noctividus said:
Gverila,

Do you have the landing gear "extenders" installed? Or, is your setup stock?

No "extenders" installed. It is a stock setup.

Thanks everyone for buying a lens hood! They're so popular we sold out of our first batch and just cut a new batch. They're the same, except for a light score along the front edge. This is to address a problem with the H3-3D during the startup sequence where the lens hood hits the ground.

If you're installing on an H3-3D, cut along the front line with a sharp pair of scissors or razor. No modifications are necessary for the H3-2D.

Attachments

• IMAG0220.jpg
    IMAG0220.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 488

I got artifacts in my shot for the first time in a long time. Thought I'd tell you about it:

I usually shoot in 1080 Super View. I switched to 1080 at the request of a client. At that aspect ratio, the frame is more limited. I had a few shots where the blades were not visible, but the sun came in at just the right angle to cause those rolling artifacts.

I considered modifying the hoods to be a little bigger, but they have a pretty good track record aside from this instance. Just a reminder, you still need to tilt down a little when you're facing the sun.

I searched online for a gopro hero 3 lens hood and it brought me back here. Saw what else was out there and I felt with a little searching around the house I had to have something that I could fashion into or use to create my own. Found it today. It was a plastic sink stopper and it caught my eye. Took my trusty dremel tool and proceeded to cut it up. I really like this option because it inside doesn't hug the lens barrel where it is offset so allows for a little more size to hood that I cut out. as for it fitting onto gopro on the 2-D gimbal with the bracket that secures camera to gimbal I will just sand a flat spot on that side. Also thinking about spraying inside of this creation with a thin coat of flat black paint. As for the weight, holding it in my hand it weights less then a dime. I can shave off more weight around the edge that fits flush against gopro if need be. Cut the perfect hole on back side so it presses on and fit securely so no extra piece to hold it on.
Gopro Hero 3 lens hood_1.JPG Gopro Hero 3 lens hood_2.JPG Gopro Hero 3 lens hood_3.JPGGopro Hero 3+ lens hood.jpg

Last edited:
Here's one I made and super glued it to a clear lens protector. It is made from a plastic notebook cover. Total weight is 6g. When it isn't sunny out I replace it with a clear lens protector or just leave it on.
IMG_2538.jpg IMG_2540.jpg IMG_3286.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20