Lens protector (and lens hood) for gopro with this gimbal?

Reaction score
I am a new phantom owner, and while I'm trying to be careful, after a couple of flights I'm waiting on a set of prop-guards before proceeding further. I rather expect a number of additional crashes in my future.

In the mean while, I very much want a go-pro lens protector (And a lens hood actually.... Every time I turn towards the sun I get vertical banding in my image.)

I want to get a lens protector for the Go Pro before I crash again. Can anyone recommend one that will fit with this gimbal?

Re: Lens protector (and lens hood) for gopro with this gimba

Jaybee said:
I've not got one, but try this: http://www.shapeways.com/model/1222287/ ... erialId=25

BTW: If you want to get rid of the banding when facing the sun, you'll need an ND filter -- that's the only way :)

This is not correct. A simple piece of tape makes a DIY hood and prevents the prop shadows from hitting the lens.

Some ND filters accomplish the same thing by shading the lens. I can still get prop shadows when using my ND filter so I also use a hood.

panhygrous pantler said:
This is not correct. A simple piece of tape makes a DIY hood and prevents the prop shadows from hitting the lens.
Some ND filters accomplish the same thing by shading the lens. I can still get prop shadows when using my ND filter so I also use a hood.
Fair enough, I stand corrected.

Can you share your setup for the OP.

That's kind of a neat lens hood... And it might do... but I do want something a bit more protective.

Oh, Jaybee, Technically an ND filter will (Textbook here) "reduce the quantity of light entering the lens without altering it's quality." It's a fine thing, but it won't touch the banding. That's an issue of the light entering the lens too directly. It's why you see big old matt boxes on professional cameras.

I could certainly gaffer some black-wrap to the lens, and would in a pinch, but that's a jury rig solution, and I misdoubt that it would stay on with the prop-wash coming down on it.

I'd like to get a piece of safety glass over my lens, in case I crash on a rock.

GreyGhost said:
I could certainly gaffer some black-wrap to the lens, and would in a pinch, but that's a jury rig solution, and I misdoubt that it would stay on with the prop-wash coming down on it.

I'd like to get a piece of safety glass over my lens, in case I crash on a rock.

The tape hood works just fine. Prop wash is not an issue.

pdp_image_Protective_Lens_1.jpg

+

12yd-roll.png

http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/protective-lens
http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=gorilla-tape

GreyGhost said:
Oh, Jaybee, Technically an ND filter will (Textbook here) "reduce the quantity of light entering the lens without altering it's quality." It's a fine thing, but it won't touch the banding. That's an issue of the light entering the lens too directly. It's why you see big old matt boxes on professional cameras.
I was under the impression that most GoPro ND's sufficiently shade the lens, as they are larger. I recently ordered this one (not arrived yet): http://images.esellerpro.com/2633/I/823 ... 1005_L.jpg

Does this help ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyl_6E9QmZ4

The Go Pro has a fixed aperture and controls exposure using shutter speed and ISO. So when flying in a bright light source it controls exposure and compensates by increases shutter speed. Adding an ND filter reduces light hitting the sensor negating the need to increase shutter speed and the slower shutter speed allegedly allows the frames to bur more smoothly into each other reducing jello.
ND filters are rated and vary in their ability to stop light so fitting a random ND filter is a bit hit or miss but seems to work for many. It should be noted that when flying in lower light conditions such as flying into shade it may end up increasing the ISO to get the correct exposure, reducing the quality of the image with increased image noise (increased digital grain and reduced colour rendition) so they aren't a panacea for all image problems. Essentially they should only be used as required rather than just fitting and forgetting.

Adding a hood is most likely the solution to reduce flicker from the prop it acts like shading your eyes with you hand to reduce glare rather than like a pair of sunglasses or nod filter, but you need to be careful about how much it protrudes, if it protrudes too much it can cause vignetting darkening the corners of the shot.

Regarding filters, there are 37mm lens adapters available for a Go Pro and an assortment of UV/ND/CP lenses available as well as variable ND lenses. I've yet to fly with my GP attached but plan on starting out with a circular polarizing filter attached as it will protect the lens, reduce light like an ND filter and as I intend to do most of my filming on sunny days in the countryside it should produce richer colours in the sky and foliage. A CP only works if set in the correct orientation - you can use the GP's wireless function and a smartphone to do this before flight. . It's also worth noting that they are most effective when they are at 90 degrees to the sun. You may also get better results using a narrow field of view

Two problems come to mind here:

Firstly, the Zenmuse H3-3D manual says quite categorically that you should NOT fit any filters, hoods etc. to the GoPro. Presumably that warning is there for a reason.

Secondly, the GoPro's FOV is so wide that, because of that '90 degree to the sun' optimum effect, a polarising filter will give you polarising effects and non polarising effects in the same frame which can look weird (e.g. deep blue sky to the left of frame and white sky to the right). You can mitigate this by using a 'Narrow' FOV setting, but, of course, that brings other issues into play.

I am actually going to try a 'shade' (i.e. half a hood) made from black art paper and see if the gimbal objects.

My gimbal handles a filter and hood just fine. Other folks have used counterweights on their H3-2Ds for a long time with no ill effects.

Nobody has mentioned CP filters in this thread (although they work just fine in my experience)

panhygrous pantler said:
Nobody has mentioned CP filters in this thread (although they work just fine in my experience)

Nobody except WessexWyvern that is ;)

Post before mine. Last paragraph

Peter Evans said:
panhygrous pantler said:

Nobody except WessexWyvern that is ;)

Post before mine. Last paragraph

Missed that - as previously noted, using a CP while flying works just fine. However, 37mm filter adapters are overkill for this application (flying GoPro on a gimbal).

DIY hood mentioned earlier -works great, even in strong gusty winds:

Attachments

• hoodie.jpg
    hoodie.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 802

Id imagine that fitting filters is not recommended purely as a weight consideration as they cause a greater load on the motors and greater windage. This has to be weighed up against getting the shot you want and the benefits of protecting the go pro lens which is pretty vulnerable without its waterproof case. Besides the 37mm filters that are available are considerably lighter and smaller and create less windage than the 52mm lenses I've seen adapters for and gels are even lighter still. I Also suspect that using them on a calm day the windage/aerodynamic effect would cause no more load on the motors than using a naked gopro in a stiff breeze. As with a lot of things, if used intelligently rather than blindly they will probably have little if any detrimental effect.
Where as the uneven effect of a CP filter on a wide angle lens is not as noticeable on video as it is a dynamic image and even on stills its not as bad as it sounds as even the dynamic range of our eyes will cause the brightest areas of sky to look washed out yet see blue sky in others. As long as the effect is gradual it will appear natural even if it isn't. Its about making an image that's pleasing to the eye rather than being an accurate representation. Many spectacularly lit landscape images are made thanks only to Photoshop rather than mother nature, giving the viewer the same feeling that the photographer experienced even if it wasn't exactly what he or she actually saw.

One thing I find extremely weird is that they didn't mount the gopro upside down on this gimbal. that's likely worth a thread by itself, but by inverting the gimbal, it would center the lens, which would better balance any lens accessory, and move the gopro lens away from the landing gear.

It would be a radical improvement, and as soon as someone markets it, I'll be first in line.

Peter Evans said:
WessexWyvern said:
the benefits of protecting the go pro lens

Protecting it from what?

Unintended landings or the use of an immovable object as an air brake spring to mind :)

I always have a filter on my lenses regardless of camera (and that protective film on my LCD, iPhone, iPad........ :geek: ), often I'll temporary take them off if flare is going to be an issue but not only do they ensure that if it gets accidentally dropped ay any point it's the filter that will take the impact but mostly they just reduce the need for cleaning the actual camera lens. Microscopic swirls and marks that can occur when cleaning may not noticeably effect the picture quality they can effect their saleability if you want to trade up later.

GreyGhost said:
One thing I find extremely weird is that they didn't mount the gopro upside down on this gimbal. that's likely worth a thread by itself, but by inverting the gimbal, it would center the lens, which would better balance any lens accessory, and move the gopro lens away from the landing gear.

It would be a radical improvement, and as soon as someone markets it, I'll be first in line.

Are you taking into account the weight of the battery and the original centre of gravity of the mount when the GP is mounted on the gimbal when you suggest it would better balance lens accessories?
Is there a problem with replacement wide after market landing gear? They seem to be the logical solution to the problem of getting the landing gear in shot and something that I am considering buying.
Have you seen Micbersma's video on filming with a Phantom - he seems to have a very thorough an logical approach to the problems of filming from a Phantom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tnQLPO-8TY

(some of his videos are quite funny too :cool: )

GreyGhost said:

Yup. It makes no sense at all. It would go a long way towards solving the left leg in the video problem for sure.

It was probably done in self-defense since so many folks barely understand how their GoPros work and are seemly unable to read the manual.

WessexWyvern said:
Are you taking into account the weight of the battery and the original centre of gravity of the mount when the GP is mounted on the gimbal when you suggest it would better balance lens accessories?

Other manufacturers like Tarot have been able to provide a design that centers the lens between the legs.

The question is why DJI has found it so difficult to do the same.

WessexWyvern said:
I always have a filter on my lenses regardless of camera (and that protective film on my LCD, iPhone, iPad........ :geek: )

Oh, I see. OK. :roll:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20