Lens protector (and lens hood) for gopro with this gimbal?

Re: Lens protector (and lens hood) for gopro with this gimba

What about in Wide and 'SuperWide' Mode, any vignetting? MR Droneworx makes some nice ones as well.

I don't normally shoot in SuperWide mode, but I've never noticed any vignetting. I'm sure there's situations where it's possible, but I haven't encountered any. Ideally there would be lots of FOV/aspect ratio/lens calculations involved in making a perfect hood that rejects off-axis light. I just did a lot of trial and error. This is a special use case, because we're only looking to reject one thing- prop flicker.

I looked at that type of 3D printed hood. I didn't like how it attached, so I made the little "card." I always felt like those type could fall off. Plus, $30 is a lot, but that's about as cheap as is economical with 3D printing. 3D printing is more of a prototyping tool, not a production tool. Weight is also a concern...the ones I came up with are less than a half a gram.

I also didn't like how most hoods had a top and bottom piece. That's extra weight that isn't needed. What are we rejecting light from? The ground? Might be useful on a standard GoPro you take snowboarding, but if you're GoPro is upside-down on your Phantom, the shot's probably ruined...or will be soon :)

What do you need a pic of? It's pretty tight even without the flag.

Left edge is flush with left edge of the GP....I just trimmed about .7mm from the side near the retaining bar...but, I can't get it in due to the tightness.....not a lot of time to mess with it for a few days, but I'll update when I can...

Others have the same issue? I'm using a GP Hero Black (Not the + version) mebbe that has something to do with it...

We'll get it sorted!

Whatever point you get to and you're stuck, take a picture there. Try to illustrate what kind of mechanical interference you're getting with that photo

noctividus said:
Whatever point you get to and you're stuck, take a picture there. Try to illustrate what kind of mechanical interference you're getting with that photo

Gotcha. Will do. PM me with address to send it to...I'll try to shoot a quick video. ..might tell the story a little better. .

When you guys get these things, make sure you're orienting them correctly or they won't fit. Pay close attention to the instructions and fold the right way.

Here's some clarification:

visualInstructions.png

Yup. Noctividus is absolutely correct! Doing it upside down will not work. I'm told...er, not that I tried it that way...ahem...oops. ..gotta bounce.. :oops:

Finally got around to install noctividus' hood on my H3-3D. Wasn't too hard to install and is much lighter than a 3D printed hood.

It was a really tight fit and it forces a bit of stress on the bracket though. It also hits the floor and roof in my range of motion test, but probably won't be a problem in the air.

156zwk1.jpg

Haven't tested it outside yet though.

When the gimbal is off (loose) you can get it to hit the top bracket. That won't happen when the gimbal is on (stabilized) as the range of motion is only 0 to 90 degrees. It won't interfere while in flight. The only situation I could see as a problem would be if you were in very aggressive forward flight with the camera all the way up. However, at that point, the blades and arms would be fully in the shot. No real point to the lens hood in that situation.

When it's looking straight down, it should ride about 1mm from the deck. If your pads are worn down it's real close, might even touch...but I rarely land with my lens looking straight down.

noctividus said:
How does the Yaw look?

ZnKT9Ww.jpg

Looks pretty good on the yaw, lol. It's pretty far away from the legs. If anything, it's probably going to hit my camera guard but that's if I end up flying aggressively, which I don't. Or maybe if I look down and yaw left pretty hard..

And to add to the pointing down, it points down on start-up and makes a thud. :lol:

It doesn't seem to harm the startup sequence though since it's perfectly balanced after that.

My pads are pretty fresh still, I hand catch my Phantom. It's probably the added weight with all the random stuff that's added to my Phantom.

Cool. That was an unknown until now. I've only tested on my 2D, so any 3D lessons learned are valuable to me.

The whole point of this hood is to aid in capturing good video and preventing scan lines. If you're doing a lot of straight down looking shots, I'd recommend you take it off to avoid contacting the camera guard. You don't need a lens hood when you're looking straight down, because the body shades the lens.

Actually, with the camera straight down (90-degrees) it doesn't contact the camera guard with the yaw-axis, but if camera is at 45-degrees it does.

Also, I just tested with the power on and neither does the 90-degrees nor 45-degree camera angle hits the camera guard with all the shaking my wrists can handle.

UrAwFuL said:
noctividus said:
How does the Yaw look?

And to add to the pointing down, it points down on start-up and makes a thud. :lol:

It doesn't seem to harm the startup sequence though since it's perfectly balanced after that.

My pads are pretty fresh still, I hand catch my Phantom. It's probably the added weight with all the random stuff that's added to my Phantom.

It looks like the 3D drops the camera a little lower than the 2D because of the slip ring assembly. The "pointing down" isn't present in the 2D startup sequence. It just goes straight to level, then to wherever X1 is set.

My pads are shot, and it is just barely above the deck when I point down. Give me a clearance measurement and I'll make a modification to the second batch and send you one for free.

Hello today I received my hood and installed it. It is pretty tight to install it to the H3-3D but it can be done. You must use a little force to snap it in. But I noticed a small problem with gimbal starting calibration. When the gimbal rotate to 90 degrees the hood touches the ground so the hood bends a little in that moment. Is it advisable to just cut a little bit of hood or it will be to much and the blade shadow will occur in the picture? Sorry for my bad English. Thanks.

Interested.
Would it not just be possible to do a "plain" version without the fold over sections and just stick it to the Gopro with some double sided tape?
Maybe not the most secure solution but for a couple of £s I would prefer that rather than forcing it into the gimbal.
Just a thought.

gverila said:
Hello today I received my hood and installed it. It is pretty tight to install it to the H3-3D but it can be done. You must use a little force to snap it in. But I noticed a small problem with gimbal starting calibration. When the gimbal rotate to 90 degrees the hood touches the ground so the hood bends a little in that moment. Is it advisable to just cut a little bit of hood or it will be to much and the blade shadow will occur in the picture? Sorry for my bad English. Thanks.

This has been addressed. First person to send me how much needs to get cut off gets a free one in the mail when I do that batch.

smallman28 said:
Interested.
Would it not just be possible to do a "plain" version without the fold over sections and just stick it to the Gopro with some double sided tape?
Maybe not the most secure solution but for a couple of £s I would prefer that rather than forcing it into the gimbal.
Just a thought.

Feel free to modify it however you want. There is no EULA...you can use it to make nukes and chemical weapons if you want.

It's tight, but it's not like you're breaking anything putting it in there. If you feel like you're "forcing" it, you're probably putting it in backwards.

If you're concerned about it, I'd recommend modifications in the following sequence until you get the fit you want:
  • Cut along the score line so it doesn't fit behind the GoPro. Then tape from the top of the lens hood over to the side of the GoPro.
  • Cut along the same line but a little more so it doesn't slip under the Zenmuse tray.
  • I would leave the part that goes under the bar in place. Without it the thing will flap around a lot.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl