Lens Filters and Gimbal Balance

Reaction score
I am using a GoPro 3+ with a HD-3D.
If I want to add a filter is this going to cause me any problems with the balance of the gimbal.

Is there a weight threshold at which point it becomes an issue.

Thanks.

one of my buddies runs a very large, heavy lens on his gopro and simply counterbalanced it. I don't think the weight is as much of an issue as an imbalance is.

whatever lens/filter/whatever you get, just check for neutral balance and add counterweight accordingly.

I use filters from Snake River Prototyping and have not counterbalanced. I do not hear excess strain on the gimbal's motors like I do when switching from the 3 BE to 3+ BE.

imo whether you hear anything or not, making sure you have neutral balance on the gimbal is ideal. sure you can run without it, but adding tiny bits of counterweight to achieve neutral balance is so easy why not spend 5 minutes and do it :)

I cut a bunch of little 1cm squares of duct or gaffer tape and just stacked them until I was balanced. easy!

Thanks chaps.That's very clear.

I use sticky Velcro. It has adhesive on one side and Velcro on the other. I place velcro on the motor side and on the back plate of the gopro mount. I then Velcro a weight (coin). This is so I can transfer the weight around or run naked.

I only balance the roll axis as I think this would be the most stressed due to the length.
I don't counter the tilt axis as i think motor is strong enough provided you don't have a really "heavy" ND filter lens cap.

Below are some pics of how my gimbal naturally hangs with my filter on it. I ended up buying the 3 pack from polar pro (see pics). I doubt ill use the polarizer or ND 3 stop filters very much but you never know. I plan on counter balancing my gimbal using dual hook Velcro and coins. How much weight (what coins and how many) are you guys using? Also can someone post pics of where you decided to put the weight on your finished work? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 551
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 562
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 560
Mako79 said:
I use sticky Velcro. It has adhesive on one side and Velcro on the other. I place velcro on the motor side and on the back plate of the gopro mount. I then Velcro a weight (coin). This is so I can transfer the weight around or run naked.

I only balance the roll axis as I think this would be the most stressed due to the length.
I don't counter the tilt axis as i think motor is strong enough provided you don't have a really "heavy" ND filter lens cap.

Just to be clear, I am using a GoPro3+ in a H3-3D gimbal.

I have balanced my 37mm GoPro adapter and a UV lens (as a placeholder) in the roll axis with two pieces of 3m double lock velcro and a 5 pence piece (weighs 2g) stuck on the end of the motor cap.

However, I have no idea how to balance the pitch axis. The camera is heavily pointing straight down. I'm not sure that will be good for the gimbal.

How are others balancing in pitch ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic