Left Stick Lock down and CSC two stick down and together !

I saw a video on YouTube not long ago of a guy doing the CSC shutdown in mid-flight, but it was in the simulator. The AC dropped like a rock.

He also tested if the motors could be restarted before it hit the ground. He was successful (I can't remember from what altitude) but just barely.

I'm not sure how true to life the simulator actually is, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Reactions: Kmb and Great_Lakes
I saw a video on YouTube not long ago of a guy doing the CSC shutdown in mid-flight, but it was in the simulator. The AC dropped like a rock.

He also tested if the motors could be restarted before it hit the ground. He was successful (I can't remember from what altitude) but just barely.

I'm not sure how true to life the simulator actually is, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Always wondered that. Maybe Nigel will test it! [emoji6]
I also wondered if it would regain orientation if it was tumbling once the motors restarted. There are people that say they have inverted, accelerated plunges to earth...

I'll leave another to expand that one !!

My testing will resume with signal mods, as this was a diversion based on a number of posts read on various sites ...

Nigel

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Ummm, at least in older models of P2, a single left stick (only) down (not angled) will shut the motors off mid-flight. Been there with a student. Don't know how many seconds, just know I had to run and catch it. Somebody sells a little plastic thing that prevents full down throttle for that reason. If they fixed that in the P3 and P4, that's a good thing.

Page 43 of the manual only says do not perform CSC Command while flying ... with no explanation.

It is now assumed from that comment in manual it may stop the motors - BUT when my AC flipped - props were twitching as they were held by ground against turning. This indicates that Motors may not have been cut-off to stop.

I'm sure I am not only one who would like a full and actually confirmed answer.

I will be studying the log of course to see if Stop command was issued.

Nigel
You can test the CSC without prop.

With prop remove, arm and take off manually by lifting the quad. Let go the stick to simulate a brake. Suspend the quad until it stabilize(you will notice the motor still spinning but the height indicator not changing). Then execute the CSC. If you are recoding it with 120fps camera, you will notice not all motors stop at the same frame. I believe the insync caused the quad to flip.

Just a quickie here ...

I know we all do it at times .... but it is not recc'd to run Brushless motors without a load on them for more than a few seconds at any power more than idle ...

Nigel

I dont think its recommended you try shut your drone off mid air either :D

Reactions: gvsukids
I dont think its recommended you try shut your drone off mid air either :D
The danger is overheating or slinging a magnet from over-revving. So long as you don't run it high speeds for prolonged times over heating is unlikely. Slinging a magnet is more likely when overheated and with an in-runner design. The phantom uses out-runners so that risk is lowered.

0f3db121a9cde86d133cefe182b33ff9.jpg

To be honest, I love people who are willing to press the big red "do not push" buttons to see what will happen. If someone wants to test the CSC in flight, all the power to them as it has been proven many times on this forum that the manual is poorly written and often contradicts reality.

For me, i only use a CSC to start my drone up and use a left lock down to shut it down. I would only then use a CSC in an emergency to shut it down instantly, like if it were to already have crashed.

I do agree with the OP though as manuals have been proven to be wrong and I like knowing the real outcome of such events as they help me form my decisions on how I will operate my P3.

To be honest, I love people who are willing to press the big red "do not push" buttons to see what will happen.

...with their own stuff.

Sure, why not?! We all benefit from the experience and if Nigel is happy, I'm not going to criticize him for trying!

If I had unlimited resources, or better yet was a tester, I'd be happy to try all kinds of crazy stuff and post here about it!

In fact, I'd be happy to rewrite the manual if given the opportunity and resources.

To be honest, I love people who are willing to press the big red "do not push" buttons to see what will happen. If someone wants to test the CSC in flight, all the power to them as it has been proven many times on this forum that the manual is poorly written and often contradicts reality.

For me, i only use a CSC to start my drone up and use a left lock down to shut it down. I would only then use a CSC in an emergency to shut it down instantly, like if it were to already have crashed.

I do agree with the OP though as manuals have been proven to be wrong and I like knowing the real outcome of such events as they help me form my decisions on how I will operate my P3.

Thank you.

Nigel

...with their own stuff.

Sure, why not?! We all benefit from the experience and if Nigel is happy, I'm not going to criticize him for trying!

If I had unlimited resources, or better yet was a tester, I'd be happy to try all kinds of crazy stuff and post here about it!

In fact, I'd be happy to rewrite the manual if given the opportunity and resources.

I am lucky that I am not financially insecure ... and it gives me the chance to prove / disprove beliefs. Lets be honest here ... as a P3S owner - I have scoured the P3S model info and CSC was so poorly stated as needed clarification.
I am not interested in Adv / Pro info as they work to different systems etc.

I took risk - now anyone with P3S now has actual info .... not speculative .. I think this will happen comments.

Nigel

i'm going to start a new thread : what do we want Nigel to test next ? ;)
You should....

This makes me laugh because I had a friend in High School who would do things with his car that you always wanted to do but feared getting arrested or wrecking it. What happens if you put your car in park at 100 KPH? How fast can you drive in reverse? Can you really be driving at 80 KPH forward then rotate the car to reverse then back again like they do in the movies? Lots of fun memories.....Him and his brother would also throw crazy parties that typically resulted in epic stories as well.

Just another side to this discussion, if you have custom stick preferences as I do, (left stick forward is down, back is up) the left stick must be pushed forward and to the right to stop the motors once on the ground. Would likely affect the CSC emergency motor stop command too, but I haven't tried that.

Why not have someone hold it above their head to trick the altimeter and try the CSC?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT