Left Stick Lock down and CSC two stick down and together !

Reaction score
OK ... as promised on another thread - I actually tested the TWO sticks CSC while hovering !! YEH - Brave or stupid ??

Previously I have shown that using the LEFT STICK LOCKED DOWN does not stop props until AC lands and stops moving. Takes 2 - 3 secs and motors stop.

Today I was trying the TWO sticks CSC and I have a non-conclusive result. I have to say non-conclusive because ...

a) I think I was too low
b) I noted a prop twitching after it flipped over ....

But basically I came into to land ... and stopped her just of the ground to a hover for a short bit - got her steady and then BOTH STICKS back and together ... she fell and flipped over on the ground. No damage.

I will study the videos by slowing down to see if props stopped or not ... and report back .. with video link as well.

Nigel
(I don't get paid for these risks to my model you know !!)

What, exactly, were you trying to figure out here? Is there still some confusion over how these two motor stop mechanisms work, even though they are fully documented?

If you want to demonstrate the CSC motor stop, I suggest doing it with the props removed because, even when landed, the CSC will often flip the aircraft on the ground.

Reactions: Great_Lakes
Rubbish .. excuse my French.

There are questions and misunderstandings about the CSC and also the Left Lock Down Stick.

Left Lock Down Stick as I demo'd days ago ... only stops motors after a couple seconds on ground completely not moving. During flight it just initiates a fast descent with motors still working to land.

The CSC command of the two sticks has NOT been answered 100% anywhere that I can find ... with regard to use while FLYING.
Doing it while props removed is totally useless in this regard.

If you have a 100% confirmation then why not be a Gent and link it here so I or any other can see it ?

Nigel

Page 43 of the manual only says do not perform CSC Command while flying ... with no explanation.

It is now assumed from that comment in manual it may stop the motors - BUT when my AC flipped - props were twitching as they were held by ground against turning. This indicates that Motors may not have been cut-off to stop.

I'm sure I am not only one who would like a full and actually confirmed answer.

I will be studying the log of course to see if Stop command was issued.

Nigel

mw_stare.gif

Thank you for the left stick down test! I've often found myself trying to descend as quickly as possible and nervously keeping the left stick just above or resting at the resistance point. Now I know I can pull left stick down and as long as the quad knows it's descending it won't kill the motors.

Reactions: gvsukids

There are questions and misunderstandings about the CSC and also the Left Lock Down Stick.

Left Lock Down Stick as I demo'd days ago ... only stops motors after a couple seconds on ground completely not moving. During flight it just initiates a fast descent with motors still working to land.

The CSC command of the two sticks has NOT been answered 100% anywhere that I can find ... with regard to use while FLYING.

If you have a 100% confirmation then why not be a Gent and link it here so I or any other can see it ?

Nigel

Why would you ask a question and then say "Rubbish" to the answer?

The fact is, CSC, or in other words both sticks pulled down and inward will stop the motors! You don't do it in flight for obvious reasons because the motors will turn off in flight and you'll crash!! If you really need to test that out, take it up 50 feet and do a CSC. Let us know how much damage there is from a 50 foot fall to the ground.

CSC is a terrible way to stop the motors when landing or on the ground!! The very act of pulling both sticks down and inward (CSC) will make the phantom respond to those movements and flip the thing over. DJI is very wrong to say in the manual that CSC is an option for shutting down the motors on the ground. In EVERY case I've read here, and by doing it myself, CSC flips the bird over if you try to use it to stop the motors while on the ground. The previous poster was only suggesting you remove the props, then idle up the motors, then do a CSC to prove that the motors WILL stop. The reason for removing the props first is so you watch CSC stop the motors without flipping the bird over! Ok, now moving on to landing.

As far as using only the left stick to shut down the motors: Pulling the left stick all the way back while in flight will only cause you to descend, at a rapid rate. It will not shut down the motors as long as it detects a descent! Once on the ground however, if you pull the left stick all the way back, it detects that it is no longer descending, and after 2 or 3 seconds the motors will shut off.

Why would you ask a question and then say "Rubbish" to the answer?

The fact is, CSC, or in other words both sticks pulled down and inward will stop the motors! You don't do it in flight for obvious reasons because the motors will turn off in flight and you'll crash!! If you really need to test that out, take it up 50 feet and do a CSC. Let us know how much damage there is from a 50 foot fall to the ground.

CSC is a terrible way to stop the motors when landing or on the ground!! The very act of pulling both sticks down and inward (CSC) will make the phantom respond to those movements and flip the thing over. DJI is very wrong to say in the manual that CSC is an option for shutting down the motors on the ground. In EVERY case I've read here, and by doing it myself, CSC flips the bird over if you try to use it to stop the motors while on the ground. The previous poster was only suggesting you remove the props, then idle up the motors, then do a CSC to prove that the motors WILL stop. The reason for removing the props first is so you watch CSC stop the motors without flipping the bird over! Ok, now moving on to landing.

As far as using only the left stick to shut down the motors: Pulling the left stick all the way back while in flight will only cause you to descend, at a rapid rate. It will not shut down the motors as long as it detects a descent! Once on the ground however, if you pull the left stick all the way back, it detects that it is no longer descending, and after 2 or 3 seconds the motors will shut off.

all very true and factual based upon what I have seen and experienced flying 6 different phantoms so far

my question is how did this become in dispute ,
csc has been used for all models now and sure as hec will drop a quad in flight.

DJI did modify it to a 3 second delay on the p4 though recently..

good luck and have fun flying

Reactions: Great_Lakes
Great Lakes ...

As you can see in my first post, that was so dismally dismissed by others ... despite the questions raised by various on other and THIS forum (other threads of course) ... that I fully demo'd and know the Left Stick Lock Down will only descend the AC till it lands - THEN shut off motors.

Questions had been raised and NO definitive answer by anyone - even the so-called experts on here - whether the CSC two stick command was actually different to the Left Lock down.

It seems that only my attempt to answer it by being practical seems to have initiated a response at last that has some factual content. I thank you Great Lakes for that - but am not amused that you post in a fashion of my being an Idiot ! I can assure you I am far from being that.

I chose to test to answer once and for all the 'assumed' event. To answer that question.

It wasn't so long ago - posts were saying don't Lock Down Left stick in the air ...

Trouble is as I read through this forum ... DJI's (that's abysmal to be honest !) and others - it is so apparent by questions and events - that many people are just not au-fait with anything model wise. If such 'stupid' tests I may conduct - as people before you and seems you consider as well are worthless - then let us just leave such newcomers less informed shall we ?

Yes I am p****d off at the attitude in this thread. I took a conscious decision to answer it by practical test. Not just assume words of another - who knows where they get it from.

I spent many hours and effort previously testing FW's and GO versions ... to give people info about combinations / which had lag .. which worked etc.

Maybe I should just vacate and leave if the sum total is as above ? Why should I waste my time ?

Thank you all.

Last comment :

If just ONE Phantom is saved from mishap because I have posted about my 'stupid' test - then that is reward enough.

Nigel

Nigel

On the CSC question, ignoring the plethora of posts on this forum and others that have explained this over and over - I admit that the P3 Standard instruction manual is not definitive, whereas most (all?) of the other manuals are clear on the effect of a CSC, for example:

P3P (p.46: Stopping the motors) "Do not perform a CSC when the aircraft is in midair, otherwise the motors will suddently (sic) stop."

P4 (p.53: Stop the motor mid-flight) "Pull the left stick to the bottom inside corners and press the RTH button at the same time. Only stop the motors mid-flight in emergency situations when doing so can reduce the risk of damage or injury."

I thank you Great Lakes for that - but am not amused that you post in a fashion of my being an Idiot !
To be fair, in your original post you DID ask us whether you were brave or stupid! ;)

Great Lakes ...

As you can see in my first post, that was so dismally dismissed by others ... despite the questions raised by various on other and THIS forum (other threads of course) ... that I fully demo'd and know the Left Stick Lock Down will only descend the AC till it lands - THEN shut off motors.

Questions had been raised and NO definitive answer by anyone - even the so-called experts on here - whether the CSC two stick command was actually different to the Left Lock down.

It seems that only my attempt to answer it by being practical seems to have initiated a response at last that has some factual content. I thank you Great Lakes for that - but am not amused that you post in a fashion of my being an Idiot ! I can assure you I am far from being that.

I chose to test to answer once and for all the 'assumed' event. To answer that question.

It wasn't so long ago - posts were saying don't Lock Down Left stick in the air ...

Trouble is as I read through this forum ... DJI's (that's abysmal to be honest !) and others - it is so apparent by questions and events - that many people are just not au-fait with anything model wise. If such 'stupid' tests I may conduct - as people before you and seems you consider as well are worthless - then let us just leave such newcomers less informed shall we ?

Yes I am p****d off at the attitude in this thread. I took a conscious decision to answer it by practical test. Not just assume words of another - who knows where they get it from.

I spent many hours and effort previously testing FW's and GO versions ... to give people info about combinations / which had lag .. which worked etc.

Maybe I should just vacate and leave if the sum total is as above ? Why should I waste my time ?

Thank you all.

There is merit to you reply to me and I can appreciate that. But it seemed, at least to me, that you wanted the answer to a question that is already spelled out in the manual, but still needed physical proof that CSC in flight will stop the motors. Perhaps I was a little snarky in my answer, but like the second post of this thread by sar104, I didn't understand what you wanted to accomplish, and the only way to get proof positive that CSC will stop the motors in flight is to do it and find out. At great peril to the aircraft.

Let us continue on after this thread and be friends!

To be fair, in your original post you DID ask us whether you were brave or stupid! ;)

mmmm that is the vagary of the English language ... in English English - its meant as a bit of a joke .. not actually as a question .. as in at a bar when you look at your pal and say - is it MY round ? which really means ... Oi get yer money out !!

Nigel

Great Lakes ...

Thank you all.

For answer on CSC command and DJI view see ISSUE #1 in link below

Top Ten Common Mistakes Phantom Pilots Make

There is merit to you reply to me and I can appreciate that. But it seemed, at least to me, that you wanted the answer to a question that is already spelled out in the manual, but still needed physical proof that CSC in flight will stop the motors. Perhaps I was a little snarky in my answer, but like the second post of this thread by sar104, I didn't understand what you wanted to accomplish, and the only way to get proof positive that CSC will stop the motors in flight is to do it and find out. At great peril to the aircraft.

Let us continue on after this thread and be friends!

I'm cool now ... things have turned out for the good ... and we can all be pals ...

This is where its better when all face to face with a beer in hand ... the innuendo's, speech and words then are understood much better.

Cheers
Nigel

I'm glad we are all friends now; but, I am still waiting to see the video of a CSC at 10m altitude!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj