last minute help mounting walkera G-2d gimbal or return

Reaction score
Hi,
I picked up the G-2d gimbal online and had hoped to install it on my FC40. Sadly it was a little more complex that I thought and I think extra wires/connectors/or battery are needed to install. I saw the "no soldering" post in the form here which was great, but I couldn't find the few "items" that it listed as necessary. Radio Shack and Frys did not have it.
Bummer because I think I could have done this fairly easily. Unfortunately I leave for Iceland and Europe tomorrow and figure I'm going to just return it since I don't think I can get it done easily on the road or wait to order parts online.

I searched tutorials online and it seem that every one that I found said I needed extension cables or splicing new connectors...things that I could do if I had time but looked a little complicated and required certain parts.

The product cam with a few connector wires so I had hoped this would just be plug and play but I did not find any tutorial or instructions noting this.

here is the product. Any chance that I am missing something and can get it sorted from everything in the box?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/849900542X/ref=od_aui_detailpages02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 678
Hi,
I picked up the G-2d gimbal online and had hoped to install it on my FC40. Sadly it was a little more complex that I thought and I think extra wires/connectors/or battery are needed to install. I saw the "no soldering" post in the form here which was great, but I couldn't find the few "items" that it listed as necessary. Radio Shack and Frys did not have it.
Bummer because I think I could have done this fairly easily. Unfortunately I leave for Iceland and Europe tomorrow and figure I'm going to just return it since I don't think I can get it done easily on the road or wait to order parts online.

I searched tutorials online and it seem that every one that I found said I needed extension cables or splicing new connectors...things that I could do if I had time but looked a little complicated and required certain parts.

The product cam with a few connector wires so I had hoped this would just be plug and play but I did not find any tutorial or instructions noting this.

here is the product. Any chance that I am missing something and can get it sorted from everything in the box?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/849900542X/ref=od_aui_detailpages02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Unless you need pitch control right now, just use a small 7.4 volt lipo with the JST power connector. I use a 850 ma lipo. Works fine. Adjust pitch with plastic screwdriver. You could also power it off the flight battery balance plug.

Reactions: lake_flyer
I'd like pitch control and installed the lever, but if it requires much then I can forego it. If you don't have pitch control can you set the camera angle like a hard mount with stabilization? Any chance a video showing the 7.4 lipo in action? Or a video with it incorporated into the balance plug?

After I received my G-2D, I couldn't wait and didn't want to open up the bird, so I took a 7.4 Lipo from another RC toy I had, and flew with that a couple of weeks.
Worked flawlessly. I didn't have to adjust anything because default, it comes pretty much 100% level. It was amazing how good it worked straight out of the box.

The many, many trials and errors in adjusting only came after I decided to hook it up permanently and use the pitch knob.

I'd like pitch control and installed the lever, but if it requires much then I can forego it. If you don't have pitch control can you set the camera angle like a hard mount with stabilization? Any chance a video showing the 7.4 lipo in action? Or a video with it incorporated into the balance plug?
it's very simple to adjust the initial pitch or roll angle using the plastic tool supplied with the gimbal. Never use a screw driver. The little knob can't take the touch of a metal tool, believe me, I know.
Good thing is though, replacement parts are quite cheap, except the main controller, which is about 30$. When I ordered a replacement at Banggood in China, they delivered to Netherlands within 4 days (free shipping).

From what I saw of your post and reference to the gimbal you purchased the Black metal version will be slightly heavier for your fc40.

Hookup is not as difficult as you think. Just invest a little time and thought into it all and you'll be fine.

If you want to use a gimbal switch? Watch this video...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I had a similar problem with the White Plastic version of the much lighter version Walkera gimbal and went to Pololu.com for my parts. Extremely FAST delivery and extremely accurate. Ordered a micro-mini jst connector with an extended 6" twist black/red wire for the power supply. Then, had to order a pack of 10 12" servo wires with female slots, (ordered black and red. It's the only way they'll send you have to buy them by the set of 10), and a set of 25 connector housings to insert the female slots into. (Again, they only come in 25 to a set).

Once received, I opened the Phantom, pulled the aux power red/gray wire split & trimmed the wire, added 2 1/2" heat shrink tubes to each side, then soldered, shrunk the tubes over solder joints, pulled finished wire through the hole in the landing gear, power hookup was done.

Plugged one end of the red/black servo wire into the F2 terminal of the NAZA (Red top, Black Bottom, Center terminal was left OPEN). I heat shrank those wires then ran them through the hole in leg of the landing gear and then attached the other connector end. Plugged into the PIT terminal of the gimbal and fired the unit up. (If you misconnect the wires the plastic connector has a small "FLAP" that you can gently raise and pull the wire free. Then reinsert the wire into the correct slot and your done). Turn on the controller, insert the battery and your gimbal will fire up and you'll be ready to go. Any fine tuning can be done with the NASA Assistant software.

Hope I helped you.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.