Laser Range Finders for Height....Suggestions

I'm unsure what the value of a laser finder on the ground would provide. I already know how high from launch point I am, and how far away through the telemetry data. Can you explain why you'd be interested in this?

If it was small and light enough to put on a drone to point straight down, that might be handy to have the data sent to ground via telemetry data in the app. I do see a day when DJI will find a way to do this, or some other way using Google elevation data, GPS, and launch elevation to calculate a reasonably accurate AGL altitude.

I'm unsure what the value of a laser finder on the ground would provide. I already know how high from launch point I am, and how far away through the telemetry data. Can you explain why you'd be interested in this?

If it was small and light enough to put on a drone to point straight down, that might be handy to have the data sent to ground via telemetry data in the app. I do see a day when DJI will find a way to do this, or some other way using Google elevation data, GPS, and launch elevation to calculate a reasonably accurate AGL altitude.
I like the idea of using google data for actual position and launch point to auto calculate AGL. That could probably be done now in the app with no AC modification required. Will still be subject to the barometer accuracy though.

I'm unsure what the value of a laser finder on the ground would provide.
If you measure the distance to the bottom & measure the distance to the top of a object, you can determine it's height using the Pythagorean Theorem

The Nikon in David Gould's original post appears to also measure angle between top & bottom, so with one distance measurement it would be possible to calculate the height of a distant object like a tree or building to fly just above it.

Last edited:
so with one distance measurement it would be possible to calculate the height of a distant object like a tree or building to fly just above it.
Why not simply fly FPV to accurately fly just above the object? I would trust vision before I'd trust a barometer for accuracy. It's also quicker and more convenient.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Why not simply fly FPV to accurately fly just above the object? I would trust vision before I'd trust a barometer for accuracy. It's also quicker and more convenient.
That's the way I'd do it too, but we were discussing the use of laser range finders.

That's the way I'd do it too, but we were discussing the use of laser range finders.
That's my original point, I don't see any beneficial use case for laser range finders with drones. It's unclear what the OP was suggesting with range finders to help with Drone flight.

That's my original point, I don't see any beneficial use case for laser range finders with drones. It's unclear what the OP was suggesting with range finders to help with Drone flight.

I am using Litchi to pre program flights... would like to adjust altitude when I arrive at site... for instance the hight of the conning tower on a ship... I love nice tight shots... so I thought if I was able to use this rangefinder to get the height I set more accurate alititude data... of course all within reason and ablity to manually take over.. just seemed like it would be a good tool

Reactions: KentA
You do realize the barometer on the craft isn't that accurate, right?. It can vary 30' from true altitude most any time. So even if you had an accurate height, that doesn't help if the craft altitude calculation from internal barometer isn't accurate.

It's best to plot to the flight as best possible. Then fly the mission. When you see an altitude off, pause the mission and make the altitude adjustments on the fly, in the Litchi app, during the flight. When done and tuned, fly the final mission again non stop to record.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik