Landing pad

Reaction score
I am often in dusty situations and I am considering purchasing something that will work as a takeoff and landing pad. Any ideas? Or how big?

What kind of surface are you taking off from?
Dirt/dust. We are in the dry season in Guatemala, so that is often the case.It may also be volcanic.

Then....theirs "Hand launch"....and...."Hand recover".....but theirs dangers their too....you have to be very careful.... that sure would be the best choice in rough terrain..high weeds dusty area ect....what ever you choose the best of luck to you.

U-Tube has several videos on the hand launch idea.

Reactions: Archaeo Drone
I built my own out of an old political yard sign and a wood frame. I also added a level in the center and two retractable legs so I can level it on uneven ground. It's only 18" X 18", but it keeps the camera out of tall grass and away from bare dirt.
Landing Pad.jpg

Someone down here suggested a large rubber mat for a SUV cargo. We have an extra and I am going to try it.

Neither of the last suggestions are portable, and for me that's a hinderance. I use the common 3' foldup orange and blue ones that are all over ebay and elsewhere. Works just fine, and I do fly off dirt and gravel roads and areas mostly And they are cheap.

I am so glad this has been brought up. The main reason I purchased my phantom was to provide evidence of extreme dust flowing onto my property from a non-caring neighbor. I read that there are air holes in the motor for cooling purposes. Would it be possible to blow compressed air thru those holes for cleaning? I am hoping to initialize my drone this weekend and get video for authorities. Please advise.

Most of the commonly used landing pads are between 2.5 and 3.5 feet wide. If you think those wouldn't be large enough to keep the dust down, then maybe go with one of these larger Hoodman landing pads:

View attachment 108347
I have a Hoodman like this one. About 3' wide, weighted around the edge so it doesn't fly off in the wind or propeller wash and easily folds up. It is the best. Protects from dust, sand, snow, grass, etc.

I am often in dusty situations and I am considering purchasing something that will work as a takeoff and landing pad. Any ideas? Or how big?

We have the 5 foot Hoodman in stock at our store. Check out our website if you haven't purchased yet.

Thank you all. For today, I used an SUV cargo mat. I do my shopping and ordering when I am going to travel to the US. I have bookmarked the websites.

Landing pads are a great idea, especially if you take off or land on dusty grounds. The dust cannot be good for the motors, Amazon has a good one that folds up for easy transport at very reasonable price.

We're also in a dusty situation (to say the least). After much consideration and a few experiments, we use an old folded cloth tarpaulin. This gives us a takeoff and landing surface of approximately 5ft x 3ft, as well as a clean surface for setting up (including kneeling down without getting dusty clothing). It's at least four layers thick (folded), which also gives protection against any small stones or rock underneath. Whereas it's not ultra lightweight, it's easy to fold and portable; when walking long distances, it goes inside a rucksack. It's usually heavy enough for wind not to be a problem, but if wind gusts are an issue we simply place four small rocks at the corners. The system works brilliantly.

I have used following :

My old Heli pad made out of OSB fibre board ... 1m square. Donated to club in the end. Not portable enough.

Cloth weighted down - OK - but needed to either carry weights or find rocks. Soon gave that one up.

Hessian backed carpet cut to fit in the backpack with the P3S ... found the first one a touch light and downblast could make it move.

Second attempt with heavy hessian backed carpet - good and heavy enough to stay put. Touch small unless you are magic at landing on the spot. Fits my backpack.

Larger piece of hessian backed carpet rolls up ... good.

Footwell mat from car ... heavy rubber ... good

At home - ceramic floor tiles ... 2 or 3 arranged .... nice and stable.

My main item to solve - was to not need to fix down the pad ... to have it able to be carried to site.

In the end because I always have a folding picnic table in my van to assemble / sort models on flight line - I now use that if ground is not so good. a) it gets model up well clear of any dust / crud .. b) of good size ... c) reasonably portable.... d) cheap !! ... e) can have your picnic on it when not flying.

I have a goprofessional hard pelican case that I haul my gear around in... It makes a great pad.... Keeps the unit 18 inches off the ground. Plus, I dont have to drag anything extra with me.

I would use my hard case as well ... but then I have to clean it before I can put on my back or in the car.

I have a goprofessional hard pelican case that I haul my gear around in... It makes a great pad.... Keeps the unit 18 inches off the ground. Plus, I dont have to drag anything extra with me.
Do you land on it too?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj