Landing pad

I use a synthetic carpet square (approx 0.5 metres) I bought for a few dollars at the local hardware store. It has a rubberised base about 4 mm thick - this is heavy enough for it to stay in place, but light enough to carry easily. Flexible and water-proof with a small choice of colours.

Reactions: Archaeo Drone
The size of our old cloth tarpaulin is obviously larger than what some others use for takeoff and landing. We're in the wilderness, high up in a mountainous region, so wind is an issue as well as dust. The larger size is useful for landing to allow for last-minute "drift" - and that's with two of us, standing/looking at 90 degrees from each other, guiding the drone down. Furthermore, the larger size also prevents dust being blown by the down-draft whilst landing.

I made 2’x2’ out of MDF. It stands just low enough that if I miss the landing and come down next to it, the blades will still clear.
I’m adding a small level to it for any calibration needs down the road.
eec4cbbc2b861096fb2b855ab693e1d1.jpg

I believe using my bright orange Hoodman (same one pictured above), the Precision Landing and Return to Home on my P4P are more accurate. I've tried using PL and RTH on concrete and asphalt paving and the landing can be 2-3 feet off. Using the bright orange Hoodman, my P4P hits the target every time. No scientific data, just my own experience.

I have a 3' round, foldable pad ... which I only use when I launch in fluffy snow. It would work fine on a dusty terrain. BUT ... in most situations, I leave it home. It's easier to launch from my backpack and hand catch the returning drone. I have done this with a P4P, a Mavic Air, and a Mavic 2 Pro.

I use an old door mat made mostly of rubber. It is heavier than the flimsy commercially pads and won’t blow around in the wind plus usually free!

Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

If you drive to flight site ... then just lift out a car matt !!

I use the box the Shop-vac came in. Nice size and folds where needed and fits nicely in the back of the SUV. It will probably last longer than the last Shop-Vac did!

I use the box the Shop-vac came in. Nice size and folds where needed and fits nicely in the back of the SUV. It will probably last longer than the last Shop-Vac did!
Here's mine. Self-made from 1/4" plywood, nearly 4' in diameter. Has four 2" legs, light and easily carried.
Home base 3-17-2017.jpg

I went to one of the big box copy stores and bought a scrap of their plastic banner material that is approximately 3'x3' for $5. Folds up nicely and works well with dust and snow.

Do you land on it too?
I have different pads (and drones) for different missions. The lightweight pads get blown around by the rotor wash unless staked down. The homemade plywood pad works best for me.

Attachments

• D0252098-2F5D-441C-A046-09C8D1D85ADB.jpeg
    D0252098-2F5D-441C-A046-09C8D1D85ADB.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 87
used car windows sun shade, it can be bent and packed easily and the price is less than a 1$, good enough for me

I went to one of the big box copy stores and bought a scrap of their plastic banner material that is approximately 3'x3' for $5. Folds up nicely and works well with dust and snow.
great idea!

I am often in dusty situations and I am considering purchasing something that will work as a takeoff and landing pad. Any ideas? Or how big?
I am often in dusty situations and I am considering purchasing something that will work as a takeoff and landing pad. Any ideas? Or how big?[/QUOTE
I am often in dusty situations and I am considering purchasing something that will work as a takeoff and landing pad. Any ideas? Or how big?
I use this pad that I made it works in dusty areas and in taller grass areas I made it myself and it folds up.

Attachments

• 20190115_114844.jpg
    20190115_114844.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 117
  • 20190115_114857.jpg
    20190115_114857.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 77
I use this pad that I made it works in dusty areas and in taller grass areas I made it myself and it folds up.
very cool!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.