kill switch and 'chute to prevent flyaways

I just had another thought. If you don't plan on flying out of visual range, I may have a system for you.

On eBay, you will find remote control systems for sale. Some are just key fob transmitters and receivers. Others are scaled up. I've used the car ones for a lot of purposes in my private detective business, such as: microphones that only transmitt when activated remotely, video system control, phones, etc. All pass extensive security scans, when off.

The receiver has a simple wire for an antenna. The remote can be taken apart to add a better antenna or install a RF amplifier. The receiver has both A and B contacts. You could drive a heavier duty relay with the A contact.

Although, it might work just fine as it is, since your drone is elevated. Especially if your control channel goes out due to a malfunction instead of an out of range situation.

I hope this helps.

PhantomFanatic said:
I just had another thought. If you don't plan on flying out of visual range, I may have a system for you.

On eBay, you will find remote control systems for sale. Some are just key fob transmitters and receivers. Others are scaled up. I've used the car ones for a lot of purposes in my private detective business, such as: microphones that only transmitt when activated remotely, video system control, phones, etc. All pass extensive security scans, when off.

The receiver has a simple wire for an antenna. The remote can be taken apart to add a better antenna or install a RF amplifier. The receiver has both A and B contacts. You could drive a heavier duty relay with the A contact.

Although, it might work just fine as it is, since your drone is elevated. Especially if your control channel goes out due to a malfunction instead of an out of range situation.

I hope this helps.
You could do what NASA does with an out of control rocket - self-destruct. Just line the drone with det cord and wire your self-destruct remote to the ignitor. When your drone goes out of control, push The Button, and poof, just a few pieces of plastic to fall on the terrified people beneath you.

Oh, you want to save the drone? Get a tracker.

I think its a great idea roykirk and maybe it will lead to something cool..don't be discouraged by negitive remarks. . Thanks for the laugh steve mann..haha...

SteveMann said:
PhantomFanatic said:

I hope this helps.
You could do what NASA does with an out of control rocket - self-destruct. Just line the drone with det cord and wire your self-destruct remote to the ignitor. When your drone goes out of control, push The Button, and poof, just a few pieces of plastic to fall on the terrified people beneath you.

Oh, you want to save the drone? Get a tracker.

The difference is that NASA self-destructs over the ocean! We might cause a forest fire, so perhaps we need a fire extinguisher, too! But, the fire would indicate where the drone is! Problem solved...

After more thought, a parachute would be easy to attach. The packed chute goes on top (obviously!) and you could use Velcro straps to wrap around each arm, close to the center body.

Some great comments and discussion. Even from the suggested self destruct option. ;) I would definitely go with a tracker as well, and I've even got one bookmarked that I'll be buying at same time I buy my Phantom. As I was saying earlier, locating a lost Phantom would be secondary for me to ensuring I had the capability to stop an otherwise out of control (for whatever reason) quad to ensure the safety of people or property. I understand that the chance of a flyaway or other mishap is likely extremely small, but I've got the sort of personality that if there's an option for making something just a slight bit safer, I'm probably going to do it just for added peace of mind. Even if my idea isn't practical, based on the other attempts I'm seeing out there I think we'll see a much more refined commercial version in the near future. Given the public/political hysteria over "drone" privacy and safety, I've wondered if incorporating such features may be the only way to keep the hobby from getting grounded? I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see future requirements that all quads over a certain size have features like the commercial option I already saw where if the vehicle suddenly loses altitude, speed, goes out of control, or loses direct link with the transmitter, it automatically bricks and deploys a parachute. Stranger things have certainly come down from our government.

PhantomFanatic said:
After more thought, a parachute would be easy to attach. The packed chute goes on top (obviously!) and you could use Velcro straps to wrap around each arm, close to the center body.
This is a cool idea, however there are many challenges to overcome to be realistic. The placement of the chute on top is not a great idea. Do you not think that putting it on top would reduce the receiving ability if the GPS which is right underneath and crucial...unless you fly all the time in ATTI mode? Would it fit physically? you have 115mm between the prop tips less clearance. Would it affect the flow of air from the props?

roykirk said:
This is more in line with what I was thinking: http://www.marsparachutes.com/mars-mini/

At 3.6 ounces, it seemed like something that could fit as far as weight anyway. But as Meta4 noted above, mounting might be the biggest issue.
That's a cool little package. Looks like you can just hook it up to a servo port to operate it. Definitely seems viable.

Why not on a leg? So the quad comes down sideways and gets to the ground.
The entire reason for the chute is so the quad bumps the ground and does not S-P-L-A-T-T-E-R AT 75-80 mph.
You fall off a ladder one foot up, you may be OK. Fall off at 100 feet and NO. All depends on how fast you or the quad are falling.

:eek: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

IrishSights said:
PhantomFanatic said:
This is a cool idea, however there are many challenges to overcome to be realistic. The placement of the chute on top is not a great idea. Do you not think that putting it on top would reduce the receiving ability if the GPS which is right underneath and crucial...unless you fly all the time in ATTI mode? Would it fit physically? you have 115mm between the prop tips less clearance. Would it affect the flow of air from the props?

I don't believe so. What will be on top is a small nylon parachute with parachute cords, also nylon. Fabric won't interfere with GPS satellite signals. The packed parachute, containing nylon cords, won't be even close to the rotors so it won't affect airflow. The electronics would be underneath or inside the drone.

Another suggestion: I've employed this a lot when I need a relay to cut a lot of current, but relays with that rating are too big. Use a multiple pole 12VDC relay. Let's say that it has six A and six B contacts. (Just in case you don't know, A are contacts that are open when the relay is NOT energized. B contacts are closed with the relay unenergized.

You have two options, but I recommend one. Wire all four A contacts in series. Make sure the ratings for each contact, times four will be the amperage you need to disconnect, plus a wide margin.

Wire the main battery to the coil of this relay. When the relay is energized, you have power to everything. Wire up the chute up to a B contact. When the relay is de-energized, all drone power will be disconnected. Your B contact will close when the relay is de-energized. This will activate the chute. You can install a small and light timer (or build one) that will give you the delay to have enough airflow for the chute to inflate.

This is a fail safe system. Say there is a massive failure and your main power totally drops out. Since the relay was energized, the power outage will make it unenergized. This closes that B contact and your chute will deploy with no action needed on your part.

Of course, you will need a small battery to run your system and chute.

Now, you may wonder how to activate the chute yourself. Use the same type 12VDC relay. Use all B contacts from it., in series with the A contacts from the other relay. Wire the power (from your second battery) from your second receiver to this relay. Your chute activating signal will energize your second relay. When activated, your B contacts will open, disrupting current to the motors.

Now, use an A contact from the second relay and wire it to the chute activation system. A schematic will make a lot more sense! I could draw one, photograph it and PM it to you or post here. Your choice.

The bottom line: A B contact from the first relay triggers chute deploying, from a power failure from the main battery. Your chute deploying signal also sends power (both using power from your second battery) to the same electrical point.

You will have a system that say if you have a fly away with RTH not working. Let's say your drone flys until the battery gets low enough to de-energize the first relay, activating the chute. Or, you send a signal to activate the chute. Either way, have a GPS tracker on-board.

The auto-deploy system, could be enough for many. Consider this patent applied for!

PhantomFanatic,
Great idea with the relays. They are fun to work with.

Great way would be to have an altimiter (cant spell check on phone) and if it detects your descent speed is more than X feet/sec it deploys by its self.. obviously need a bit of smarts to make that happen.. Problem with this though is if its flying away it might gracefully descend and land (but that never seems to happen?). GPS tracker could take care of that.

When I had my "fly away' The phantom stopped responding to any TX commands and literally flew away. It RTH luckily else it would of..well...flew away. (TX worked perfectly after phantom reboot so it wasnt interferance...but an actual fault which has luckily never occured again).But yeah I wouldnt of been avle to deploy/kill anything unless I had seperate TX/RX unit.. Course problem with that is any upgrades like antennas or amps would need to be on both systems.

Well, I thought I posted this here, but I must not have. I've seen two parachutes available for drones. The first was for a specific drone. The second came in three sizes. It was advertised in Rotor Drone magazine, which is a must have magazine. Back issues are for sale on Amazon.com. I can relay the website if anyone is interested.

Edit: The website for the parachutes, is what I meant. A Google search for the magazine will get you to their subscription page. I highly recommend the back issues. Digital subscriptions are available, or both, as I prefer.

Darn it, I wanted to make one, to use and market! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31