Just sold my 3rd party battery... Why?

Reaction score
A very small amount of you may have seen my 3rd party battery review I did. Well.... I never had any problems with it at all. In fact... It performed better then my OEM battery. But I sold it. Why? Well... No problems with it, it costs half the price, had no issues. But as it wasn't OEM I thought I would get OEM only. Did I make the right decision? Did I fix what wasn't broke? (It was sold as non-official OEM by the way with healthydrone screenshot of the life left) was it worth paying double for the official battery or did I just pay double for the name? They don't hold the exclusive rights to lipo do they so why can't other companies do it? Cheer me up guys. Not sure if I made the right decision now [emoji55][emoji55][emoji55]

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

A very small amount of you may have seen my 3rd party battery review I did. Well.... I never had any problems with it at all. In fact... It performed better then my OEM battery. But I sold it. Why? Well... No problems with it, it costs half the price, had no issues. But as it wasn't OEM I thought I would get OEM only. Did I make the right decision? Did I fix what wasn't broke? (It was sold as non-official OEM by the way with healthydrone screenshot of the life left) was it worth paying double for the official battery or did I just pay double for the name? They don't hold the exclusive rights to lipo do they so why can't other companies do it? Cheer me up guys. Not sure if I made the right decision now [emoji55][emoji55][emoji55]

I think you already know the answer ......

if it aint broke don't fix

name!

good luck and have fun flying!

however you will get a lot of support as many seem to hate the idea of a non dji battery. I have had experience with p2 3rd party and they surpassed factory by far. I have seen a few folks with the battery you had and they worked perfectly fine as well..

Last edited:
Reactions: Neon Euc
Thanks Kirk. I will carry on with the sale of the battery. Don't want to let anyone down. But 2 batteries is enough for me so I am happy with that I guess

As DJI has incorporated retain checks in their authorized batteries like Serial Number etc, and we don't know if 3rd party can have the FW updates correctly, we don't propose to use 3rd party batteries currently.

I m a supporter of completion in the market to develop better technology and competitive prices but unfortunately the inner details for the DJI batteries are not officially published and thus bar competition.

Other aspect is the safety of the aircraft. Do we want to take risk of crashes due to u known batteries to save little money?

We all RC fliers in past have used third party batteries as they were plain lipo batteries and no FW embedded so we were using our judgement to check their capacities etc.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

As DJI has incorporated retain checks in their authorized batteries like Serial Number etc, and we don't know if 3rd party can have the FW updates correctly, we don't propose to use 3rd party batteries currently.

I m a supporter of completion in the market to develop better technology and competitive prices but unfortunately the inner details for the DJI batteries are not officially published and thus bar competition.

Other aspect is the safety of the aircraft. Do we want to take risk of crashes due to u known batteries to save little money?

We all RC fliers in past have used third party batteries as they were plain lipo batteries and no FW embedded so we were using our judgement to check their capacities etc.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Really interesting to read thanks for that. I did post the battery tonight but should I get another 3rd party or stick with official? Be interested to see other comments and what everyone uses

I just purchased a few Genuine DJI batteries from their online store.

But, I don't see the four genuine DJI batteries I own as anything to brag about. Two are four years old with not more than ten discharges, the other two are two years old, one with 5 and the other 3 discharges.

One is junk and another one is on it's last leg, dies quickly after it reaches 60%.

The last two aren't doing real well either.

All show some swelling, two are real hard to get in and out of the Phantom.

That's $500 worth of batteries with around 20 flights, that's $25 per flight!

I could have purchased other brands for less than half the price. If the two I just purchased last longer than the four I have I might buy more DJI's. BUT, if they don't give me at least as much as the last ones I'm trying the less expensive ones. I'm not happy with the ones from DJI so why did I just pay $129 each? I wanted OEM.

But, I don't see the four genuine DJI batteries I own as anything to brag about. Two are four years old with not more than ten discharges, the other two are two years old, one with 5 and the other 3 discharges.

One is junk and another one is on it's last leg, dies quickly after it reaches 60%.

I could have purchased other brands for less than half the price. If the two I just purchased last longer than the four I have I might buy more DJI's. BUT, if they don't give me at least as much as the last ones I'm trying the less expensive ones. I'm not happy with the ones from DJI so why did I just pay $129 each? I wanted OEM.

Maybe your money wisely could have been spent better elsewhere rather than batteries, your post is irrelevant, money is your thing, now go outa vlos of here, for me batteries are critical but I have to save hard for them

I find that really interesting to read, as I am wondering the same still

Maybe your money wisely could have been spent better elsewhere rather than batteries, your post is irrelevant, money is your thing, now go outa vlos of here, for me batteries are critical but I have to save hard for them
I think he's post hit the nail on the head. This is what the discussion is about. Official vs 3rd party [emoji4]

I bought my P3A new with 2 batteries
All the other batteries I bought used were OEM for less than 100 bucks and just a few cycles
The other batteries I have are from used phantoms and 2 of the batteries have over 50 cycles and it still shows 88% battery life left.
I'm sure there are good and bad batteries in both OEM or non but like someone else said I would be more concerned about firmware updates
I'm no expert so I'll stick with OEM

You seem to know so much about me...but you don't know much at all.

Maybe not but you replied, happy & safe flying, no offence intended

I picked up a couple Used tested "DJI" batteries on Ebay. I am not sure if they are the real deal but they show serial numbers in Healthy drones and they worked on Go and Litchi.

They weigh the same as the OEM batteries I own and look identical.

I have not fully tested them yet. One was lost in the mail (USPS hard at work) while stuck in a sorting machine in Hazelwood MO. The seller is shipping me a replacement.

I paid $55 each plus $12 for shipping total $122 for 2. If they perform I would say they are a great buy.

Reactions: Numone and Neon Euc
I picked up a couple Used tested "DJI" batteries on Ebay. I am not sure if they are the real deal but they show serial numbers in Healthy drones and they worked on Go and Litchi.

They weigh the same as the OEM batteries I own and look identical.

I have not fully tested them yet. One was lost in the mail (USPS hard at work) while stuck in a sorting machine in Hazelwood MO. The seller is shipping me a replacement.

I paid $55 each plus $12 for shipping total $122 for 2. If they perform I would say they are a great buy.
I'm starting to think I should just kept my 3rd party battery. I can still cancel my official battery but then it will be a few weeks before I get to receive the 3rd party one from China. Hmmm.... But glad to see your ones are doing well. Could you inspect it a bit more and find out if they are legit or not?

Maybe not but you replied, happy & safe flying, no offence intended

I replied, that's all you have?

So it's your job to tell me my post is irrelevant when it was on topic while yours wasn't? You can say "no offense intended" , I wasn't offended by you, just annoyed by your smartass attitude.

I'm starting to think I should just kept my 3rd party battery. I can still cancel my official battery but then it will be a few weeks before I get to receive the 3rd party one from China. Hmmm.... But glad to see your ones are doing well. Could you inspect it a bit more and find out if they are legit or not?

Based on the videos I just watched and my own inspection I will say they are 95% likely to be genuine DJI batteries. I could not find any visual, weight, fit differences but I still need to fly them. It is pretty windy today but I think I will still hover test the pack I have. I am only guessing here but I believe these are batteries that are part of store returns or warranty returns and DJI sells them in lots.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic