Just sold my 3rd party battery... Why?

Update. Got the second one and it seems to be just as good as the rest. Still had the sticker on it although I am sure it was used.

Flew it indoors as the weather is once again crappy here and hovered in place for 16 minutes 4 seconds. Takeoff battery was 91% and landed with 16%.

I was going to try and test the Vision system but thanks to a skylight I get 8-16 SATS indoors.

Last edited:
I just purchased a few Genuine DJI batteries from their online store.

That's $500 worth of batteries with around 20 flights, that's $25 per flight!

Whoa! I bought two additional OEM batteries at about $100 each. Assuming my original battery was worth $130, I have a total of $330 invested and about 60 flights - that's $5.50 per flight, with plenty of battery life left. Rick, you're just not flying often enough.

Whoa! I bought two additional OEM batteries at about $100 each. Assuming my original battery was worth $130, I have a total of $330 invested and about 60 flights - that's $5.50 per flight, with plenty of battery life left. Rick, you're just not flying often enough.

Agreed. He bought a bunch of expensive extra batteries and let them sit for years and is disappointed/angry when they failed?

Buy them and fly the crap out of them. I took my 4 packs out yesterday for a spin and they all performed the same aside from one packs temp runs a few degrees higher.

3rd party batteries scare me. I bought a pair of Limefuel batteries. They advertised 6000's rather than the 5400's DJI was selling. Limefuel makes a lot of stuff and they have a decent name so I felt safe. Fast forward a year and my Limefuel's are now "puffy" while my DJI OEM batteries are still fine. A swollen battery is a real danger - a fire hazard. It indicates some oxygen has entered the battery and come in contact with the lithium and that can lead to fire or even an explosion.

Even before this, my Limefuel batteries gave me concern. They would be fully charged, everything going along just fine. I was out over the lake when I hit about 60% power. Suddenly I got that "BRAPPP BRAPPP" low power warning and my drone started to land. I fought it hard and brought it back to solid ground but wow close call.

Limefuel no longer makes DJI batteries. Maybe they had too many returns or law suits? No idea. But I don't trust them.

Have I learned my lesson? You would think so but nope. I'm a slow learner I guess. I just bought another pair of no-name batteries. They were discontinued and I grabbed the last 2 from Hobbytown for $49 each. Some people are just stupid I guess.

But, I don't see the four genuine DJI batteries I own as anything to brag about. Two are four years old with not more than ten discharges, the other two are two years old, one with 5 and the other 3 discharges.

One is junk and another one is on it's last leg, dies quickly after it reaches 60%.

The last two aren't doing real well either.

All show some swelling, two are real hard to get in and out of the Phantom.

I could have purchased other brands for less than half the price. If the two I just purchased last longer than the four I have I might buy more DJI's. BUT, if they don't give me at least as much as the last ones I'm trying the less expensive ones. I'm not happy with the ones from DJI so why did I just pay $129 each? I wanted OEM.
Where did you store them in the interim, the oven?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Neon Euc

But, I don't see the four genuine DJI batteries I own as anything to brag about. Two are four years old with not more than ten discharges, the other two are two years old, one with 5 and the other 3 discharges.

One is junk and another one is on it's last leg, dies quickly after it reaches 60%.

The last two aren't doing real well either.

All show some swelling, two are real hard to get in and out of the Phantom.

I could have purchased other brands for less than half the price. If the two I just purchased last longer than the four I have I might buy more DJI's. BUT, if they don't give me at least as much as the last ones I'm trying the less expensive ones. I'm not happy with the ones from DJI so why did I just pay $129 each? I wanted OEM.
I think it's more likely the lack of use that caused the performance issue.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
A very small amount of you may have seen my 3rd party battery review I did. Well.... I never had any problems with it at all. In fact... It performed better then my OEM battery. But I sold it. Why? Well... No problems with it, it costs half the price, had no issues. But as it wasn't OEM I thought I would get OEM only. Did I make the right decision? Did I fix what wasn't broke? (It was sold as non-official OEM by the way with healthydrone screenshot of the life left) was it worth paying double for the official battery or did I just pay double for the name? They don't hold the exclusive rights to lipo do they so why can't other companies do it? Cheer me up guys. Not sure if I made the right decision now [emoji55][emoji55][emoji55]

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app
I don't put off-brand parts in my Lexus or my Phantom. Especially off-brand lithium-ion batteries from unknown child-labor workshops in China*. They've got a bad habit of catching fire and/or exploding.

*Lived and traveled in Asia, including China, for more than 10 years and my experience is first-hand.

Well, here's my 2 cents worth....I bought one non genuine battery for my P3A, of which I had two. After about 4 months of regular use without a problem my first P3A fell out of the sky at 180 feet, no warning, onto a sandy beach. Back home after opening it up I found just about every solder joint was broken from the impact. Next day, without thinking, I put the same after market battery in my second P3A after recharging it. At 120 feet it too fell to earth, but apart from shell and camera damage, it was repaired, and still flies perfectly. The firmware was never updated that caused the after market batteries to shut down or prevent motor start up. Naturally that battery will never go into my P3A again.....

Reactions: Numone and Neon Euc
Well, here's my 2 cents worth....I bought one non genuine battery for my P3A, of which I had two. After about 4 months of regular use without a problem my first P3A fell out of the sky at 180 feet, no warning, onto a sandy beach. Back home after opening it up I found just about every solder joint was broken from the impact. Next day, without thinking, I put the same after market battery in my second P3A after recharging it. At 120 feet it too fell to earth, but apart from shell and camera damage, it was repaired, and still flies perfectly. The firmware was never updated that caused the after market batteries to shut down or prevent motor start up. Naturally that battery will never go into my P3A again.....
Whao. Lesson learned for sure. Glad your still flying tho. Think I will stick to OEM for sure now [emoji4][emoji4]

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
My top of the range Note 7 is not a Chinese rip off, but apparently the batteries are still made under poor quality control with the possibility of exploding. So it doesn't really matter if you buy an oem battery or one from a 'Chinese child labour factory', they could all explode.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was looking at a few of the ebay batteries and found this.

Snip/ Good News:
1. This battery is Fully decoded, You can use it as an Original battery without any question.
2. 24 hours Handling time, and Shipped from California By USPS, You can get it in 1-5 workdays snip/

Decoded and without any questions. Seems to be lots of questions here. [emoji107]

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

A very small amount of you may have seen my 3rd party battery review I did. Well.... I never had any problems with it at all. In fact... It performed better then my OEM battery. But I sold it. Why? Well... No problems with it, it costs half the price, had no issues. But as it wasn't OEM I thought I would get OEM only. Did I make the right decision? Did I fix what wasn't broke? (It was sold as non-official OEM by the way with healthydrone screenshot of the life left) was it worth paying double for the official battery or did I just pay double for the name? They don't hold the exclusive rights to lipo do they so why can't other companies do it? Cheer me up guys. Not sure if I made the right decision now [emoji55][emoji55][emoji55]

You bought it knowing it was a clone. You review it and opine its as good as DJI. You have used it without problems...now you decide to sell it!
Seems illogical to me. You could simply have kept it as a backup if you did not want to continue using it.

DJI can charge what they like because ---- they can and add another $billion to Erics retirement plan

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1