Just got pinged by DJI support

Did some testing today. H264 and h265 show no discernible quality difference to the naked eye for fairly stationary video. However you can see an improvement if there is a lot of movement or motion using h265 over h264.
How are you processing your H265 footage?

Did some testing today. H264 and h265 show no discernible quality difference to the naked eye for fairly stationary video. However you can see an improvement if there is a lot of movement or motion using h265 over h264.
I agree, found the same
That was surprising to me, since a few have suggested significant improvements in textures like trees. It seems they are just comparing to P4 footage, where jump to 100MBit mainly causes such improvements.
Maybe h264 is sufficient after all... the added hassle with h265 workflow really not much fun

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi, I have since concluded that my example was not representable as it was really harsh conditions for any single-pass encoder. I have gone to sharpness -1 since, and not seen this again in any footage so far (during similar conditions). I find that h265 is working and am really only waiting for a correct log implementation.
Tomas,
Good to hear that, thanks for update.
And yes, proper LOG would be lovely....

The pulsing effect exists in both the newer H.265 AND the older H.264. The pulsing exists in both the newer P4P and my older Inspire 1 Pro. The pulsing exists in both my DJI cameras AND NONE OF MY OTHER CAMERAS!

Brian
Sorry, Brian, after what we learned in the meantime you re gonna have to show some new proof.
Your old example was due to incorrect scopes, can we at least agree on that?

Sorry, Brian, after what we learned in the meantime you re gonna have to show some new proof.
Your old example was due to incorrect scopes, can we at least agree on that?

We can agree on incorrect scopes -- how so?

I'm uploading some of my Inspire 1 Pro videos to One Drive and I'll make that available so others can see. This flickering thing is not new and has existed with both my DJI drones and is not present in any other footage from any other camera. Interestingly, once uploaded to YouTube the flickering is still there but is less visible so wringing it through another process does something to diminish the effect though it is still there. The flickering effect is less noticeable with the P4P than the I1 Pro but the fact (FACT) that both have this effect and is not present with other cameras tells me it's something in the way DJI is doing it.

Brian

Reactions: KevMo Photog
We can agree on incorrect scopes -- how so?

I'm uploading some of my Inspire 1 Pro videos to One Drive and I'll make that available so others can see. This flickering thing is not new and has existed with both my DJI drones and is not present in any other footage from any other camera. Interestingly, once uploaded to YouTube the flickering is still there but is less visible so wringing it through another process does something to diminish the effect though it is still there. The flickering effect is less noticeable with the P4P than the I1 Pro but the fact (FACT) that both have this effect and is not present with other cameras tells me it's something in the way DJI is doing it.

Brian
Incorrect scopes as described by DJI due to displaying incorrectly for h.265 in Premiere currently. I ve tested this (I won't link my video again) and you can, too. So to me: clearly FACT.

OK, so maybe there is still pulsing anyway. This is P4 pro forum, your video discussed P4 pro, DJI looked at P4 pro footage. I don't know I1pro camera. If you have P4 pro footage with this flaw please share, I will be disappointed it exists, but immediately leave you alone about this.

Sorry, not trying to butt heads here, just surprised the Premiere issue doesn't resonate at least. Especially after acknowledging it as reason for the wash flaw.

Cheers

Incorrect scopes as described by DJI due to displaying incorrectly for h.265 in Premiere currently. I ve tested this (I won't link my video again) and you can, too. So to me: clearly FACT.

OK, so maybe there is still pulsing anyway. This is P4 pro forum, your video discussed P4 pro, DJI looked at P4 pro footage. I don't know I1pro camera. If you have P4 pro footage with this flaw please share, I will be disappointed it exists, but immediately leave you alone about this.

Sorry, not trying to butt heads here, just surprised the Premiere issue doesn't resonate at least. Especially after acknowledging it as reason for the wash flaw.

Cheers

The flickering is evident is the videos I've already posted to YouTube. Again, the effect is less with the P4P than it is with the I1 Pro and is further reduced by the additional processing by Google/YouTube.

The fact that DJI sees nothing wrong, or says they see nothing wrong proves very little and there comment that many PC's lack the power to properly handle video and therefore drop stuff is laughable on a couple counts: first, I have a high end PC and second, when rendering a program like PP takes whatever times it needs to do it and in my case, when render 4K footage with the minimal effects I tend to use takes between 1.5 and 2.2 times as long as the video to render. It takes longer if I specify greater bitrate for the rendered file. DJI's assurance that there's no problem is nonsense and I am not the only one that is seeing this and seeing it with more than one DJI drone. Have a look around the InspirePilots forum and the issue has been discussed by numerous people, not just me.

Have a look at these
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B743w6st4e0FckdqN0NkeVQzeWM/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B743w6st4e0FeUZ2Q2xlQ1UzTGs/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B743w6st4e0FRkpxMDM5TzBDMjQ/view?usp=sharing

Brian

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member