JUST flying is no fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am far too anilitical to just fly and take pictures with my Phantom 3 4k so I'm seeking advice. I need to DO SOMETHING. Find lost people, land survey, making, something. Not necessarily looking for a profession just looking for ideas of what to setup and learn to do. Anyone have any ideas? Other suggestions? Thoughts? Or should I sell it and move on.

I am far too anilitical to just fly and take pictures with my Phantom 3 4k so I'm seeking advice. I need to DO SOMETHING. Find lost people, land survey, making, something. Not necessarily looking for a profession just looking for ideas of what to setup and learn to do. Anyone have any ideas? Other suggestions? Thoughts? Or should I sell it and move on.
These machines are built and designed for use in video and photography. What motivated you to purchase one in the first place?

You are speaking to my soul: We designed the Phantom Rain Wet Suit for those that want to take part in a bigger adventure with the Phantom 4:

So we keep on eye on the most severe weather , Rain or Snow to try to capture something Epic.

If the winds start to howl and the light go out we go up:
We have dozens of video of us flying in extreme weather on are website: Phantomrain.org

Check out these frames from the video, we are going to print these out and hang them on the wall.
Just a few frames from the 100 shots we caught on video in the pouring rain.

Adventure flying is a blast. its scary, its insane to most , but being in the storm is pure fun.

strorm 4.png

storm 5.png
Approved Vendor :
Phantomrain.org

Showing off how severe it can get: But your efforts can be rewarded.
This was about 2 years ago. 3:am with a flash light to show off how capable the wetsuit was.

Designed to negotiate the water from getting inside the drone..... over 200 flights and flying still.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
You are speaking to my soul: We designed the Phantom Rain Wet Suit for those that want to take part in a bigger adventure with the Phantom 4:

So we keep on eye on the most severe weather , Rain or Snow to try to capture something Epic.

If the winds start to howl and the light go out we go up:
We have dozens of video of us flying in extreme weather on are website: Phantomrain.org

Check out these frames from the video, we are going to print these out and hang them on the wall.
Just a few frames from the 100 shots we caught on video in the pouring rain.

Adventure flying is a blast. its scary, its insane to most , but being in the storm is pure fun.

View attachment 102515

View attachment 102516
Approved Vendor :
Phantomrain.org

Showing off how severe it can get: But your efforts can be rewarded.
This was about 2 years ago. 3:am with a flash light to show off how capable the wetsuit was.

Designed to negotiate the water from getting inside the drone..... over 200 flights and flying still.

You didn’t make one for the phantom 3 though did you? The OP is flying a phantom 3. Arguably it doesn’t need one any more than the 4’s

You didn’t make one for the phantom 3 though did you? The OP is flying a phantom 3. Arguably it doesn’t need one any more than the 4’s

We designed the Phantom Rain Wet Suit for those that want to take part in a bigger adventure with the Phantom 4:

These machines are built and designed for use in video and photography. What motivated you to purchase one in the first place?
Wanted a drone but was not interested in racing so got what turned out to be a flying camera platform so now I need to figure out what to do with it instead of just take video. S&R? Maybe upgrade to a flir? Can the Phantom 3 do some form of ground topography or do I need some other sensors. Or is there other opportunities to us this expensive toy?

Wanted a drone but was not interested in racing so got what turned out to be a flying camera platform so now I need to figure out what to do with it instead of just take video. S&R? Maybe upgrade to a flir? Can the Phantom 3 do some form of ground topography or do I need some other sensors. Or is there other opportunities to us this expensive toy?
OK, got it. Here is a link UAV / Drone Jobs | Build a Career in the Drone Industry to an article I bookmarked when I first started flying about a year ago. Since none of these activities really qualify as "fly for fun" you're going to need to be certified. Search this forum or YouTube for "Part 107" and you'll get an idea of what's going to be required of you. Obtaining this certification is the first key to unlocking these doors.

And here's another regrading Part 107 that also touches on the Search & Rescue FAA Small Drone Rule Lets Unmanned Aircraft Soar

Personally, my thing is video & photography and lately I'm bored, too. I'm studying for my Part 107 and maybe I'll branch out next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Roach
There’s a lot of things you can do with a P3 that does not include photography.

Do you like fishing? Try surf fishing and use the drone to drop your like 50 yards out!

Ever see a balloon on a ceiling in a church or gymnasium? Use a coat hanger and extend it straight up the middle of the drone Put a piece of 2 sided tape on the end so you can capitalize the balloon on the ceiling and bring it down. That requires some real precision flying.

How about hanging some torn rags from it and placing a light inside of them for a ghostly effect? Halloween is coming soon.

Just let your imagination take flight and the fun will soon return!

There’s a lot of things you can do with a P3 that does not include photography.

Do you like fishing? Try surf fishing and use the drone to drop your like 50 yards out!

Ever see a balloon on a ceiling in a church or gymnasium? Use a coat hanger and extend it straight up the middle of the drone Put a piece of 2 sided tape on the end so you can capitalize the balloon on the ceiling and bring it down. That requires some real precision flying.

How about hanging some torn rags from it and placing a light inside of them for a ghostly effect? Halloween is coming soon.

Just let your imagination take flight and the fun will soon return!
I saw a video of a guy who used his Phantom to TP a house and several surrounding trees. It was flawless. And hilarious.

:openmouth:
I saw a video of a guy who used his Phantom to TP a house and several surrounding trees. It was flawless. And hilarious.
There were quite a few YouTube clips with people trying to toilet paper homes with drones. It looks like most of them didn’t turn out so well for the drone

Reactions: PaddyDelmar
This one not a Phantom

SAR with a drone is not something you just "take up" on a whim. You need to train with a SAR team, go through the ICS Training, and be prepared to go places and do things that put you and your aircraft in jeopardy. Also keep in mind that sometimes we see things we don't like and we can not "un see" them.

It's a lot more than flying around looking for someone waving their hands in the middle of a field. It's a high stress, no pay, long hours, lots of expenses, and VERY exhilarating process.

Thx I actually ran a team an hundred years ago or so back when they were coordinated through Civil Defence but I get the idea about new organizations and certifications. Not looking to change careers just looking to like volunteer to find a lost child or such. MAYBE?

Thx I actually ran a team an hundred years ago or so back when they were coordinated through Civil Defence but I get the idea about new organizations and certifications. Not looking to change careers just looking to like volunteer to find a lost child or such. MAYBE?
I suppose maybe? This just happened not too long ago in Orange County, CA. They guys they used were all certified. Here's a link to the story.

Drones used to help find missing college student

They eventually found the boy but not with the drones.

You'll still need to go through and get your Part 107 and get trained on Drone SAR. It's a great tool for SAR but you've got to be proficient in many flight envelopes and under high stress situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic