JUST flying is no fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do free aerial photography. Pick an area that you like and do a documentary film about it's history, present state, and future prospects.
It's just a mater of creativity.

I am far too anilitical to just fly and take pictures with my Phantom 3 4k so I'm seeking advice. I need to DO SOMETHING. Find lost people, land survey, making, something. Not necessarily looking for a profession just looking for ideas of what to setup and learn to do. Anyone have any ideas? Other suggestions? Thoughts? Or should I sell it and move on.
Agreed. At first, I liked the simple act of flying and learning the machine... then photographing ANYTHING, but one can only get so many pretty landscapes and lakes. So throwing it in the car and riding around aimlessly hoping to find something is getting old, but I still wanna do it... so I've got a few themes. In our area, there are a lot of "old style" water towers. One by one, they're going down and being replaced, so I'm doing fly-bys of those, and nice aerial still shots. The more rust, the better. I've also been hunting down ancient burial and effigy mounds... lots of those here, too (Wisconsin). Try that. Get a "theme" and go after those.

Reactions: Lo-Rider
You are speaking to my soul: We designed the Phantom Rain Wet Suit for those that want to take part in a bigger adventure with the Phantom 4:

So we keep on eye on the most severe weather , Rain or Snow to try to capture something Epic.

If the winds start to howl and the light go out we go up:
We have dozens of video of us flying in extreme weather on are website: Phantomrain.org

Check out these frames from the video, we are going to print these out and hang them on the wall.
Just a few frames from the 100 shots we caught on video in the pouring rain.

Adventure flying is a blast. its scary, its insane to most , but being in the storm is pure fun.

View attachment 102515

View attachment 102516
Approved Vendor :
Phantomrain.org

Showing off how severe it can get: But your efforts can be rewarded.
This was about 2 years ago. 3:am with a flash light to show off how capable the wetsuit was.

Designed to negotiate the water from getting inside the drone..... over 200 flights and flying still.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Oh, another commercial.

You're not actually flying a Phantom, just directing it.

Try fixed-wings if you want to enjoy the accomplishment of flying [an] r/c aircraft.

Didn't read all the posts so maybe someone suggested this but if not you could try to extend your range, I was getting bored with mine (P3 SE) until I did that, went from under a kilometre to 3kms and this has made it a far more interesting experience for me. Blue proton in the US do the Argtek range extender for the P3 standard but there are other range extending options that are covered online. I live in ireland and you can fly over very scenic areas taking videos. I also took the drone on holidays to the North of Spain over the summer and got some excellent costal/landscape shots and the drone was really handy to explore the local area to get my bearings and see things I'd never have found on foot. For me the biggest draw for flying is being able to get a totally different perspective to the one that you get on the ground but if you're happier on terra firma then flying probably isn't for you. Regards

Last edited:
If you are asking in a post 'what to do' with your drone, then sell it on move on.
So sad. How do you suppose people get ideas on cool stuff to do with thier $1k+ toy, and know what is safe or what is needed to push their personal limits? Social media, like this forum! I say, keep right on asking questions and getting good ideas! Who knows, maybe someday someone will post on this forum that they got their 107 and their SAR, and that they helped the police by locating a child lost in a forest!

Reactions: sgf
I agree that continuous learning provides the inspiration you need to keep interest. In my case, I have spent many years with still image photography where there is ample opportunity to grow ... especially with post-processing where you can challenge your artistic skills. BUT ... now the real learning curve that provides inspiration for me is cinematography. Developing a capture plan for your drone, executing it, and then doing the more involved post-processing and editing has many new, and more complex challenges than still image work.

It was freebie advertising for anyone that cares to fly in the rain.
The flyin in the rain guys will skew every post they can find an angle to pitch their product. I've learned to use the "Ignore" feature available to anyone who no longer wishes to see their posts. While I appreciate their support of this forum, I just wish they could contribute something more than "infomercials" every time someone has a question.

Last edited:
The flyin in the rain guys will skew every post they can find to pitch their product. I've learned to use the "Ignore" feature available to anyone who no longer wishes to see their posts. While I appreciate their support of this forum, I just wish they could contribute something more than "infomercials" every time someone has a question.

It does seem like spam after a while.

Didn't read all the posts so maybe someone suggested this but if not you could try to extend your range, I was getting bored with mine (P3 SE) until I did that, went from under a kilometre to 3kms and this has made it a far more interesting experience for me. Blue proton in the US do the Argtek range extender for the P3 standard but there are other range extending options that are covered online. I live in ireland and you can fly over very scenic areas taking videos. I also took the drone on holidays to the North of Spain over the summer and got some excellent costal/landscape shots and the drone was really handy to explore the local area to get my bearings and see things I'd never have found on foot. For me the biggest draw for flying is being able to get a totally different perspective to the one that you get on the ground but if you're happier on terra firma then flying probably isn't for you. Regards
Russ? ;-)

It’s a fine line between good advertising and being a nuisance.... I’m looking forward to all future DJI phantoms not needing wetsuits.
I’m totally with you with the birds :). I was being a bit sarcastic LOL. I didn’t mean good advertising. I meant a good opportunity - for HIM. LOL. He’s kind of a caricature of himself at this point. Ha ha.

It’s a fine line between good advertising and being a nuisance.... I’m looking forward to all future DJI phantoms not needing wetsuits.
Oh I realized my poor wording. So I’ll have a do-over:

Don’t let facts (such as what the OP is flying) get in the way of an advertising opportunity. ;-)

Never Ever "Risk Your Life" by standing in the rain and flying a drone...And having lightning hitting the ground around you....your setting your self UP to be a dead person after hit By a bolt of lightning !

Reactions: LarBear360
You are speaking to my soul: We designed the Phantom Rain Wet Suit for those that want to take part in a bigger adventure with the Phantom 4:

So we keep on eye on the most severe weather , Rain or Snow to try to capture something Epic.

If the winds start to howl and the light go out we go up:
We have dozens of video of us flying in extreme weather on are website: Phantomrain.org

Check out these frames from the video, we are going to print these out and hang them on the wall.
Just a few frames from the 100 shots we caught on video in the pouring rain.

Adventure flying is a blast. its scary, its insane to most , but being in the storm is pure fun.

View attachment 102515

View attachment 102516
Approved Vendor :
Phantomrain.org

Showing off how severe it can get: But your efforts can be rewarded.
This was about 2 years ago. 3:am with a flash light to show off how capable the wetsuit was.

Designed to negotiate the water from getting inside the drone..... over 200 flights and flying still.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Show of hands please.......

Is anyone else sick and tired of this person using every possible post as a cheap opportunity to push his product???

Come on my friend....... give us a break...... please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers