Just curious what antenna mod YOU are using.. feedback

Reaction score
I just watched a YouTube tutorial on how to install the antenna mod that will go into the stock antenna ports on the circuit board and that also come out of the stock antenna holes on the backside of the controller with no drilling! I have been wanting to do this for a long time but never looked into it, and now that Iv seen it done I know for a fact I can do it no problem as I am mechanically inclined (I'm a mechanic) basically i just wanted your feedback as to which is a good kit to buy. What kits are you guys using and how well are they working out for you?

I would like feedback only on the drill-less kit. Where I won't have to drill any new holes into the remote.. Basically plug and play style. My plan is to get more range from outside .. But eventually would like to run cables from inside my house to an outside antenna unit where the drone (outside) can recive the signal from me and the controller (inside) - either from inside my house or car.

Basically I'm just looking for some good /inexpensive brands, that ppl have used and that you know it works well for you, for both the antenna and for the antenna mod cables..

This way I can look up some of these brands that you guys use, knowing they are good and not junk.. And can make a decision of which kit/kits to buy from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm not very up to snuff with antenna name brands as in which ones are good, which ones are crap, etc. but I do understand well of how it works, and how to preform the mod. But for starters I would just like something small and portable. Like those block style antenna that can mount to the back side of the remote, kinda like the stock ones.. From there.. If I like it, then I'll prolly figure out a nice setup for flying the quad outside, but from standing inside or sitting inside my car.

So for right now, small and potable is key. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Both of those links contain the mods you would be interested in

The Nether world

Reactions: NoBiffBetter
I built my first external out of RG-6 cable 50 foot to SMA connectors. Works pretty darn good. Put the fabricated antenna mount on a 15 foot pvc pipe mast and topped it off with 8 db WIFI whip antennas. ($50 for everything)

Nice man.. What exact wifi antenna did you use? Like off a wifi router? Can you show me a link? And what are the fittings called that will be coming out of the controller? Will I need make or female SMA
connectors?

That is a simple easy fast way to go (how I got sucked into it) There are better cables, methods, but this worked very well for me when I started it. Learn all you can, and ask.. If you go this route (Inside flying) know there are risks.

Thanks so much man. You have no clue how much I appericate you taking your time to explain this stuff ... Once it clicks .. Which it's starting to click, I'll be a monster at making these antenna mods.. So if I understand this right .. I wanna use .5 kit, install into my controller, and since that's a female end, I'll wanna use .2 to adapt the end to take an f-Cabel ( such as a direct tv satalite cable... Run that outside to a peice of pvc pipe, from there I will drill holes and put in the connecter/adaptor .4, and install that into the pvc, and finally use 1. Antenna to thread that into the end of the .4 fitting that will be mounted I to the pvc pipe... Do I have this all correct? Or am i thinking of it wrong

Yes. May God have mercy on your soul... (Pope pray)

Reactions: Neon Euc
Learn all the SMA types: Male w/female hole, male with pin, female with hole, female with pin. And learn the various types of coax (Very important!!!!!!!!!) As well as db values and the relation to our systems.

The method I gave is a rough start to this way of doing things. The least amount of connectors/adapters is best. The best coax is key. The shortest length of cable is important. But using this configuration will allow youto see how it can be done... Go in peace and may the Phantom gods bring your drone back to it's nest ..

That was gonna be next question to you.. What exactly is dbs and is the more you have the better? A db your signal strength? I would think just like with anything else wireless that if you increase in db you may get better range but would loose maybe signal or image quality? Or is db like a channel of sorts?

Also what is coax? And do you think I could find a lot of these adaptors, cable, antenna, and such at a radio shack? Just cuz for my first time if I had the stuff in my hand to make sure I know what ends fit what I would feel much better buying that way so I could kinda peice it all togeher in my hand vs just looking at pix online and hoping to get it right my first time.. But long as I use the products in your list above.. And in the order I said previously, then I should have no issues with fittings/fitment etc right?

That was gonna be next question to you.. What exactly is dbs and is the more you have the better? A db your signal strength? I would think just like with anything else wireless that if you increase in db you may get better range but would loose maybe signal or image quality? Or is db like a channel of sorts?

Antenna gain explained - TP-Link
RF Power Values
https://wireless.fcc.gov/outreach/2004broadbandforum/comments/YDI_understandingdb.pdf

Also what is coax? And do you think I could find a lot of these adaptors, cable, antenna, and such at a radio shack? Just cuz for my first time if I had the stuff in my hand to make sure I know what ends fit what I would feel much better buying that way so I could kinda peice it all togeher in my hand vs just looking at pix online and hoping to get it right my first time.. But long as I use the products in your list above.. And in the order I said previously, then I should have no issues with fittings/fitment etc right?

The links I posted for adapters are what I used. The sequence listed is from antenna to controller. Coax is the "cable" used. Coax term is two wires combined. If you use junk coax cable you will not have a good match/signal. It prbly would work, but not very well the farther you fly out.
Here is a great cable pre assembled: https://www.amazon.com/WiFi-Wireles...male+Wifi+Antenna+Extension+Cable+6+feet&th=1
and here:
https://www.amazon.com/Times-Microw...able+N+Female+to+N-Male+Connector+25+ft.&th=1

Pictures of my first external (outside the house) antenna set up. 20161010_085214.jpg 20161005_045838.jpg 20161003_191409.jpg

Nice man that's a nice set up!!! Thanks for all your help. I really like how you did that, simple and clean...Well I just realized tonight when I went into my Paypal that i had 150$ credit from a refund that I got back a month ago.. That I Completely forgot about.. I was on the maxx UAV page looking at their setups and panels.. And decided what the heck, it's a good a time as any now that I have the extra loot to buy something good, so I bought the maxx UAV -maxx range panel kit, and added on the "clean install
Kit" this way if I ever wanna run two normal antenna I can.. Otherwise it would be kinda tough to mount with the fittings being on top of the remote.. I checked out the reviews and watched YouTube videos, ppl are getting insane range with this!! Some ppl are getting 30,000 feet, some are getting 4000-7000 meters! Can't wait to have that excelant penetration! (That's what she said)

My plan was to originally buy the smaller panel , because it's easier to carry around and not so **** big and bulky.. Which I still may get.. But after I realized I had the extra funds, I couldn't help myself being that it's almost twice the dbi as the smaller panel and only 40$ more roughly .. So I took the dive.

Another reason I went with this panel is cuz now when I want to run the quad outside, but sit inside and watch the live feed on my tv, all I think I'll have to do is get some cable run it out from my controller fittings outside where I will have a stand I will build, put the panel on the stand, and connect the cables to the panel (antenna)

This way I have the best of both worlds.. If I wanna fly from outside, just connect the panel to my controller, if I wanna fly from inside watching my tv, then just connect the panel to my outside cables and then connect the inside cable ends to my controller.. On theory this should work right?

Pictures of my first external (outside the house) antenna set up.View attachment 72492 View attachment 72493 View attachment 72494

It looks like you are running F-cables.. Will I be able to use the F- cable for my new maxxrange panel (antenna)? Or will I need to use a different cable that will be more compatible with maxx UAV's antenna?

As I said before I will most likely be buying the smaller panel as well.. Just for smaller flights and traveling.. But my big panel will be used for outside flying from inside my house, as well as around my naiborhood when I don't have to travel real far.. I figure buying maxx UAV antenna will be a much simpler answer to all that I was wanting to do.. And I feel like as long as I have the proper fitting/adaptors, and proper cable for the antenna then I should easily be able achieve my goals..

Ps. Awesome idea with the large clamp and bracket.. I like that. T-up

Nice man that's a nice set up!!! Thanks for all your help. I really like how you did that, simple and clean...Well I just realized tonight when I went into my Paypal that i had 150$ credit from a refund that I got back a month ago.. That I Completely forgot about.. I was on the maxx UAV page looking at their setups and panels.. And decided what the heck, it's a good a time as any now that I have the extra loot to buy something good, so I bought the maxx UAV -maxx range panel kit, and added on the "clean install
Kit" this way if I ever wanna run two normal antenna I can.. Otherwise it would be kinda tough to mount with the fittings being on top of the remote.. I checked out the reviews and watched YouTube videos, ppl are getting insane range with this!! Some ppl are getting 30,000 feet, some are getting 4000-7000 meters! Can't wait to have that excelant penetration! (That's what she said)

My plan was to originally buy the smaller panel , because it's easier to carry around and not so **** big and bulky.. Which I still may get.. But after I realized I had the extra funds, I couldn't help myself being that it's almost twice the dbi as the smaller panel and only 40$ more roughly .. So I took the dive.

Another reason I went with this panel is cuz now when I want to run the quad outside, but sit inside and watch the live feed on my tv, all I think I'll have to do is get some cable run it out from my controller fittings outside where I will have a stand I will build, put the panel on the stand, and connect the cables to the panel (antenna)

This way I have the best of both worlds.. If I wanna fly from outside, just connect the panel to my controller, if I wanna fly from inside watching my tv, then just connect the panel to my outside cables and then connect the inside cable ends to my controller.. On theory this should work right?

That is exactly correct you made the right choice I think you will be very happy with that setup

The Nether world

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.