Just curious what antenna mod YOU are using.. feedback

Right, ok. I should be fine with those two fittings for using an omnidirectional antenna as well right? Cuz what I'll do is try out the panel outside first flying from inside my house, and if it doesn't do so good for where I wanna go with my drone, then I'm thinking I should just be able to buy a couple nice omni direction antennas and thread them on instead of having the panel on that I bought.. Correct? If so I'm gonna buy those two fitting adaptors that you listed above .. now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And so is maxx UAV smaller panel correct? So what antenna would give me the best 360 degrees plus range? Or is it a give and take sorta thing? With a highly directional antenna it will go farther but must be pointed at the quads direction, and omni-directional is good for 360 degrees but doesn't allow for as much distance?

I did some research and answerd my own question... Omni directional antenna will produce a 360 degree signal but because it is not focused in one direction it will loose distance.. Most normal wifi omni directional antennas are a mile or less... A directional antenna, since the signal is only directed in one single direction it will travel much farther, but needs to be pointed or directed more towards the object that is receiving the signal.. Or needs to be with in the degree in which the antenna can transmit the signal.. Such as 32 degrees or what have you. Most normal directional antennas can produce a signal up to 3 miles or less..

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Ok gram this is what I just purchased I hope it's all right.. Couldn't find it on amazon for some reason so I just got it off eBay where I am use to shopping ...

Here is the RP SMA, which looks like a male pin with a hole in it -to denial F- style.

1. http://m.ebay.com/itm/RP-SMA-male-t...EXPRESS-USA-/131264878711?txnId=1305969298003

And here is the RP SMA connector which has an actual pin sticking out of the RMA connector , and again the other side is a f-style female like the one above..

2. http://m.ebay.com/itm/F-Type-Female...r-Converter-/141095839316?txnId=1353651415004

They are both basically the same connector other than one SMA side has a pin with a hole in it and one connector has just a pin coming out..

Both are high grade, non Chinese, and both have gold plating .. Hope I did good. Lol. Took forever to ween though all the fittings on eBay to find these, specially trying to find ones that ARNT China, and that are from the same seller, with fast shipping ( will be here Wednesday) as well as making sure they are the correct adaptors.

If this is all good, then my only other step is to make a cable long enough, which I have like 100 foot of f-cable from my buddy who installs cable boxes.. I'll just cut it to length and put one male coax fitting on each end.. And then my last thing is just to build a bracket on my tripod/stand to hold the panel, which I can't do until the panel arrives.

Once it's all put together and I mod the remote then it's test test test.. And as I said before, If I don't like the results of using the panel on a stationary stand, then I'll be looking for some high grade omni directional antennas. From there I should be happy happy happy!

:D!!

EDIT: Incase you were wondering I paid roughly 5$ per adaptor, which I didn't think was too bad, I wanted to get them all from the same seller so I could save on shipping, total was like $20.17 Shipped for all 4 adaptors

Ok gram this is what I just purchased I hope it's all right.. Couldn't find it on amazon for some reason so I just got it off eBay where I am use to shopping ...

Here is the RP SMA, which looks like a male pin with a hole in it -to denial F- style.

1. http://m.ebay.com/itm/RP-SMA-male-t...EXPRESS-USA-/131264878711?txnId=1305969298003

And here is the RP SMA connector which has an actual pin sticking out of the RMA connector , and again the other side is a f-style female like the one above..

2. http://m.ebay.com/itm/F-Type-Female...r-Converter-/141095839316?txnId=1353651415004

They are both basically the same connector other than one SMA side has a pin with a hole in it and one connector has just a pin coming out..

Both are high grade, non Chinese, and both have gold plating .. Hope I did good. Lol. Took forever to ween though all the fittings on eBay to find these, specially trying to find ones that ARNT China, and that are from the same seller, with fast shipping ( will be here Wednesday) as well as making sure they are the correct adaptors.

If this is all good, then my only other step is to make a cable long enough, which I have like 100 foot of f-cable from my buddy who installs cable boxes.. I'll just cut it to length and put one male coax fitting on each end.. And then my last thing is just to build a bracket on my tripod/stand to hold the panel, which I can't do until the panel arrives.

Once it's all put together and I mod the remote then it's test test test.. And as I said before, If I don't like the results of using the panel on a stationary stand, then I'll be looking for some high grade omni directional antennas. From there I should be happy happy happy!

EDIT: Incase you were wondering I paid roughly 5$ per adaptor, which I didn't think was too bad, I wanted to get them all from the same seller so I could save on shipping, total was like $20.17 Shipped for all 4 adaptors

All are correct. Good job!

Make sure you use quality connections for coax, and constructing cable make sure connections are WELL made (Crimp/strip/make). Ensure shielding goes almost all the way inside to the center mating surface, but doesn't touch the center element.

Reactions: NoBiffBetter
"You have snatched the pebble from my hand grasshopper"

Awesome , thanks man. I learn fast, just needed a good instructor like you to lead me in the right direction .. When I get it all installed and together I will take pics for you of the setup, and I'll also send you pics of the results , both mounted to the tripod/stand, as well as mounted to my controller. Hoping to have everything by or on Wednesday of next week. Then the real fun begins.

Again.. Couldn't have done it with out ya, I knew what I wanted to do, but didn't know where or how to start. So thanks again big buddy.

Awesome , thanks man. I learn fast, just needed a good instructor like you to lead me in the right direction .. When I get it all installed and together I will take pics for you of the setup, and I'll also send you pics of the results , both mounted to the tripod/stand, as well as mounted to my controller. Hoping to have everything by or on Wednesday of next week. Then the real fun begins.

Again.. Couldn't have done it with out ya, I knew what I wanted to do, but didn't know where or how to start. So thanks again big buddy.

Glad to have helped, but it was due to all the others here and God first that put me on this rabbit trail 'o fun.

Agreed, im always lookin for the next adventure. And these quads are a great way to sight see/explore this beautiful earth in a spectacular way as if your own eyes were in the sky. Love it.

Why gram I found 2 rolls of rg59 coax at my fathers garage.. Do you think this will be good enough ? I'm just worried about signal loss.. I know the farther the able I run the more loss I'll have.. So I'm trying to keep it around 25ft each with no breaks...

So you think I should try this rg59 or should I use rg6 which has a larger center cable and can produce a better feed at more MHz frequency

Why gram I found 2 rolls of rg59 coax at my fathers garage.. Do you think this will be good enough ? I'm just worried about signal loss.. I know the farther the able I run the more loss I'll have.. So I'm trying to keep it around 25ft each with no breaks...

So you think I should try this rg59 or should I use rg6 which has a larger center cable and can produce a better feed at more MHz frequency

Nvm man... I was gonna use RG59 I found out in the garage and then asked myself "if you didn't cheap out thus far, why would you cheap out now?" Lol so I went to the local hardware store and Bought very high end 2x 50 foot- RG6 (quad shield) coax cable.. I also got all my fitting/adaptors in today as well.. I got everything I'll need now, already pulled the old antenna out of the remote with out a hitch, just got back from the post office and shopping for cable, gonna re-assemble everything with the new kit. I'll send pics when she's done! Shouldn't be long now.

While the 59 would work, the RG-6 will be better.

I'm waiting on pre-assembled LMR-400 lengths now. Since I've already used the RG-6, I'm quite curious as to the LMR performance. It's expensive stuff, but so is my Phantom.

a852a200ffff35e3aad9a10c9fe85866.jpg

2f78e4ea3ad42f5b952828cf23ef3de8.jpg
fc3f73b3abbc678288236246dc977a65.jpg

Finished the mod earlier today.. I sliced the old (clear glue) right down the middle when I removed the right side antenna and it worked perfectly.. I was even able to lay the new antenna back into the glue just like it was from the factory.. Then took some clear rtv I had laying around and put a little dab over the two glue spots so that it was just like new.. And so that the ribbon wire and antenna was again being held firmly in place..

The cable I got RG6 was super expensive, at least to me, at 27$ for a 50' it also has high end gold coated F-connectors as well, and that's to you gram all 4 adaptors I got work perfectly !! So all that's left for me is to build a bracket for the antenna to sit onto my tripod (which shouldn't take me long) and run the cable out of my house which again (isn't gonna take me long) and then I'll be ready to fly either from inside my house with the antenna mounted to the outside tripod, or fly outside with the antenna mounted to my remote..

The controller mount that came with the maxxrange is super nice build and easy on and off. It's got these bolts with springs on either side and all
You gotta do is push it on over the metal controller brace and it snaps right into place... Taking the antenna off is as easy as just pushing two tabs apart which opens the ends and it comes right off the controller .. Smart stuff. Good craftsmanship!

Last edited:
cc933faa802b364342ea66e5b7dcd75f.jpg

What do you think of the bends in the provided black cables tho? Do you think that's too much of a bend in the cable? They arnt kinked.. But are bent quite a bit to make it for properly.. I also got sent the other antenna mod kit, for drilling the holes in the controller, and the two cables in this picture that are laying down on the table are from THAT kit.. Since they are thinner, and slightly longer than the black ones, do you think it would be better for me to run those instead of the black cables? I used the black cuz not only do they look nicer, but they are thicker and a better looking Quality as well.. I just don't know if I like how much I had to bend them to make them fit where they are..

My ONLY real complaint with this kit would be that the outputs on the "clean install kit" are very short threaded.. So there is no way to double nut the ends as to another way to keep them from ever spinning or coming loose on you.. I tried using 2 nuts on each fitting but I'm almost positive that the threads would no longer be long enough to make a good connection with the wires going into them.. So I decided to take the extra nut back off each one and just left it be.. It prolly will be fine.. But only time will tell. Just woulda been nice if they were slightly longer so that I could have put 2 on, Iv seen other clean install kits that allow for this.

Last edited:
cc933faa802b364342ea66e5b7dcd75f.jpg

What do you think of the bends in the provided black cables tho? Do you think that's too much of a bend in the cable? They arnt kinked.. But are bent quite a bit to make it for properly.. I also got sent the other antenna mod kit, for drilling the holes in the controller, and the two cables in this picture that are laying down on the table are from THAT kit.. Since they are thinner, and slightly longer than the black ones, do you think it would be better for me to run those instead of the black cables? I used the black cuz not only do they look nicer, but they are thicker and a better looking Quality as well.. I just don't know if I like how much I had to bend them to make them fit where they are..

My ONLY real complaint with this kit would be that the outputs on the "clean install kit" are very short threaded.. So there is no way to double nut the ends as to another way to keep them from ever spinning or coming loose on you.. I tried using 2 nuts on each fitting but I'm almost positive that the threads would no longer be long enough to make a good connection with the wires going into them.. So I decided to take the extra nut back off each one and just left it be.. It prolly will be fine.. But only time will tell. Just woulda been nice if they were slightly longer so that I could have put 2 on, Iv seen other clean install kits that allow for this.

It all looks 100% correct. Very good work. The thicker black cables are what I prefer. The bend is fine. As for locking the connector so no spin occurs, hot glue/RTV the inside surfaces of them to controller wall. You're gonna love that mod you just did.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20