Just a heads up to those who ignore the rules.

Technical progress (like UAVs) can never be banned, it can only come under stricter legislation maybe.

Years ago people feared for the motor car, saying it should be banned as it could cause drivers do black out above 20mph...times have changed.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I was really disturbed by an Audi car commercial I saw the other day where drones were chasing people and the tag line was something like "technology doesn't have to be intimidating" - It's pretty infuriating because this car company is taking an unnecessary swipe at drones for no good reason...

Here is is:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
A pretty cool advert. TBH Audi (VW) need to look at telling the truth about there own products (hint: emissions) than showing SciFi adverts. Cheers.

Wow... interesting read. I am an advocate for this. However... If they are getting 100 reports a month on drone sightings, then it would be very interested to see the frozen chicken test applied to the Phantoms. What would a phantom do to an engine or window on impact? Is the way the phantom constructed more stronger than a frozen chicken? Would the motors (I think they are the hardest component on the drone) disintegrate on in the turbine and cause any damage or engine failure??

I wouldn't want mythbusters doing this as they got it wrong in the past. If you want to know, MB used a motor and a prop and "forced" the spinning prop into the pigs flesh as said it deemed it deadly. We know in real life that the phantom would bounce off the object and probably scratch and worst case cause cuts. The only way I see a phantom really hurting someone is that it fell with terminal velocity due to motor failure.
Just wanted to comment on the drone vs the turbine engine. I work on those type engines and ours turn 22,300 rpm's. We have to keep the roads clean do to grains of sand can trash the engine. The drone would seriously damage the engine. On the other hand if you get caught flying the bird some where you shouldn't you need to be made an example out of !!!!!

Reactions: BSquared
Amen to that! Turbine engines will NOT tolerate even very small debris! Should someone get sucked in to one with his/her drone, then the full force of the law applies! They should NEVER have been there!

Post #1:

FAA tracking quadcopters who are disobeying off limit areas

Heres a link:
FAA could bust drone users by tracking radio waves
The thread title is: "Just a heads up to those who ignore the rules."

Over the last several thread pages the subject has evolved into something else.

Some of the participants, one in particular, is new to the sUAV subject and knows little about the P1 and P2. As a result, the posts are filled with minutia.

The baby in the stroller was hit by debris from the bird or something after it crashed onto the street. More media sensationalizing.
tumblr_nozbavrxe51ro8ysbo1_500.gif
The point is that the baby was hit. So it really doesn't make any difference since it was resultant of the "drone crashing"-- "drone" THE D WORD:(:(:(

There have been hundreds of thousands of hours of flight of small drones, yet there is not one verifiable report of a drone crash that resulted in a serious injury as defined by the NTSB to someone not connected to the flight. Not one. (A Band-Aid is not a serious injury- See CFR 49 §830.2).

The baby in the carriage was not hit by the drone, but from debris thrown by the prop hitting the ground. She was taken to the ER for evaluation and sent home the same day. Not a serious injury, but you have to read past the sensational headlines to find that.

Steve
Unfortunately, most people don't read past the first or second paragraph-- it is just another drone "hit" -- the fact that the baby was taken to the hospital made it a no win for us in the hobby. P3's and all the others in the same class are "drones" to most and "drones" are connected to all the horror inflicted by the full size aircraft used by the military. It has no guns , no bombs, but since it has a camera, all of a sudden we are connected in put in the spy drone classification. No one ever says flying camera platform .

At least I don't use a phony tail number for an ID. No CV info provided. While the P2V+ was announced in 2013, it indeed did not hit the market until April 2014.

I did not acquire mine until August this year. I seem to understand the systems better than a bunch of folks that post simplistic things such as "Yawn".

Now when someone wishes to have an intelligent discourse, I'll join the thread.

It's what I call- 'blow-hardy' statements like:
"I am much more adept in that arena than you have any idea of."

that make it so difficult to have "an intelligent discourse".

I set my RTH height over 160 feet. However, I am usually in a location where it is not necessary to be that high. I do my best to stay within the US FAA Limits that has a "Recreational Models Exemption", this restricts us to line of sight , no higher than 400 feet,and NO GPS waypoints . I have to fly this way since I fall under a very large No Fly Zone. I'm a long way to a Class A airspace, but just over 5 miles from a Class D airspace.

The US FAA just announced today that ALL drones are to be registered. Just too many folks that took it too far!

I set my RTH height over 160 feet. However, I am usually in a location where it is not necessary to be that high. I do my best to stay within the US FAA Limits that has a "Recreational Models Exemption", this restricts us to line of sight , no higher than 400 feet,and NO GPS waypoints . I have to fly this way since I fall under a very large No Fly Zone. I'm a long way to a Class A airspace, but just over 5 miles from a Class D airspace.

The US FAA just announced today that ALL drones are to be registered. Just too many folks that took it too far!
Do you have a link for that announcement?

hey meta I looked at your shots - nice stuff. but I'm sure you did it responsibly. I'm not saying we should not fly high when allowed to , but not near an airport - or the middle of las vegas or Chicago. dude I am dying to do the Bellagio fountains at night, but I am awaiting permission

Easy to see this coming...with all the high profile news coverage... regulation is not going to stop those who don't care, they will continue to fly irresponsibly some will get caught and have to pay the price-- but those who observe safe flying standards are the real losers... hobbyists and businesses alike-- because they are the ones that will follow the regs and register their aircraft. There wont be enough profit for small operators to overcome the regulation cost which will include insurance coverage, registration fees and fines when minor violations occur. The cost business has just gone up for those folks trying to make a few bucks.
Those who don't care will continue make the news and a some point they may be prohibited in most areas.

Reactions: Gary E and BSquared
Do you have a link for that announcement?

Try: <http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/19/politics/drone-registration-task-force-announced/index.html>
It has been on every news that I know of.
The Task Force will Develop the methods, procedures, and the infrastructure to handle this insanity. They will publish the whole procedure, the desired method of registration and the roll out in November. They want it in place prior to the Christmas purchasing period.

No one knows whet this will end up like right now. I don't "think" this will get down to the "nano quads", but whom knows?

Last edited:
This is first handled best by becoming an AMA Member. This provides liability insurance. There will always be those that won't follow the rules. Those will eventually get caught.
Those of us that will register, follow the rules as we have been will be able to continue flying.
Personally, I don't have an issue with registering. I've been following all the rules the entire time. I don't do this for a business, just recreation.

Try: <http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/19/politics/drone-registration-task-force-announced/index.html>
It has been on every news that I know of.
The Task Force will Develop the methods, procedures, and the infrastructure to handle this insanity. They will publish the whole procedure, the desired method of registration and the roll out in November. They want it in place prior to the Christmas purchasing period.

No one knows whet this will end up like right now. I don't "think" this will get down to the "nano quads", but whom knows?
right in front of you and on my original post up top

I was responding to bobmyers question. I too saw yours, and you and I have the info. I had it last Night even on the 10PM local news station.

Thank you anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.