Just a heads up to those who ignore the rules.

Wow... interesting read. I am an advocate for this. However... If they are getting 100 reports a month on drone sightings, then it would be very interested to see the frozen chicken test applied to the Phantoms. What would a phantom do to an engine or window on impact? Is the way the phantom constructed more stronger than a frozen chicken? Would the motors (I think they are the hardest component on the drone) disintegrate on in the turbine and cause any damage or engine failure??

I wouldn't want mythbusters doing this as they got it wrong in the past. If you want to know, MB used a motor and a prop and "forced" the spinning prop into the pigs flesh as said it deemed it deadly. We know in real life that the phantom would bounce off the object and probably scratch and worst case cause cuts. The only way I see a phantom really hurting someone is that it fell with terminal velocity due to motor failure.

Wow... interesting read. I am an advocate for this. However... If they are getting 100 reports a month on drone sightings, then it would be very interested to see the frozen chicken test applied to the Phantoms. What would a phantom do to an engine or window on impact? Is the way the phantom constructed more stronger than a frozen chicken? Would the motors (I think they are the hardest component on the drone) disintegrate on in the turbine and cause any damage or engine failure??

I wouldn't want mythbusters doing this as they got it wrong in the past. If you want to know, MB used a motor and a prop and "forced" the spinning prop into the pigs flesh as said it deemed it deadly. We know in real life that the phantom would bounce off the object and probably scratch and worst case cause cuts. The only way I see a phantom really hurting someone is that it fell with terminal velocity due to motor failure.
There have already be reports of serious injuries and even one baby in a carriage hit. With the number of small camera and hobby drones out there these reports will not be fewer but more. But any incident or happening whether it involves property damage, injury or a sighting will be major news-- at least in the near term. My 2 cents.

I mean honestly I personally agree with FAA's approach to this. I'm no engineer. But, a phantom going into a commercial jet engine or even a small plane engine could cause something so minor that may lead to something more catastrophic. I wouldn't want to know what would happen. For us (responsible users) this shall pose no threat. But, we all know there really are dumb people out there who are buying these quads from all different companies and launching them up in the air without even opening the manual. Let alone finding out if they are allowed to fly in their area or not. DJI and other companies are making it even easier to fly it without looking at the manual at all. We need these dummies to be caught before someone does get really badly injured or worse. I would hate to see our hobby destroyed due to these irresponsible people.

I mean honestly I personally agree with FAA's approach to this. I'm no engineer. But, a phantom going into a commercial jet engine or even a small plane engine could cause something so minor that may lead to something more catastrophic. I wouldn't want to know what would happen. For us (responsible users) this shall pose no threat. But, we all know there really are dumb people out there who are buying these quads from all different companies and launching them up in the air without even opening the manual. Let alone finding out if they are allowed to fly in their area or not. DJI and other companies are making it even easier to fly it without looking at the manual at all. We need these dummies to be caught before someone does get really badly injured or worse. I would hate to see our hobby destroyed due to these irresponsible people.
It is an unattainable goal. "Responsible users" are probably outnumbered 10 to 1-- they don't have enough enforcement personnel catch the violators to stop it from happening. It is another "gun" issue. The responsible are the ones that pay the price.
2 more cents.o_Oo_O

Perfectly attainable. As a pilot, I have to comply by regulation with ALL law enforcement officers. They put it in the regulation and you are participating by engaging in aeronautical activities. There is already precedent, otherwise the FAA would have no authority over the guy without a certificate flying an unregistered home built airplane.

I've corrected a couple idiots, and one one told me to screw off, so I called the troopers, they came and collected info, and passed it on to FSDO. These idiots were flying on the taxiway of a local public use airport, occasionally going over the runway (fixed wing UAS).

...then it would be very interested to see the frozen chicken test applied to the Phantoms. What would a phantom do to an engine or window on impact? Is the way the phantom constructed more stronger than a frozen chicken?

I believe the frozen chicken test is a myth borne out of a joke to make a certain group look ignorant. Engines and windows are tested with a poultry gun that launches chicken carcasses that are not frozen.

Edit - added link: snopes.com: Chicken Cannon

Perfectly attainable. As a pilot, I have to comply by regulation with ALL law enforcement officers. They put it in the regulation and you are participating by engaging in aeronautical activities. There is already precedent, otherwise the FAA would have no authority over the guy without a certificate flying an unregistered home built airplane.

I've corrected a couple idiots, and one one told me to screw off, so I called the troopers, they came and collected info, and passed it on to FSDO. These idiots were flying on the taxiway of a local public use airport, occasionally going over the runway (fixed wing UAS).

I can't agree-- unfortunately 99.9 % of those flying these are not pilots and most could care less about what the FAA thinks or writes, much less snitch on the violators.

Yes, a few of them will get caught and fined and may have to serve some time-- this may discourage others-- but it will take a lot of enforcement. The FAA has trouble enforcing all the regulations they have now for those who try to comply every day. The are short handed and under funded on every front.
It will become a gun issue-- and only you and the rest of us who want to be responsible uav pilots will suffer the greatest impact from the regulation by severely limiting the areas that the UAVs can be flown in. It has already happened and those areas are expanding every day. I would foresee a time when every UAV pilot in the US-- hobby or otherwise will have to have some sort of license or certification. I hope I am wrong. Cheers:) and happy flying

If a jet engine sucks a drone up it will certainly take the engine out. I use to work on f16 fighting Falcons and the smallest pebble can wreck havoc on a jet engine. Birds that are not frozen also wreck havoc and can cause a compressor stall. The blades inside a jet engine are VERY fragile. When we were in Iraq the first stage blades would be polished to a shine from sucking up sand. Any metal piece inside the drone, even a tiny screw from one of these is going to cause a problem

This is overblown by a few idiots. The reality is that yes, a Phantom size UAS can cause damage to certain aircraft engines. The other side of this reality is that there are geese that weigh many times the Phantom that can cause more damage and greatly outnumber drones. Yet you barely here about bird strikes but everywhere you turn you hear about drones. There have been 142,000 documented bird strikes between 1990-2013. There have been ZERO drone strikes on manned aircraft since they started tracking it. Some birds have struck aircraft at 20,000 AGL, an altitude a Phantom type drone will never reach.

The point here is to quit overreacting and reach out to your Congress person and tell them to stop this crap. At some point enough is enough.

This is overblown by a few idiots. The reality is that yes, a Phantom size UAS can cause damage to certain aircraft engines. The other side of this reality is that there are geese that weigh many times the Phantom that can cause more damage and greatly outnumber drones. Yet you barely here about bird strikes but everywhere you turn you hear about drones. There have been 142,000 documented bird strikes between 1990-2013. There have been ZERO drone strikes on manned aircraft since they started tracking it. Some birds have struck aircraft at 20,000 AGL, an altitude a Phantom type drone will never reach.

The point here is to quit overreacting and reach out to your Congress person and tell them to stop this crap. At some point enough is enough.

+1

I'm all for finding the idiots who are flying close to airports... and I hope this does something to discourage them. I was pleased to see in the article that the AMA lobbyists are actively fighting back at what appears to be a gross over-generalization of "UAV" sightings. But the truth of the matter is that some idiots are actually doing these dumb and dangerous things. So find them and stop them.

I'm all for finding the idiots who are flying close to airports... and I hope this does something to discourage them. I was pleased to see in the article that the AMA lobbyists are actively fighting back at what appears to be a gross over-generalization of "UAV" sightings. But the truth of the matter is that some idiots are actually doing these dumb and dangerous things. So find them and stop them.

I'm with you there on making sure we target those who are not following the rules. I just can't stand it when a couple of bad apples are giving all of us a bad name. The fantastic nature of drones doesn't help us either because it's so easy for the media to portray this as a scary thing and people just eat it right up. That's my main problem with all of this. But enforcing the rules for some of these idiots? I'm all for that.

I'm with you there on making sure we target those who are not following the rules. I just can't stand it when a couple of bad apples are giving all of us a bad name. The fantastic nature of drones doesn't help us either because it's so easy for the media to portray this as a scary thing and people just eat it right up. That's my main problem with all of this. But enforcing the rules for some of these idiots? I'm all for that.

I was really disturbed by an Audi car commercial I saw the other day where drones were chasing people and the tag line was something like "technology doesn't have to be intimidating" - It's pretty infuriating because this car company is taking an unnecessary swipe at drones for no good reason...

Here is is:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: nickyb
There is a very good reason for that commercial................... popular opinion today is exactly that! The company is taking advantage of it and created a commercial that the average "citizen" can relate to. Oh, it was a take-off of the old Alfred Hitchcock movie The Birds. Had me scared to death when I saw it as a kid lol!!

There are plenty people here who are anxious for the government to go overboard with regulations.
Baffles me to no end.

What part of the constitution prohibits the federal government from making rules about drones? What part of the constitution would prevent the states from doing so?

ohhh gettin' schooled on the constitution all 'cause Johnny can't fly his toy on the White House lawn.
(or in the huuuuuuge field around the Washington Monument).

"First they take this freedom, next they'll take our ability to choose scrambled or sunnyside up- we must fight!"

#rollseyes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31