Just a heads up to those who ignore the rules.

Probably is a myth.

It's in Part 25, Airworthiness Standards for Transport Category Aircraft. Windows must not break when hit by a 3 lbs bird at normal cruise. Engines must not grenade, but they also don't have to keep running, just no parts of the engine can hit the airframe.

While those rules do NOT apply to General Aviation aircraft, it will simply take the loss of just one due to a small UAV, the mass of a Phantom of any model to become a very bad event that will make the current squawking go even higher.
I indeed DO know what General Aviation aircraft are covered and what they are not.

It is in OUR best interests to avoid ANY such encounter. The current "environment", and the views put forth by the Airline Pilots Association, and the FAA, would only become more restricted.

An example is one local Regional Airport that handles primarily General Aviation aircraft, along with some small commuter aircraft coming to and from for either flight training or maintenance, IS in a No Fly Zone.

Our interests are best served by ensuring that we, as a community of "drone" owners and operators, do NOT ever get into that Class D Airspace.

Our hobby, OR Photographic Entrepreneurs, needs to actually learn what Airspace Designations are, and what they mean. Should we fail to do so, it will not matter one little bit that certain rules do or do not apply to General Aviation aircraft! The end result will NOT matter one little bit to the FAA and the Task Force one iota!

Give this some significant thought.

This is indeed true. However, I would point out the recent engine failure of Transport Category Aircraft Engine that DID exit the engine nacelle, AND also DID penetrate the fuselage/airframe

This was NOT due to either a bird, nor a UAV, yet it still occurred as an internal failure that has the FAA and the NTSB to begin a thorough investigation.

BSquared, I agree with you with one exception. I have talked with an airport owner and gotten permission to fly in class D airspace, but with certain understanding and an active NOTAM. Anything can be done, just has to be done correctly :)

Ask, worst they can say is no.

Reactions: Ti22 and BSquared
I agree wholeheartedly! I don't just go off and do things without the proper steps being taken.
Getting permission is foremost in my mind. I would take that step, even though I actually would NOT be inside the range of that Airspace.
Last thing I want is to be one of those that flaunts the rules! Especially since I also do hold an FAA Pilot's Certificate. This is one of the reasons that I brought up the Airspace Classifications. There are most likely a large number that do NOT know them.

I would add that this area is within the Special Flight Rules Zone due to the 60 mile zone centered on Washington, D.C. Even VFR and Student Pilots/Instructors MUST maintain contact and accept the directions of Potomac Control Center. It makes it that much more of a high focus area. We've had far too many General Aviation Pilots foul up and it triggers a flight of interceptors every single time. They have installed a laser light system to "WARN" pilots that they are about to enter this zone. Naturally, they haven't been very effective!

Just a thought. I know it would mean a slight drop in efficiency, but couldn't the airline industry design a guard over the engine intakes to protecting them from 25lb geese and eagles. I can't take it anymore. 95% of the regs in this country are proposed, written and implemented by idiots for idiots. Just taxation in disguise and a bit of megalomania thrown in for good measure.

There have already be reports of serious injuries and even one baby in a carriage hit. With the number of small camera and hobby drones out there these reports will not be fewer but more. But any incident or happening whether it involves property damage, injury or a sighting will be major news-- at least in the near term. My 2 cents.
How about people getting **** on by birds.

I agree wholeheartedly! I don't just go off and do things without the proper steps being taken.
Getting permission is foremost in my mind. I would take that step, even though I actually would NOT be inside the range of that Airspace.
Last thing I want is to be one of those that flaunts the rules! Especially since I also do hold an FAA Pilot's Certificate. This is one of the reasons that I brought up the Airspace Classifications. There are most likely a large number that do NOT know them.
It's a shame when a pilot can have his license yanked for something totally unrelated to it's scope.

How about people getting **** on by birds.
tumblr_nozbavrxe51ro8ysbo1_500.gif
I guess they should take them to the emergency room to see it the bird excrement is dangerous.:eek::eek:

Reactions: John N Kronyak
It's just funny how 20 some big wigs get together and saying how they are all coming together to protect people from the drones. My question is other then a few bald spots on the a White House lawn do they have any reports of people being hurt?

It would not be feasible to design some form of a guard to prevent 28 pound birds from getting ingested by the turbine engine intakes. Most of them are fan jets as it is. That means that in the interest of getting higher efficiency, AND reducing sound levels, the very front set of rotating blades simply spin due to the airflow of the turbine engine behind that fan.

Biggest reason for noise reduction? The fools that buy houses "very" close to the airports, then do nothing but squawk about the noise! Now knowing the rate at which Commercial Aircraft either land or takeoff from Dulles International Airport, one would think that when they went with the Realtor to "look" at the house before they decide to buy, that they WOULD notice the frequency and sound of quite a number of them.

I'm around 12 to 15 miles due South, directly under the Southern Approach Path, and I hear every one of them. I have a whole different view of the situation. I spent 8 years living a similar distance from Eglin AFB, Florida. It was just normal. My only personal gripe was when they would fly the B-52s down low, and launching chaff to attempt from being directly picked up on radar. That was a pain as a teenager whom was tasked with raking it up every few days! It was simply a constant sound of aircraft, mostly of the Century Series, F-100, F-101, and the rest of the 1xx series. Got to where one could tell what it was by sound, then look up and see you were correct.

Lawman, if that was all it really was, then we wouldn't have this current state of affairs. Unfortunately it has gone far beyond that by those whom are of the mindset that rules and laws don't apply to them. Just take a good look at today's society!

Today AOPA posted :- The Department of Transportation and the FAA have published new details about plans to register unmanned aircraft systems and set out their legal authority to regulate all UAS of any size, including model aircraft.

In a notice published in the Federal Register on Oct. 21, the DOT cited existing regulations that already require the registration of all aircraft, including UAS, and noted that Congress has confirmed the FAA’s authority to regulate unmanned aircraft of all types. And while the FAA has exercised discretion and chosen not to enforce that requirement on recreational UAS in the past, the dramatic increase in reports of unsafe UAS operations has caused DOT to reconsider that practice.

So I decided to post the Florida (STATE) laws for skateboarding below: - If you can get through this onerous exercise, can you just imagine what the lawmakers can cook up together for drones ..... Its hilarious that we employ hundreds of thousands of people to determine regulations and laws for the vast minority of idiots. We cannot expect those idiots to follow common sense so we write biblical lengths of regulations to enable lawmakers to fine, or incarcerate the idiots who had no intention of following the law anyhow... not sure what the solution is but, this iMHO is ridiculous.....

The 2015 Florida Statutes
600x3_gradient.gif

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL View Entire Chapter
316.0085 Skateboarding; inline skating; freestyle or mountain and off-road bicycling; paintball; definitions; liability.—
(1) The purpose of this section is to encourage governmental owners or lessees of property to make land available to the public for skateboarding, inline skating, paintball, and freestyle or mountain and off-road bicycling. It is recognized that governmental owners or lessees of property have failed to make property available for such activities because of the exposure to liability from lawsuits and the prohibitive cost of insurance, if insurance can be obtained for such activities. It is also recognized that risks and dangers are inherent in these activities, which risks and dangers should be assumed by those participating in such activities.
(2) As used in this section, the term:
(a) “Governmental entity” means:
1. The United States, the State of Florida, any county or municipality, or any department, agency, or other instrumentality thereof.
2. Any school board, special district, authority, or other entity exercising governmental authority.
(b) “Inherent risk” means those dangers or conditions that are characteristic of, intrinsic to, or an integral part of skateboarding, inline skating, paintball, and freestyle or mountain and off-road bicycling.
(3)(a) This section does not grant authority or permission for a person to engage in skateboarding, inline skating, paintball, or freestyle or mountain and off-road bicycling on property owned or controlled by a governmental entity unless such governmental entity has specifically designated such area for skateboarding, inline skating, paintball, or freestyle or mountain and off-road bicycling. Each governmental entity shall post a rule in each specifically designated area that identifies all authorized activities.
(b) Each governmental entity shall post a rule in each specifically designated area for paintball or mountain and off-road bicycling which indicates that a child under 17 years of age may not engage in such activities until the governmental entity has obtained written consent, in a form acceptable to the governmental entity, from the child’s parent or legal guardian.
(4) A governmental entity or public employee is not liable to any person who voluntarily participates in skateboarding, inline skating, paintball, or freestyle or mountain and off-road bicycling for any damage or injury to property or persons which arises out of a person’s participation in such activity, and which takes place in an area designated for such activity.
(5) This section does not limit liability that would otherwise exist for any of the following:
(a) The failure of the governmental entity or public employee to guard against or warn of a dangerous condition of which a participant does not and cannot reasonably be expected to have notice.
(b) An act of gross negligence by the governmental entity or public employee that is the proximate cause of the injury.
(c) The failure of a governmental entity that provides a designated area for paintball or mountain and off-road bicycling to obtain the written consent, in a form acceptable to the governmental entity, from the parents or legal guardians of any child under 17 years of age before allowing such child to participate in paintball or mountain and off-road bicycling in such designated area, unless that child’s participation is in violation of posted rules governing the authorized use of the designated area, except that a parent or legal guardian must demonstrate that written consent to engage in mountain or off-road bicycling in a designated area was provided to the governmental entity before entering the designated area.
Nothing in this subsection creates a duty of care or basis of liability for death, personal injury, or damage to personal property. Nothing in this section shall be deemed to be a waiver of sovereign immunity under any circumstances.

(6) Nothing in this section shall limit the liability of an independent concessionaire, or any person or organization other than a governmental entity or public employee, whether or not the person or organization has a contractual relationship with a governmental entity to use the public property, for injuries or damages suffered in any case as a result of the operation of skateboards, inline skates, paintball equipment, or freestyle or mountain and off-road bicycles on public property by the concessionaire, person, or organization.
(7)(a) Any person who participates in or assists in skateboarding, inline skating, paintball, or freestyle or mountain and off-road bicycling assumes the known and unknown inherent risks in these activities irrespective of age, and is legally responsible for all damages, injury, or death to himself or herself or other persons or property which result from these activities. Any person who observes skateboarding, inline skating, paintball, or freestyle or mountain or off-road bicycling assumes the known and unknown inherent risks in these activities irrespective of age, and is legally responsible for all damages, injury, or death to himself or herself which result from these activities. A governmental entity that sponsors, allows, or permits skateboarding, inline skating, paintball, or freestyle or mountain or off-road bicycling on its property is not required to eliminate, alter, or control the inherent risks in these activities.
(b) While engaged in skateboarding, inline skating, paintball, or freestyle or mountain or off-road bicycling, irrespective of where such activities occur, a participant is responsible for doing all of the following:
1. Acting within the limits of his or her ability and the purpose and design of the equipment used.
2. Maintaining control of his or her person and the equipment used.
3. Refraining from acting in any manner which may cause or contribute to death or injury of himself or herself, or other persons.
Failure to comply with the requirements of this paragraph shall constitute negligence.

(8) The fact that a governmental entity carries insurance which covers any act described in this section shall not constitute a waiver of the protections set forth in this section, regardless of the existence or limits of such coverage.
History.—s. 1, ch. 99-133; s. 1, ch. 2004-288; s. 7, ch. 2006-290; s. 1, ch. 2015-48.

No one ever said that this was going to be simple or easy. The facts are simple - "THEY" will make this a requirement. I already know what the FAA has for rules and regulations for General Aviation Aircraft. They are indeed a royal pain!

That said, those very few have brought this on to all of us. So we sill have to follow the bouncing ball. Sad, but unfortunately true. I'll register, and I'll abide by the rules set forth.

This is the path we will have to follow, OR face the reality that we belly up and quit.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub