Jello Removal Tips

Reaction score
With my P2 I did the following:
- Purchase and ND filter.
- Changed the vibration balls to black ones (harder).
- Inserted foam ear plugs between the vibration balls.

Anyone trying something similar with the P3. Any other tips?

How does one balance props on the P3P? How do you know your props are unbalanced and the issue isn't elsewhere? I'm having jello problems too. cheers

How does one balance props on the P3P? How do you know your props are unbalanced and the issue isn't elsewhere? I'm having jello problems too. cheers

Get a prop balancing rod. A big factor in jello is going to also be shutter speed vs frame-rate. That's where the ND filters come into play.

Get a prop balancing rod. A big factor in jello is going to also be shutter speed vs frame-rate. That's where the ND filters come into play.
Can you be more specific about the frame rate? Does lower frame rate mean more jello?

Another trick that sometimes worked on the p2 was to get the soft ear plugs, roll them up as small as possible and put them inside the rubber dampeners. It's something very cheap and easy to try?

20150623_150842.jpg

Reactions: DattaGroover
I recently ordered the "Speedy Prop Balancer" from Amazon and went through all 16 props I have for the P3. All of them were off to a considerable degree, none were "balanced" perfectly out of the box. Instead of removing material from the blade I used thin strips of packing tape on the underside of the blade. Honestly, with the P2 and P1 I didn't spend much time doing this - but have found that the P3 really needs it done as I've experienced more jello with the P3 than the other platforms.

Takes about 5-10 minutes per prop (less time as you get an "eye" for how much material is needed based on how far off the blade is) - but well worth it. Was definitely worth the $24 for the setup and time spent getting it all out of the way in a couple hours.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I heard that balancing the props is a waste of time.
Props I have seem to be solid. I have one that's slightly off balance but I believe it's the hub. Regardless, I have no jello at all even with this slightly unbalance hub...JMO

On my p2 I took the spare landing gear rubber stickers and put two between the gimbal mount and the bottom of the Phantom cover.. Not too snug, but just a buffer to make the gimbal bracket not bounce around in fast movement. Made a big difference.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I always check the prop balance. I find that from the factory, they're not too bad; my P3 needed a little tape applied to only two of the eight supplied props. Not bad for a mass produced product going out in such big numbers.
+1

I recently ordered the "Speedy Prop Balancer" from Amazon and went through all 16 props I have for the P3. All of them were off to a considerable degree, none were "balanced" perfectly out of the box. Instead of removing material from the blade I used thin strips of packing tape on the underside of the blade. Honestly, with the P2 and P1 I didn't spend much time doing this - but have found that the P3 really needs it done as I've experienced more jello with the P3 than the other platforms.

Takes about 5-10 minutes per prop (less time as you get an "eye" for how much material is needed based on how far off the blade is) - but well worth it. Was definitely worth the $24 for the setup and time spent getting it all out of the way in a couple hours.
I had the exact opposite experience with my new P3 props, they were all very well balanced when I checked them-- This is probably a result of different manufacturing runs, so every one should be checked and not assumed good or no good.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
You've nothing to lose, cheap as chips to try too.

Just for my own clarification, are you rolling these guys up and inserting them in the center of the dampener on the gimble? And if so, I am assuming you are just doing two since the others have the clips. Sorry, I am having troubles getting my minds eye on this one lol.

Yep roll them up into a tiny ball and stick them inside, after about 10 mins they expand back out to fill out the inside of the dampener. You can just try the 2 if you want, I've used them on all my phantoms but I cut the anti drop pins off and replace them with lose fitting cable ties so I can put all 4 in. Haven't tried it on the p3 yet but I will if I see any jello at all.

I had the exact opposite experience with my new P3 props, they were all very well balanced when I checked them-- This is probably a result of different manufacturing runs, so every one should be checked and not assumed good or no good.
I Find the blacks are always good but the silver ones seem always alittle off, This from over 12 sets of blades from p2+ and P3
must be a bad silver mold grrrr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31