Video Artifact question, "warp field" not jello.

Reaction score
My wife bought me a Phantom 4 for Christmas. I love the unit, as it is a massive upgrade from my Phantom 3 Standard. However, I've noticed that out of the box, there is a small area of "warp field" effect on my videos. The Phantom 3 didn't suffer from this.

This is not camera shake Jello, but something else.

You can see it in these two videos. If you look near the bottom center of the playback when the video is full screen, you will see the "warp field" that I am talking about. It doesn't affect the entire video, and it is most pronounced when taking panning shots. The effect seems to disappear with slow movement and when hovering.

I'm pretty sure that this is a vibration issue of some kind, but it is different than the Jello effect that many others have troubleshooted. Has anyone encountered this before? Any tips on fixing this?

My wife bought me a Phantom 4 for Christmas. I love the unit, as it is a massive upgrade from my Phantom 3 Standard. However, I've noticed that out of the box, there is a small area of "warp field" effect on my videos. The Phantom 3 didn't suffer from this.

This is not camera shake Jello, but something else.

You can see it in these two videos. If you look near the bottom center of the playback when the video is full screen, you will see the "warp field" that I am talking about. It doesn't affect the entire video, and it is most pronounced when taking panning shots. The effect seems to disappear with slow movement and when hovering.

I'm pretty sure that this is a vibration issue of some kind, but it is different than the Jello effect that many others have troubleshooted. Has anyone encountered this before? Any tips on fixing this?
Just to confirm that you're not seeing things, yes, I can see it too, in both vids, when panning.

Sorry, but I don't know what the cause is... a bad section of lens maybe?

Reactions: ksaorsa
couldn't see it at 1080p on youtube , filming at 4k ? can your computer handle 4k ?

I had some choppy video at 4k, which I think may be related to my processing power in the computer. So I've been filming at 1080P 48FPS. The artifact is hard to spot unless you go full screen. It's a small area of the video, almost like a "warp" or a "wave." It's at the very bottom of the video playback, near the center left of the screen. At 15-17 seconds of the Perryopolis video, you can see the effect on the brown building when I turn to the left. It's like a wave going over the building.

Just to confirm that you're not seeing things, yes, I can see it too, in both vids, when panning.

Sorry, but I don't know what the cause is... a bad section of lens maybe?

Thanks!, at least I know I am not crazy. So that definitely isn't the "Jello effect" that others have been trouble-shooting?

What would make it stop when hovering? I think it must be vibration of some kind.

I had some choppy video at 4k, which I think may be related to my processing power in the computer. So I've been filming at 1080P 48FPS. The artifact is hard to spot unless you go full screen. It's a small area of the video, almost like a "warp" or a "wave." It's at the very bottom of the video playback, near the center left of the screen. At 15-17 seconds of the Perryopolis video, you can see the effect on the brown building when I turn to the left. It's like a wave going over the building.
Ah - I spotted some ripple about 2/3 across to the right on the screen in Mount Storm vid... Right at the bottom at about 4.5 seconds.
I have downloaded the vid at 720p and played it in slow motion and it's still there...

I think that it might still be there when you're not panning, but you don't notice it because there's nothing linear moving across the area of distortion. Again - I'm sorry I don't have any more ideas about what it could be.

Ah - I spotted some ripple about 2/3 across to the right on the screen in Mount Storm vid... Right at the bottom at about 4.5 seconds.
I have downloaded the vid at 720p and played it in slow motion and it's still there...

I think that it might still be there when you're not panning, but you don't notice it because there's nothing linear moving across the area of distortion. Again - I'm sorry I don't have any more ideas about what it could be.

I hadn't noticed it on that side, but you are right. It's on both sides. Only at the bottom of the video. It's really strange.

I hadn't noticed it on that side, but you are right. It's on both sides. Only at the bottom of the video. It's really strange.
And having watched it carefully some more, there is still some distortion when you are travelling forwards and not panning but like I said, it's not so noticeable because there is not so much vertically linear going through that area.

Please don't be insulted, but it's a new drone - you have taken the plastic protective film off the glass lens cover, haven't you?

And having watched it carefully some more, there is still some distortion when you are travelling forwards and not panning but like I said, it's not so noticeable because there is not so much vertically linear going through that area.

Please don't be insulted, but it's a new drone - you have taken the plastic protective film off the glass lens cover, haven't you?

Not insulted at all! It's often the little things like that that cause issues. I did take the film off, and I did remove the foam shipping block as well. I've looked at the lens, and I can't see any dirt or scratches on it that would cause it.

Reactions: Steve7777
OK - that's good but I thought I'd check... :)

I've been watching the Mount Storm vid again and the defect area that I mentioned always stays in exactly the same place and it's there all the time - but it can be noticed more when you are panning.

At the moment I'm going to stay with my idea of some sort of lens defect but I'll bow out for a while to see if others have any further ideas.

I can’t see anything wrong with the video on my iPhone 8 Plus. May be my eyes are not that sharp or issue is monitor related.

It's very difficult to notice unless you go full screen on a computer monitor.
I think it’s a glass distortion. It may be the lens filter which you can remove. Try removing it and testing. I have a similar distortion on the top left that I noticed right after getting my P4 but really I never notice it usually. I’m going to remove the filter and see if it’s still there next time I get it out.

Geo

I think it’s a glass distortion. It may be the lens filter which you can remove. Try removing it and testing. I have a similar distortion on the top left that I noticed right after getting my P4 but really I never notice it usually. I’m going to remove the filter and see if it’s still there next time I get it out.

Geo

Thanks! I had no idea that the filter was removable. I'll try taking that off and see if it fixes the problem.

Thanks! I had no idea that the filter was removable. I'll try taking that off and see if it fixes the problem.
Yes, you could try that. Like the P3 Advanced and Professional, the way to unscrew the filter is with a very light touch or the threads will bind and it won't unscrew.

I removed mine by gently curling my fingers around the filter and unscrewing it. If it's a bit tight then you could use an elastic band/tape/cable tie or some rubber gloves (do a search if necessary for more info) - but still applying very gentle pressure is definitely the way to go.....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub