Jail drop from Drone

Reaction score
Watching the news last night and saw a report of an inmate receiving a package dropped from a drone. Reports say the package contain drugs and a cell phone, this type of activity will further hurt the drone industry. Those of us that have read and follow the rules know that we are not to fly over jail facilities, and this is the reason why. There is currently legislation (headed by Marco Rubio) to place a ban on all DJI drones ( a whole nother matter on intellectual theif), but this type of activity will add fuel to the fears of the uniformed.

Activities like you mentioned above have been happening for a good while just more frequently as the technology gets easier (if it gets any easier ....Not GOOD), cheaper, and more readily available.

It's already illegal to fly any sUAS in the State of NC any closer than 500' from a "Correctional Facility".

Watching the news last night and saw a report of an inmate receiving a package dropped from a drone. Reports say the package contain drugs and a cell phone, this type of activity will further hurt the drone industry. Those of us that have read and follow the rules know that we are not to fly over jail facilities, and this is the reason why. There is currently legislation (headed by Marco Rubio) to place a ban on all DJI drones ( a whole nother matter on intellectual theif), but this type of activity will add fuel to the fears of the uniformed.
Outlaw drones heh? Hmmm...maybe just outlaw those drugs the drone was dropping...OH NO...WAIT ! Those are already outlawed Rubio Dubio. THAT would work on drones about as well as the current laws on drugs work. Just saying.

FYI Rubios legislation is not to ban all DJI drones its to ban the federal government from purchasing them because they are a Chinese company and obviously have access to the data from the drones.

Reactions: Kirby Johnson
FYI Rubios legislation is not to ban all DJI drones its to ban the federal government from purchasing them because they are a Chinese company and obviously have access to the data from the drones.
Ohhh..OK. Thanks, that makes more sense, though the last thing MR did, that I remember, was marrying the Miami cheerleader.

Activities like you mentioned above have been happening for a good while just more frequently as the technology gets easier (if it gets any easier ....Not GOOD), cheaper, and more readily available.

It's already illegal to fly any sUAS in the State of NC any closer than 500' from a "Correctional Facility".
I recently flew a few blocks away from a jail with the local police departments approval. They also have a drone. I called beforehand. They were very nice and i was well received. I am also in NC. Do you know about flying over state courthouses Mr Al? Also dont they have Wi-fi signal jamming devices that can jam the drones signals and make it RTH or fall out of the sky? Lol. Or would that mess with their systems and wifi? You would think there could be a more reasonable solution than banning drones..

Not only more reasonable but certainly more effective as the flight prohibition has no impact on this population of drone flyers as they all are out of law already.

Reactions: PhoenixOne
I recently flew a few blocks away from a jail with the local police departments approval. They also have a drone. I called beforehand. They were very nice and i was well received. I am also in NC.

That's the beauty of the NC law... if the "Authority" of the facility gives you permission to over fly you're good to go. We fly over the local facilities quite often but we're training with LEO/SWAT in that area so it's a bit different.

Do you know about flying over state courthouses Mr Al?
Unless the courthouse has a "Containment Facility" and many do.... it wouldn't fall under the same rules as a prison etc. Do note there are regulations on the books on the state level about flying FROM state property.

It's important to note (for anyone in any state) that just because you "Can" legally fly near/over a building doesn't mean it's a good idea. Sometimes we have to fall back on our moral compass and let that help guide our actions.

Also dont they have Wi-fi signal jamming devices that can jam the drones signals and make it RTH or fall out of the sky? Lol. Or would that mess with their systems and wifi? You would think there could be a more reasonable solution than banning drones..
I can't say for sure on this one... but there is a Federal building in one of the cities near me that "mysteriously" loses Cell Phone service when you're within a few feet of it so I would not be surprised if they have some form of "Device" but it seems to be low power and very localized.

Just about ANY Law Enforcement Agency "Could" have a Drone Jammer (DJI's version is AeroScope) but they aren't very common... yet. They would need lots of $$ and a good reason to justify the expense and training needed. Some larger places do have them but they aren't common yet.

I thought flying here in NC was gonna be a pain with the whole ncdot thing but i am glad to be in this state especially when the local police have a drone and the Lt. Who flies it Is pretty cool and knows his stuff. Thats awesome you get to train and fly with your local leos. I will have to do some research on the courthouse its pretty old so my best guess would be it has some kind of holding cell. Its so pretty though and would make a sweet shot. But, you are right. It might not be illegal but doing something foolish like that could attract unwanted attention. No sense in it. Just not too many beautiful attractions in my town except for old buildings. And I am sure there are some federal buildings that have some kind of protection or jamming device. I thought I remembered hearing something about jamming devices or EMP's when the one guy overseas tried taking out a president of some other country with a drone while a parade was going on or something of that nature. Said that they had wifi Jamming devices that stopped the drones from getting too close.

Reactions: BigAl07
And I do remember the law about taking off and landing on State Property but flying over it is OK I believe. correct? That kind of leaves alot of open possibilities.. I guess you really have to do your research of what is state owned or city or are they the same thing?

Reactions: BigAl07
Oh, and sending drones with explosives and all the illegal flying and associated shenanigans hasn't already done that!?!

Cant blame the tech on the bad people, that is like banning cars because some use them wrongfully. However I great government will not see it that way use these issues to further restrict or ban. We must keep putting pressure on our legislators otherwise.

SUas. Boy arent you a fancy idiot

****BigAl07: I combined your 2 partial posts into a single understandable post..... SMH

Last edited by a moderator:

I would normally "delete" such a comment when giving them a warning but this one deserves to stay so it can be corrected.

sUAS is the correct term for our unmanned aircraft that so many love to call drones. Go ahead and look it up if you'd like.... I'll wait . . . . .

NVM I'll go ahead and post it here:

sUAS is the industry's standard term for drone. sUAS = small unmanned aircraft system or small unmanned aerial system as defined by the FAA and adopted by the industry.

****BigAl07: I combined your 2 partial posts into a single understandable post..... SMH
Do you feel inferior cause you didnt known the correct term for unmanned aircraft? Or you just dont like people smarter than you? Do your research and fly safe. I dont know why people are so miserable and have to poke at everyone to make theirselves feels better about being who they are..

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl