I've been challenged

Lots of gas and oilfield.
Makes sense - they probably need the range over the bandwidth. I think I'll avoid Canadian oilfields for now.....;)

While new technology permits the use of lower power transmitters, the gain of the large reflectors still creates TX powers in the Kilowatt range, but not enough to fry the electronics, maybe just confuse them for a brief period.

The large antennas you see on the towers are microwave horn antennas.

On many a cell tower, if not all, they have these smallish round microwave dishes, I've never seen those horned ones. So if I understand correctly, the newer smaller ones emit less powerful waves that can't fry the drone when its (unknowingly) flown into one of those beams.

Good to know. Thanks!

On many a cell tower, if not all, they have these smallish round microwave dishes, I've never seen those horned ones. So if I understand correctly, the newer smaller ones emit less powerful waves that can't fry the drone when its (unknowingly) flown into one of those beams.

Good to know. Thanks!
The smaller ones are likely 9 to 24 GHz. and no threat to the Phantom. Unless you bump into one.

Reactions: flax
i live within a few miles of the Salem Radio Properties Tower. 1999 ft !!!!!

all i can find is VHF-UHF transmission...

anybody know anything about this tower and whether it would be safe to fly around.

i think i may have a contact, not that i know whether it would be allowed or not...

but how would my P2 do? any idea of frequencies from a tower of this magnitude ?

and what are the rules regarding small private aircraft around a tower like this. is there a certain radius where no aircraft are allowed?

thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1