Its Official.......the P4 has made me insane

Just fly, capture your own moments, form your own opinion, & enjoy yourself. Personally I can live with this...

Dirty Bird, what a masterful video. More compelling than 90 percent of the drone video out there. But you should have left large chunks of it on the editing room floor. For example, the long flight out to the ship could have been sped up or snipped. Ditto for the flight home. (You know, we moderns can't wait for things like plots to develop. ;-)

But the detail of the ship at the 5:20 mark is stunning. Makes me ask WTF Phantom4Man is talking about.

Thanks for sharing.

BHM

No idea what an op is but get a grip... its a forum, isnt that somewhere people join forces , not rip the **** out of each other!

No idea what an op is but get a grip... its a forum, isnt that somewhere people join forces , not rip the **** out of each other!
OP: Original Poster, person to open the thread.
Now, take it easy. People is showing their videos to share and hear opinions. Maybe his P4 is defective (which almost everybody suggest) and the only way to see that is comparing with other videos, isn't it?
Take it easy, good luck and happy flying!

Reactions: maseman88
Best response yet GreenHD. Thanks. I will try any tip or advice. Like I mentioned previously the bird flies really well the video portion of it is where I'm just disappointed

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I mean with any camera shooting in auto mode will produce "alright" at best photos and video.

You have to shoot in manual mode with nd filters and edit in post if you want to have great looking video.

This isn't just unique to the P4. This is most, if not all cameras.

I think it's time for the OP to post some video for everyone to see what he talking about. It's been 12hrs. Who has the nerve to make such a claim, then he can't show us? Compared to my P3P, my P4 seems to record video fine when I'm using the right ND filter and I pay attention to what I'm doing when flying. The OP says compared to P3P the P4 is not good, so I assume he's comparing to a reasonable grade of video, not some high end video camera as others have suggested. Maybe we'll see samples tomorrow.

Reactions: Suntana
I have had my p4 for about 6 weeks now and I find it producing very clear footage.. Most of the time I fly 1080p 60fps. Here's some footage of it

Reactions: Michael Humphrey
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

I have a Phantom 4. The video quality is horrific, actually I can't really type what I want to without the swear filter kicking in. I have tried all the excuses, dlog, - sat, - contrast, -sharpening, shutter this, shutter that.

Lets all really step up and man up with the fact that these Phantom 4 are not as advertised. I see too many people concerned about the quality to the point that I am thinking DJI engineers are wondering "how the f#%k are we gunna get out of this mess"

There are no magic settings to change or what to.......the firmware is either screwed up or the manufacturer has stuffed up the video section of these drones.

I am warning all people I work with to not purchase these drones.

If you are thinking of buying one, take hint of the concerns of other users and keep your cash in your pocket.

You have been cautioned.
I was thinking about you today. Have you thought to calibrate your lens?

The problem lies with the H.264 codec, it's great for high compression and internet use, pure crap for editing on a real system. However, that being said, the same problem exists with video shot on GoPros and that footage is used everywhere and accepted by broadcasters. Today you can get away with average quality HD as long as the content is relevant, no one seems to care that it's so highly compressed. Then again, the P4 is a fraction of the cost of the old formula that would consist of renting a helicopter, pilot, and required mounts to shoot broadcast or film quality with. I recall plenty of $8,000 days spent in a Bell Jet Ranger, so the quality of this $1,400 drone is stellar at the price point and ease of use.

Ok to improve the picture quality here are my successful suggestions:
1) Put a ND8 filter on the lens and leave it there. Don't remove it unless you are filming after dark, it should ship with one because the images are not great without the filter.
2) Lower your sharpness setting to -3, your contrast to -2 You can bring all that back in post.
3) Find good transcoder software and convert to ProRes422 BEFORE you start editing anything on the timeline.
4) In post, add a flicker filter (set at medium), reduce your black levels, -15 seems to be about right on most days, then increase sharpness GENTLY.

Images look better tracking horizontally, vertical movement enhances the negative effects of high compression. The higher the altitude, the better things will look with this codec.

I have been producing HD since 1995, seen everything, and really hate how poor the images look with current compression technologies. HD looked spectacular 15 years ago, when things were lightly compressed and a camera cost $100K before the lens. The lens is more important than the imaging chip, and compression can destroy even the best quality equipment. However, there are few choices when reducing the size of the equipment and making it affordable enough for so many people to purchase and enjoy. DJI really makes nice equipment at this price point, so you need to understand the compromises you make with such purchases. Everything in this business is compromise, a balance of quality vs. cost.
What a fantastic helpful response to this issue! Just starting to get into more serious editing and editing software. Do you have to convert back to H264 codec after your done processing video? And what is the flicker filter? Third party plug-in maybe? For noise? I have absolutely been thrilled with the video from my P4! The stills are just ok as I am used to shooting Canon 5D Mk3's for my portrait business. But it's pretty good for a super tiny camera hanging from a 3pd bird I think.

No need to put something together nor produce multiple clips with music, just upload a 20 second sample, ANYTHING. Otherwise you're a suspected troll. Put up or shut up. Then we can diagnose the problem.
What I was thinking about you o_O
@johnw
From a total numpty who has been looking at this forum for knowledge. What the hell! this is just a forum for people with an ego.... attitude.... arent we so special, we bought a dji for loads a money. I have the lowest of the low, a p3 standard, does everything I want it to, no connection problems( try turning off smart peripheral equipment, let the tablet connect). You dont like the video, buy a pro kit. Stop wining sad people, dont care if I am A nube ... new .. oh what the fxxk, I'm fleet manager for an international marine shiping company , I love my small hours messing about with a drone. Get a **** life!
Looks like you need to take your own advice
Both of you need to read the guidelines or just don't post .

I've had my P4 for about a month. I couldn't ask for any better video. I use Premier Pro CC for editing. I do Auto Contrast, Auto Levels and bring the saturation up just a bit in post processing. Taking video on sunny days I've this helps. Good Luck!

Reactions: maseman88
Note the OP hasn't responded in a while, and still hasn't uploaded a video! I call troll......

Make sure to record 4k SD cards . My video came out really sharp and clear. Just bought this and test is clean

Attachments

• 1461979919112.jpg
    1461979919112.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 272

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj