Its Official.......the P4 has made me insane

If I upload 4K video to YouTube & add a single music track with the default editor, the final video will be available in 4K. If I use the YouTube Video Editor, which allows you to add more than a single song, it always limits the final video to 1080.

I thought I had shot in 4K. have to recheck. I know youtube automatically picked 1080p as maximum, I cannot figure it out when and how youtube picks the max quality to show. many of my vids are "only" uploaded as 1080p.
Any ideas?

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Thanks. Someday I will get into serious editing. For now I just toss some tunes on. :p

Dirty Bird, what a masterful video. More compelling than 90 percent of the drone video out there. But you should have left large chunks of it on the editing room floor. For example, the long flight out to the ship could have been sped up or snipped. Ditto for the flight home. (You know, we moderns can't wait for things like plots to develop. ;-)

But the detail of the ship at the 5:20 mark is stunning. Makes me ask WTF Phantom4Man is talking about.

Thanks for sharing.

BHM

Maybe we are talking about a different movie maker... I meant to say I download them from sd card to a pc (windows based) and use the office movie maker.

The icon looks just like this:

latest

Then, just drag and drop and play.

I'm pretty sure the highest video quality Windows movie maker will save in is 1080HD. You can edit a 4k video with Windows movie maker but it will not save the video as 4k when you export it.

Note the OP hasn't responded in a while, and still hasn't uploaded a video! I call troll......

No I am not a troll. We sold the P4 this morning. It just didn't work out. It may have been faulty or it may not have. Regardless the new owner was made aware of the things we noticed and they we still happy to proceed with the purchase.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

We sold the P4 this morning
Are you seriously telling me that you didn't even bother trying to get a replacement P4 and see if that one was better?

After discovering issues with the first P4 camera, I spoke to my rep at the Apple Store. Since I'd only had it for just over a week, he arranged a straight swap for a new one. The differences between the two in terms of sharpness and color saturation, to say nothing of getting rid of the original smudged lens, are dramatic and I am very pleased with the results.

Very Happy pilot here!

I have 3 drones a yuneec 1080 a yuneec 4k and the phantom 4, the phantom out preforms the yuneccs in every way including video, I paid 1049 for the yuneec 4k and 1399 for the phantom 4. 300 dif. the drone flies better, farther, faster, more stable, and better video and more over all benefits. And best of all I've experience no trouble with firmware down loads or service from dji. In fact the service from dji has been better then yuneecs. Any body interested in buy one or both yuneecs there for sale. JMO.

No I am not a troll. We sold the P4 this morning. It just didn't work out. It may have been faulty or it may not have. Regardless the new owner was made aware of the things we noticed and they we still happy to proceed with the purchase.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Must say it's rather odd, any one of us would have done an exchange - suddenly finding a buyer hmmm and no example of the vid materialized - suspicious to me

The problem lies with the H.264 codec, it's great for high compression and internet use, pure crap for editing on a real system. However, that being said, the same problem exists with video shot on GoPros and that footage is used everywhere and accepted by broadcasters. Today you can get away with average quality HD as long as the content is relevant, no one seems to care that it's so highly compressed. Then again, the P4 is a fraction of the cost of the old formula that would consist of renting a helicopter, pilot, and required mounts to shoot broadcast or film quality with. I recall plenty of $8,000 days spent in a Bell Jet Ranger, so the quality of this $1,400 drone is stellar at the price point and ease of use.

Ok to improve the picture quality here are my successful suggestions:
1) Put a ND8 filter on the lens and leave it there. Don't remove it unless you are filming after dark, it should ship with one because the images are not great without the filter.
2) Lower your sharpness setting to -3, your contrast to -2 You can bring all that back in post.
3) Find good transcoder software and convert to ProRes422 BEFORE you start editing anything on the timeline.
4) In post, add a flicker filter (set at medium), reduce your black levels, -15 seems to be about right on most days, then increase sharpness GENTLY.

Images look better tracking horizontally, vertical movement enhances the negative effects of high compression. The higher the altitude, the better things will look with this codec.

I have been producing HD since 1995, seen everything, and really hate how poor the images look with current compression technologies. HD looked spectacular 15 years ago, when things were lightly compressed and a camera cost $100K before the lens. The lens is more important than the imaging chip, and compression can destroy even the best quality equipment. However, there are few choices when reducing the size of the equipment and making it affordable enough for so many people to purchase and enjoy. DJI really makes nice equipment at this price point, so you need to understand the compromises you make with such purchases. Everything in this business is compromise, a balance of quality vs. cost.
You can download GoPro Studio for free and its a great codec to import into FCPX (and maybe even iMovie) with P3 footage, really brings out additional details once uncompressed. Its not optimized for all systems and make sure you have a lot of storage space (4-6 GB/minute of footage)

I have 3 drones a yuneec 1080 a yuneec 4k and the phantom 4, the phantom out preforms the yuneccs in every way including video, I paid 1049 for the yuneec 4k and 1399 for the phantom 4. 300 dif. the drone flies better, farther, faster, more stable, and better video and more over all benefits. And best of all I've experience no trouble with firmware down loads or service from dji. In fact the service from dji has been better then yuneecs. Any body interested in buy one or both yuneecs there for sale. JMO.
Yuneec is best with GoPro 4 Black. No gimbal shake like Zenmuse on P2 platform. I would stay away from Yuneec cameras though as DJis x3 is barely passing.

Dirty Bird, what a masterful video. More compelling than 90 percent of the drone video out there. But you should have left large chunks of it on the editing room floor. For example, the long flight out to the ship could have been sped up or snipped. Ditto for the flight home. (You know, we moderns can't wait for things like plots to develop. ;-)

But the detail of the ship at the 5:20 mark is stunning. Makes me ask WTF Phantom4Man is talking about.

Thanks for sharing.

BHM
I agree with the analysis. My problem now is I speed up all my footage 4-8x and now when I am flying I have to be very concerned about to many incremental yaw adjustments that look jerky after post-processing.

This thread is missing the point IMHO. And the point is that there are enough people that seem to notice that the quality of P4 video is lesser than the P3. Just compare how many threads there are regarding this issue, and how few existed on the P3P within 2 months of its introduction.
This assertion can not be dealt with compression standards, post editing, or optimal camera settings. Nor can it be dealt by sending OP to buy a P3P.

These assertions should also not be dismissed. P4, even more so than any previous Phantoms is intended to be a drone for consumers. It is intended to be the equivalent of a Point and Shoot camera, yet enough people are noticing that it is not. And no, they are not upset it cost $1400. They are upset that technology not only did not advance, it regressed in some respects, compared to the P3P.

I am hoping that DJI will fix the video quality issue. I want a video that will not require color correction 80% of the time. I don't think this is a too far-fetched request to make.
The problem is <start conspiracy theory> that DJI may have needed to differentiate its inspire line from the Phantom line in terms of video quality, and resorted to artificially degrading the P4 quality... <end conspiracy theory>. I sincerely hope I am wrong, and this is a matter that will be fixed with a new firmware update.

This was probably the most useless thread I have ever read. I will never get that 15 mins of my life back. I think the OP owes everyone here an apology for wasting our time.

After stumbling across this thread, I decided to actually take a closer look at the little bit of video I've shot so far with the P4. I just looked at a video I shot at the same location last weekend with my P3P, all camera settings were the same: auto, 4K-30, mp4, d-log, -3,-2,-2 and no filters. These captured partial frames are at full size. The first was shot by my P3P, the second by the P4 (which is closer to the trees in these shots). Compression is really bad on the P4, and obviously even less saturated than the P3 with the same settings. The still photos come out slightly better on the P4 though in RAW format; but then there's no compression used.

After being wishy washy about waiting for a fix to the altitude drop issue, I think I've just made up my mind to return the P4--if it's not too late.
p3.png
p4.png

Well, I have a new P4 and the photos are flat amazing! At first, I had a few videos that, when played back, were jerky but I think that had to do with the available memory I had when trying to play them since, when I tried later they were just fine. Oh, and just so you know, I have never changed any settings and am just shooting as the P-4 came out of the box. Now if I
DJI_0006.jpg
could just figure out how to use POV? Love my P-4!

Lol you guys are focused on the grass and trees. You must live in the fields if you don't have anything other than that to film . How boring

Reactions: KevMo Photog
After stumbling across this thread, I decided to actually take a closer look at the little bit of video I've shot so far with the P4. I just looked at a video I shot at the same location last weekend with my P3P, all camera settings were the same: auto, 4K-30, mp4, d-log, -3,-2,-2 and no filters. These captured partial frames are at full size. The first was shot by my P3P, the second by the P4 (which is closer to the trees in these shots). Compression is really bad on the P4, and obviously even less saturated than the P3 with the same settings. The still photos come out slightly better on the P4 though in RAW format; but then there's no compression used.

After being wishy washy about waiting for a fix to the altitude drop issue, I think I've just made up my mind to return the P4--if it's not too late.
View attachment 52173 View attachment 52174
You def have something wrong with this camera. Or it's the d-log problem not fixed or something like that. But honestly how many times are you going to be shooting bushy trees as the main subject of any shot. This also could just be a bad batch of cameras.. Not very many obviously. This is not right for sure.

This thread is missing the point IMHO. And the point is that there are enough people that seem to notice that the quality of P4 video is lesser than the P3. Just compare how many threads there are regarding this issue, and how few existed on the P3P within 2 months of its introduction.
This assertion can not be dealt with compression standards, post editing, or optimal camera settings. Nor can it be dealt by sending OP to buy a P3P.

These assertions should also not be dismissed. P4, even more so than any previous Phantoms is intended to be a drone for consumers. It is intended to be the equivalent of a Point and Shoot camera, yet enough people are noticing that it is not. And no, they are not upset it cost $1400. They are upset that technology not only did not advance, it regressed in some respects, compared to the P3P.

I am hoping that DJI will fix the video quality issue. I want a video that will not require color correction 80% of the time. I don't think this is a too far-fetched request to make.
The problem is <start conspiracy theory> that DJI may have needed to differentiate its inspire line from the Phantom line in terms of video quality, and resorted to artificially degrading the P4 quality... <end conspiracy theory>. I sincerely hope I am wrong, and this is a matter that will be fixed with a new firmware update.
There are only a few that have been reporting this mushy trees and bushes issue that I have seen. The quality of the video on my P4 has been outstanding for a gopro sized camera dangling from a 3pd quad! Not having this mushy issue at all! It's got to be a very small bad batch of camera's or maybe a problem with the d-log settings that I have also heard about. I set my picture quality to none btw. And then juice that sat and contrast in post. But for the most part I think most have been very happy with the video sharpness and quality from their P4's

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik