It's Official.. Hobby/Recreational Drone/UAS Registration is now BACK!!

I don't know if any liability exclusion on a HO policy that would exclude this. If nothing else, it's 99% sure it would at least provide a defense.
Well I have quite a deal of assets so I need to worry about monetary damages.

The law would not go into effect until fiscal year 2018.
Fiscal year 2018 started Oct 1, 2017 for the US government. To the best of my knowledge, this would mean that as soon as the President signs the NDAA (containing the drone verbiage: (d) Restoration Of Rules For Registration And Marking Of Unmanned Aircraft.—The rules adopted by the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration in the matter of registration and marking requirements for small unmanned aircraft (FAA-2015-7396; published on December 16, 2015) that were vacated by the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in Taylor v. Huerta (No. 15-1495; decided on May 19, 2017) shall be restored to effect on the date of enactment of this Act.

So when is the date of the enactment of this Act, truly?

The NDAA passed through the senate on 9/18/17, prior to the fiscal start. But the President signed it into law after the fiscal year. So I'm still unclear.
Senate Passes $700 Billion 2018 National Defense Authorization Act, Including Procurement Reforms - Lexology

Last edited:
Reactions: SMSgt Tom (ret)
Besides the liability insurance, the AMA has worked hand in glove with multiple federal agencies over the years to procure and protect the rc hobbyist. Including maintaining transmitter and receiver frequencies which had been threatened more than once over the years.

Reactions: BigAl07
Fiscal year 2018 started Oct 1, 2017 for the US government. To the best of my knowledge, this would mean that as soon as the President signs the NDAA (containing the drone verbiage: (d) Restoration Of Rules For Registration And Marking Of Unmanned Aircraft.—The rules adopted by the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration in the matter of registration and marking requirements for small unmanned aircraft (FAA-2015-7396; published on December 16, 2015) that were vacated by the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in Taylor v. Huerta (No. 15-1495; decided on May 19, 2017) shall be restored to effect on the date of enactment of this Act.

So when is the date of the enactment of this Act, truly?

The NDAA passed through the senate on 9/18/17, prior to the fiscal start. But the President signed it into law after the fiscal year. So I'm still unclear.
Senate Passes $700 Billion 2018 National Defense Authorization Act, Including Procurement Reforms - Lexology

It becomes law the moment he puts ink to paper. It's law before the ink actually dries. Now some portions of it might not go into effect until a specified date but undated portions (like UAS registration) are Law right then and there.

Besides the liability insurance, the AMA has worked hand in glove with multiple federal agencies over the years to procure and protect the rc hobbyist. Including maintaining transmitter and receiver frequencies which had been threatened more than once over the years.

^^^ Nailed it!! Many people don't know (some may not care) how much the AMA has helped the RC Industry over the years. Like it or not we are all lumped together (all are aircraft and sUAS/UAS) linked by terms and history. If it weren't for decades of RC pioneers we wouldn't have this amazing technology today that we "affectionately" call "Drones".

AMA sent legal support to our VERY small rural home town about 20 years ago because a woman moved into a home beside our flying field and suddenly experienced psychotic episodes she claimed were brought on by our RC Flying Club. Even though she was over 1/2 mile from the field, in a No-Fly direction she said our planes caused temporary insanity. She couldn't work, go to the store, or anything and wanted our small recreational flying club to pay her for the rest of her life. The attorney visited with us several times and it was determined that this wasn't her first "stunt" like this. She was a fake and out to live off the system. It went to court and after about 4 hours the case was dismissed. Our club didn't have to pay a the AMA attorney a single penny.

I would be curious to see how the AMA Hobby insurance pans out in an incident. If you read the basic RC safety rules I doubt any of us are at a flying field, look at B 3 and AMA Doc 706. The whole community based safety thing in the FAA stuff pretty much points at the AMA with out actually naming them.

Reactions: N017RW
So will previously registered aircraft still be registered?
Yes. This law simply states the following:

"(d) RESTORATION OF RULES FOR REGISTRATION AND MARKING OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT.—The rules adopted by the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration in the matter of registration and marking requirements for small unmanned aircraft (FAA-2015- 7396; published on December 16, 2015) that were vacated by the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in Taylor v. Huerta (No. 15-1495; decided on May 19, 2017) shall be restored to effect on the date of enactment of this Act."

So it simply restores the same registration. This time, it comes from Congress, not the FAA/DOT.
I already have an FAA number. Do we have to re-register?

I would be curious to see how the AMA Hobby insurance pans out in an incident. If you read the basic RC safety rules I doubt any of us are at a flying field, look at B 3 and AMA Doc 706. The whole community based safety thing in the FAA stuff pretty much points at the AMA with out actually naming them.

in the UK there is no requirement to be flying at BMFA field to be covered by their insurance. I'm pretty sure it's the same with the AMA's cover

in the UK there is no requirement to be flying at BMFA field to be covered by their insurance. I'm pretty sure it's the same with the AMA's cover

Well thats the UK, its pretty clear in the AMA Documents, well as clear as Mud lol .. Just as clear as the FAA community safety thing with the FAA .. lol.

My best guess would be, if your flying down town and crash into someones car the AMA is not going to cover you ...

From Dave Mathewson (AMA executive director) found on a forum

'There is no requirement that a member be flying at an AMA chartered club field for AMA's general liability protection to be in place. As long as the member is flying on a site with the permission of the landowner the member is protected.'

I'd say that was pretty clear :)

'There is no requirement that a member be flying at an AMA chartered club field for AMA's general liability protection to be in place. As long as the member is flying on a site with the permission of the landowner the member is protected.'

Yup.

However, I'd still wager the majority of flights performed do not meet that permissive requirement.
Better have it in writing or other correspondence.

Well thats the UK, its pretty clear in the AMA Documents, well as clear as Mud lol .. Just as clear as the FAA community safety thing with the FAA .. lol.

My best guess would be, if your flying down town and crash into someones car the AMA is not going to cover you ...
There was a time when we had to be flying at a AMA flying field but that was a long time ago. Since that time technology changed and components became smaller, lighter, and cheaper so RC aircraft became smaller. This allowed us to fly from parks, parking lots, and lots of places other than just our flying fields. AMA created the Park Flyer classification just for this very reason.

^^^^ Nailed it

Reactions: LuvMyTJ

I am sure that forum post would hold up well lol .. This can be debated to no end .. Additional posts about park flying etc .. I am sure everyone of you has written permission to fly everywhere you go lol ..

All I am saying is don't depend on the AMA Insurance to pay any claims. Its an insurance company and they dont like to pay out claims just like every other insurance company.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj