sUAS Information For New Members

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
This information is current as of 2/2/2017. Always check the resources in the links for the most current information. This is a very general "Quick Start" to help people at least know where to look to research and get started on the right path with sUAS in the United States of America. Other countries may have similar programs and regulations so you'll want to research what your country/region requires.

For “General” sUAS questions start at http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/

Do I need to register my Unmanned Aircraft?
You need to register your aircraft if it weighs between 0.55 lbs. (250 grams) and up to 55 lbs. (25 kg)
weight-applicibility.png

Failure to register an aircraft can result in civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties for failure to register can include fines of up to $250,000 under 18 U.S.C. 3571 and/or imprisonment up to three years.

Here is the direct link to the FAA sUAS Registration website sUAS Registration

Do NOT get fooled by “FAA looking” websites. It only costs $5/ three years. Others charge more but sometimes they include ID cards, labels and more. Be sure to read the fine print. The best way is to follow the official FAA sUAS Registration link listed above.

When you get there you'll have to decide if you're going to register as a hobbyist or commercial operation.
UAS-reg-account-type.png

Hobby registration allows the same FAA reg # to be placed on ALL of your hobby aircraft.

Commercial registration requires a different FAA reg# for each aircraft that is used commercially. Yes you'll have to register and pay $5/three years for each aircraft you wish to operate commercially.

Note 1: Commercially registered aircraft CAN fly recreationally but Hobby registered aircraft can NOT be flown for commercial use. You do NOT put dual registration #'s on a single aircraft. If it's Commercial and Hobby you only put the Commercial registration # on the aircraft.

Note 2: If you fly your aircraft both Commercially and Recreationally (and it must be registered commercially if this is true) you must decide the “type” of flight you will fly prior to take-off and that set of rules/regulations are to be followed for the entire duration of the flight. A single flight can NOT be both hobby and commercial.

If any aspect of your flight and/or the media gathered is intended to further a business in any way (promotion, recognition etc) the flight is commercial and not hobby. No money has to change hands and the “I didn’t charge for the flight I only charged for editing, thumb drive, consulting etc” does not work. You’re either flying for hobby/recreational or you’re flying commercially.

Note: Flying for EMS/Law Enforcement/Search & Rescue is Commercial even though you are donating time and equipment.

Do I need a license to fly my Unmanned Aircraft?
If you want to fly your sUAS in a Commercial capacity you'll have to register it as commercial (details above) and you'll need to take and pass the FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot Knowledge Test and pass TSA vetting. If any aspect of your flight is non-hobby it defaults to Commercial and as such requires you to hold the Part 107 certificate.

Here's a link to Getting Started with Part 107

Keep in mind that some states and local entities can legally require you to have additional permits/training above and beyond what the FAA requires. Check your state for this. In the state of NC you need to check out: NCDOT: Operating Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) in North Carolina

Thanks, I suspect that what the US does today, the UK does to morrow.
Personally I have no problem with a bit more control in the UK, registration seems a very minor intrusion, and I would have no problem with some limited form of license.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20