It's Official.. Hobby/Recreational Drone/UAS Registration is now BACK!!

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Last edited:
No mention of dates, just if your aircraft weights X amount you must register or you'll be subject or civil and criminal penalties. Not sure if this statement is new or old for that site.

sUAS Registration

The FAA never changed their language re registration so you can't check that site to know when it becomes active.

So will previously registered aircraft still be registered?

I guess we'll have to wait for the final word to see. It seems the only change they are making is the requirement to register.

Yes. This law simply states the following:

"(d) RESTORATION OF RULES FOR REGISTRATION AND MARKING OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT.—The rules adopted by the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration in the matter of registration and marking requirements for small unmanned aircraft (FAA-2015- 7396; published on December 16, 2015) that were vacated by the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in Taylor v. Huerta (No. 15-1495; decided on May 19, 2017) shall be restored to effect on the date of enactment of this Act."

So it simply restores the same registration. This time, it comes from Congress, not the FAA/DOT.

Reactions: sar104 and N017RW
Yea, seems like a money-grab attempt by the AMA.
Full disclosure- I was a member for 2 decades.

Reactions: Apilot101
Yea, seems like a money-grab attempt by the AMA.
Full disclosure- I was a member for 2 decades.
I don't think they are doing anything other then mentioning the issue. I didn't see anything that said don't register FAA and only with us. For the record I am a member for one reason and one reason only. For my membership fee I get 2 million dollars in Liability insurance that I couldn't find anywhere else I went. As a business owner I have a ton of insurance of all types including blanket policy's and NONE would cover liability if I hurt someone with my drone. AMA does for $75 a year. One of my insurance agents was the person to mention this to me. Everyone worries about their drone insurance but no one thinks what if it falls from the sky and injures or kills someone? You have extreme exposure liability wise. If you own anything and want to keep it I suggest you get liability coverage for flying the drone.

Reactions: alokbhargava

I am a big fan or AMA and a fan of AMA membership. But these questions and answers are geared for AMA members, not the general recreational drone-flying public.

Ex)

Q: Do I need to list both my AMA number and my federal registration number on my aircraft?

A: Yes, you need to list both your AMA number and Federal registration number on your aircraft. We are advocating to allow members to use their AMA numbers. We believe an AMA membership already meets the intent of registration, but at this time place both numbers on your aircraft.

I think the word "need" is a bit of a stretch.

Q: Am I permitted to fly first person view (FPV)? Can I fly at night?

A: Yes. AMA members are still protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, which is part of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. As long as AMA members continue to follow AMA's safety guidelines for these activities, they can continue to fly. The guidelines listed on the FAA UAS website do not negate the modeling activities and related safety procedures established in AMA's community-based safety program.

Yeah - AMA members are protected as well as everybody else.

...etc

I have to agree with #17 above...

Last edited:
I don't think they are doing anything other then mentioning the issue. I didn't see anything that said don't register FAA and only with us. For the record I am a member for one reason and one reason only. For my membership fee I get 2 million dollars in Liability insurance that I couldn't find anywhere else I went. As a business owner I have a ton of insurance of all types including blanket policy's and NONE would cover liability if I hurt someone with my drone. AMA does for $75 a year. One of my insurance agents was the person to mention this to me. Everyone worries about their drone insurance but no one thinks what if it falls from the sky and injures or kills someone? You have extreme exposure liability wise. If you own anything and want to keep it I suggest you get liability coverage for flying the drone.

My understanding is it’s secondary to your existing HO, Renters, Health, Auto, etc. insurance.
And of course you must not be in violation of any of their safety guidelines.

My understanding is it’s secondary to your existing HO, Renters, Health, Auto, etc. insurance.
And of course you must not be in violation of any of their safety guidelines.
Well as I mentioned, I have home owners, blanket, health and auto and none cover a drone hurting someone.

Reactions: alokbhargava
For the record I am a member for one reason and one reason only. For my membership fee I get 2 million dollars in Liability insurance that I couldn't find anywhere else I went. As a business owner I have a ton of insurance of all types including blanket policy's and NONE would cover liability if I hurt someone with my drone. AMA does for $75 a year.
WOW! That's interesting information and if correct, well worth the $75. Are you sure you'd be covered for liability when flying commercially? That is a better deal than Verify. I'll have to check it out.

WOW! That's interesting information and if correct, well worth the $75. Are you sure you'd be covered for liability when flying commercially? That is a better deal than Verify. I'll have to check it out.

AMA blanket liability insurance only covers recreational flying, but they do now offer commercial insurance - at a cost.

AMA Commercial Insurance

AMA blanket liability insurance only covers recreational flying, but they do now offer commercial insurance - at a cost.

AMA Commercial Insurance
Yea. Just checked it out. Thanks The policy does NOT cover business pursuits; that is any activity that generates income for a member beyond reimbursement of expenses, except this business pursuit exclusion does not apply to individual members providing modeling instructions for pay to AMA members. http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/InsuranceSummaryMembers.pdf

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik