It went down and I couldn't stop it.

t looks like you are going to be in the center of the storm.
Late tonight through tomorrow we have tropical storm warnings but I am no where near Panama City, but know the Gulf Area well. I am approx 60 miles ENE of Atlanta, 8 miles South of Athens.

Can't he send this log to DJI and request a new drone? Seems like a malfunction and not pilot error.

Reactions: With The Birds
I know it's off topic, but the eye of the hurricane is over my in law's house. Maybe instead of me seeing them next week, they can come to my place. The hotel, I have a reservation for, I'll give to my wife family if they need it? Not much hope for their place. WOW!

I confess I too thought this worked as Fly Dawg outlined, but my respect for your experience Mike has got me too scratching my head now. I firmly believed (though I guess never pushed to experience in person) that the AC would commence autoland upon reaching the critical battery level I set in the app (which I have set at 10% like most folk I think), not land based on a calculated critical battery level. Delighted to be educated if this is true, but want to test and verify too (mostly because I thought I knew this). Thanks!
I haven’t tested on my 4”s but I did a test early in with the P3 and the autoland hits when the depicted battery % drops to the critical level set... I used 25% as my test point and it was a brand new battery. Like many I spent the first few days of flying testing the settings and AC behaviour. It was about then I determined critical level is a useless adjustment, set it to the lowest value available. Why anyone might set it higher is beyond me.

Reactions: Loz
Mr Rootman I am seriously hoping DJI does something for you here. It won’t be the same around here if you desert us to go play with terrestrial camera gear.

Reactions: Loz
Here is a clip from the area where my P4 crashed. No editing. Just spliced a few pieces together to show what it looked like there. It was taken off the I Pad so the quality is bad.

Last edited:
A note to all, battery warnings are great but battery failsafe RTH is just stupid and should be eliminated.

DJI got back with me. I just passed my year, so there is nothing they can do. Alec (DJI) said,"

Alec
(Support)
10月13日 CST08:30
Hello John,

Good day!
As I've checked the serial number you've provided, I could see that your drone is out of warranty.

We understand the frustration of not being able to create a fly-away case due to the fact that you are out of warranty already.

We appreciate your understanding.

( last e mail )
I know how frustrating and sad this would be. If this happens to me, I'll feel the same way.

We currently work hand in hand so we can provide you best resolution."

I bought a new battery and I still had the same problem with this P4. 8 days before the crash landing I had a shipping label from DJI knowing something was wrong with this drone. I cleaned the contacts and thought that solved the problem with this replacement P4 they sent me. I didn't want to ship it if I had solved the problem, also didn't want to miss the fall photo opportunities. Many test flights all was well. I'm the dumb one that let emotions get the best of me. " Finito"

Critical battery is related ultimately to voltage. If the voltage drops to something like 13.25 volts, it will land. Cold batteries can do this although appears not to be a factor in this present instance. But I notice from the voltage chart that the battery had reached 13.25 volts. I had my P3 Pro land unexpectedly a couple of times because the battery wasn't warmed enough for sustained flight. Now I check battery temp while hovering a few feed off the ground and also watch voltage. Below battery temp of 25 C a P3 won't sustain flight, but I can fly at -10 C provided the battery is above 25 C at takeoff.

HOW TO: Monitor battery voltage to watch for signs of failure

"Flying with a battery that has one or more bad cells could cause the battery to discharge very quickly and/or your Phantom to shut off mid-flight and drop from the sky."

"The important thing to remember is to monitor the battery a few times during the flight -- set up one of the switches on the bottom of the controller to bring up that screen so you can look at the cell status a couple of times during the flight"

The battery screen shows the voltage of each CELL in the pack; it takes only one cell to become critical to land the drone with plenty of percentage left.

Critical battery is related ultimately to voltage. If the voltage drops to something like 13.25 volts, it will land. Cold batteries can do this although appears not to be a factor in this present instance. But I notice from the voltage chart that the battery had reached 13.25 volts. I had my P3 Pro land unexpectedly a couple of times because the battery wasn't warmed enough for sustained flight. Now I check battery temp while hovering a few feed off the ground and also watch voltage. Below battery temp of 25 C a P3 won't sustain flight, but I can fly at -10 C provided the battery is above 25 C at takeoff.

HOW TO: Monitor battery voltage to watch for signs of failure

"Flying with a battery that has one or more bad cells could cause the battery to discharge very quickly and/or your Phantom to shut off mid-flight and drop from the sky."

"The important thing to remember is to monitor the battery a few times during the flight -- set up one of the switches on the bottom of the controller to bring up that screen so you can look at the cell status a couple of times during the flight"

The battery screen shows the voltage of each CELL in the pack; it takes only one cell to become critical to land the drone with plenty of percentage left.
It ok. It was a new battery and it did it on the other battery also. Thought the problem was fixed. Had about 6 flights with no problems. It was the P4 DJI sent me as a replacement. They won’t do anything. It’s over.

It ok. It was a new battery and it did it on the other battery also. Thought the problem was fixed. Had about 6 flights with no problems. It was the P4 DJI sent me as a replacement. They won’t do anything. It’s over.
It might not be over. I’m not familiar with how the consumer law regulators operate in your jurisdiction but they are extra good in Australia. The manufacturer stipulated warranty term can, and often will be, disregarded in consideration of your consumer rights. It all comes down to what an average consumer might reasonably expect in the circumstances having regard to numerous factors including the price of the item and whether the failure might be argued to directly relate to a manufacturing, component or software issue. I have had items replaced/repaired well outside the manufacturer stated warranty period.

I would argue it was the new battery that caused your loss. The time taken to make a few calls and perhaps state your case in writing maybe well worth the effort.

While it seems they are relying on the time period for warranty as it related to the purchase of the original AC the replacement isn’t 12 months old. It was arguably defective. Give them some curry- I would.

It might not be over. I’m not familiar with how the consumer law regulators operate in your jurisdiction but they are extra good in Australia. The manufacturer stipulated warranty term can, and often will be, disregarded in consideration of your consumer rights. It all comes down to what an average consumer might reasonably expect in the circumstances having regard to numerous factors including the price of the item and whether the failure might be argued to directly relate to a manufacturing, component or software issue. I have had items replaced/repaired well outside the manufacturer stated warranty period.

I would argue it was the new battery that caused your loss. The time taken to make a few calls and perhaps state your case in writing maybe well worth the effort.

While it seems they are relying on the time period for warranty as it related to the purchase of the original AC the replacement isn’t 12 months old. It was arguably defective. Give them some curry- I would.
Good point. Wish I could produce the P4.

Looking at your video it doesn’t seem like too monumental a walk in from the other side of the gully. What is the building across the other side. I’m sure the people in there would know their way down and there are probably some fairly well established tracks?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrislaf
I only have one niece and she is a frail thing that wouldn't get her hands dirty. That place is dangerous area to venture, unless you like climbing cliffs and rattlesnakes. I like rattlesnakes, they taste good. I can't do cliffs anymore is an understatement.
I wanted to post a $100 US reward, but my wife was against it figuring it would be a broken piece of junk.
It is said to be an easy well maintained track down to where you depicted the crash site as being, maybe 1/2 mile max. Even has a bridge across to the other side of the falls. I would call the people at Blackwater falls lodge and ask if you could offer a reward to them or perhaps extend that offer to one of their guests to grab it for you. The trail starts at their property so I am sure it would be easy to organise.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4