Is there really a yellow light? Maybe I'm color blinded

Reaction score
So I've never seen a yellow light on mine only green, and red. When I do the compass calibration it's red, or when I fly it in attitude mode it flashes red. When I fly it in gps mode it's fine because it flashes green then when the battery is low it go's red, but in attitude mode I've been setting a timer because it seems like the light is always red and never changes when the battery is low.

Wow, that's a new one. The led is two-element, red and green, and they both light up to make yellow. So if you see red and green, it is likely working. But I think the easiest thing would be to post up a short video of your LEDs flashing so we can all see what you are seeing!

I feel the exact same way. There is definitely a yellow light (but I would say it is orange more than yellow) and it becomes almost impossible to distinguish in flight. Drives me crazy. I ordered this volage checker w/alarm to help me feel more confident in the voltage warnings. When flying in ATTI mode, I absolutely cannot see the difference between yellow ATTI blinks and voltage warning red blinks.

Edit: I really wish they would utilize three LEDs for the indicator instead of two. The combined red and green LED to create yellow sucks. A third LED would allow people to put in a color they are less color deficient with. I would prefer a blue/red/green setup opposed to a red/yellow/green. I am tempted to swap out the green with a blue to see how a red/magenta/blue setup looks like. I am mildly color deficient.

I've seen a few phantom led modules in my day, and some are definitely more orange than yellow. The v2 led in particular seems to be the case. The p2 has the most clear lemon-yellow of the bunch.

I posted an led mod a little while back that could be used for colorblind applications; it's a bit involved but it lets you add as many LEDs as you want, change the status flashing color to anything you like, and adjust the brightness, duration or any patterns for orientation. Didn't seem to get much attention but for the DIY-inclined it may help a bit?:

http://youtu.be/u6qZcMoqMzY

ElGuano said:
I've seen a few phantom led modules in my day, and some are definitely more orange than yellow. The v2 led in particular seems to be the case. The p2 has the most clear lemon-yellow of the bunch.

I posted an led mod a little while back that could be used for colorblind applications; it's a bit involved but it lets you add as many LEDs as you want, change the status flashing color to anything you like, and adjust the brightness, duration or any patterns for orientation. Didn't seem to get much attention but for the DIY-inclined it may help a bit?:

It got my attention...I seent the whole thing! I was even able to enjoy the video for a bit til the seizures kicked in. :shock:

CarlJ said:
ElGuano said:

It got my attention...I seent the whole thing! I was even able to enjoy the video for a bit til the seizures kicked in. :shock:
Sorry, yeah full intensity close focus is not good for a video :(. When it's outdoors in bright sunlight you do want it as bright as possible though!

Which colors you see here:

Attachments

• RYG.jpg
    RYG.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 471
Stop - Caution - Go :lol:

AnselA said:

Haha, If only the LEDs in my FC40 were that distinct. It is more like this. Squint your eyes or walk 30m away from your screen. Not very distinct.

SusldZX.jpg

You know what, I think I was being generous with that orange. I just closely watched the start up sequence and there is no color shift between yellow and red. I don't think the green LED is lighting up at all during "yellow" blinks. When it gets dark I will record video. There is no difference in color.

I just stared at mine again and maybe there is a slight difference maybe. So I asked my wife and she says it looks orange red to her defiantly not a yellow. But she did say it was different then the red light so I guess that's the way it is.

Is there a mod to make the lights on the arms change when the battery is low? That would be easy to see if just the red or the green went out.

Beckman said:
I just stared at mine again and maybe there is a slight difference maybe. So I asked my wife and she says it looks orange red to her defiantly not a yellow. But she did say it was different then the red light so I guess that's the way it is.

Is there a mod to make the lights on the arms change when the battery is low? That would be easy to see if just the red or the green went out.

There is a mod, but not what I'd call an easy one. The YT link I posted has other videos including a phantom led mod that makes the arm LEDs blazing bright and Naza-sensitive.

gutterboy44 said:
AnselA said:

Haha, If only the LEDs in my FC40 were that distinct. It is more like this. Squint your eyes or walk 30m away from your screen. Not very distinct.

SusldZX.jpg

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    5.7 KB · Views: 378
A significant number of people, most of them men, have some degree of red-green color blindness. I'm one of them. And, I too have difficulty telling the difference in the colors of the LEDs. On the ground, I have found that it helps to sit the 'copter on a white surface or cup my hand under the 'copter to see the reflection. Of course, that doesn't work in the air.

-- Roger

I just did a shell replacement and board upgrade (Phantom Upgrade Kit for Zenmuse H3-2D). Now the LED shows green, light red, and red. I am thinking about switching back to my old LED board is that possible??

dcoski said:
I just did a shell replacement and board upgrade (Phantom Upgrade Kit for Zenmuse H3-2D). Now the LED shows green, light red, and red. I am thinking about switching back to my old LED board is that possible??

Yes, the reason the upgrade board comes with a new LED module is because the cable is a bit longer. If you can get your old LED to fit (or you extend the wires a little bit, it's fine to use the original one.

ElGuano said:
dcoski said:

Yes, the reason the upgrade board comes with a new LED module is because the cable is a bit longer. If you can get your old LED to fit (or you extend the wires a little bit, it's fine to use the original one.

You are right the LED cable is about 1/2 inch longer. I doubt that I could make it work without adding a extension of some kind. But I did discover that I did not get the lens seated in the shell completely, so I'm thinking that not enough green was coming out of lens in the right place. I now have a good green, yellow, and red light. I consider it fixed.

dcoski said:
ElGuano said:
dcoski said:

You are right the LED cable is about 1/2 inch longer. I doubt that I could make it work without adding a extension of some kind. But I did discover that I did not get the lens seated in the shell completely, so I'm thinking that not enough green was coming out of lens in the right place. I now have a good green, yellow, and red light. I consider it fixed.
huh, didn't know you could set it up in a way that hid a fraction of a mm like that! Glad you got it working.

huh, didn't know you could set it up in a way that hid a fraction of a mm like that! Glad you got it working.

Ya, it's a little on the orange side of yellow, but it is better than it was last evening. Most of my flying is in ATTI mode and I could see that red blinker was going to mess me up. I really didn't I have the lens cocked more than 1/8 of a inch, but it was enough to appear on the light side of red to me. Thank you for explaining about the two LED's one red and the other green.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl