Is there a way to show the phantoms altitude above ground level?

Reaction score
Is there any way to show the altitude above current ground level instead of takeoff point? Or is there a way to show altitude above sea level?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

No. The Phantom is not able to calculate either of those.

No.

No. This is a skillset that must be learned through practice. It's a good game to play by looking through the display without looking at the AGL telemetry from launch point, and while over land that's at the same level as the launch point, guess how high you are, then look at the telemetry. After about 100 guesses over weeks of practice you'll get fairly good at it. It's not easy, but over time you can usually learn to guess within 50' accuracy. Depending on where your flying, using houses, cars, and trees and other objects to "cheat" with can help with the estimating , it's a skill set that can benefit you while flying in the mountains as you strive to say below 400' AGL. Going off cliffs and lowering yourself down into a valley is an example. It's a bit scary but with practice it's viable to maintain a reasonable elevation AGL while being safe from collision.

I do see this ability coming down the pipe someday. Although vertical ASL elevations aren't as accurate as horizontal locating by using GPS, it could provide a reasonable range of safety information that would be useful to pilots. Consumer GPS receivers give about +/-23meters (75ft) vertical accuracy with a 95% confidence. With a master elevation database of country (like Goggle has in their possession) for ASL elevations, the delta of the drone ASL elevation and the Google database could provide a rough estimate of your AGL elevation, where you're flying within about 75' accuracy. You'd certainly need an cellular connection to the Internet to use the database, but this seems like a viable and useful feature. I think we'll see this in the next couple years. That's my Karnack the Magnificent prediction. Maybe P4 will have it :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Reed L

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj