Is there a way to pop this back down?

Now I've seen it all.
I would not trust that motor. Even IF you push it back together. If the clip is still in place then the shaft must be coming out of the top. The shaft has a finite length. It can't get longer. So you have a very unusual situation.

Replace motor or send it in for warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobmyers
That looks like the motor hub has slipped up on the shaft. See if you can press it back down by supporting the shaft at the locking ring -- place a deep socket over the top and gently tap and see if it will move down. I am looking at my motor which is the old design and it has a shoulder on the shaft to keep that from happening. It looks like the new motors do not have that shoulder from what I can see and that shaft is probably just pressed in.

Reactions: Robertk182
That looks like the motor hub has slipped up on the shaft. See if you can press it back down by supporting the shaft at the locking ring -- place a deep socket over the top and gently tap and see if it will move down. I am looking at my motor which is the old design and it has a shoulder on the shaft to keep that from happening. It looks like the new motors do not have that shoulder from what I can see and that shaft is probably just pressed in.
I tried it, it popped back down. Put it back together, seems to be working normal with out the props on. I do hear a slight humming rythem but that is coming from inside the machine. Not sure if that was like that before or not.

I tried it, it popped back down. Put it back together, seems to be working normal with out the props on. I do hear a slight humming rythem but that is coming from inside the machine. Not sure if that was like that before or not.
Put the props on -- clamp it down to a table-- start the motors and do some bench testing to make sure it stays-- it should since the pull is on the shaft thru the motor base-- you may be good to go.

Put the props on -- clamp it down to a table-- start the motors and do some bench testing to make sure it stays-- it should since the pull is on the shaft thru the motor base-- you may be good to go.
Thank you! I'll have to get some clamps, I'm currently out of town but thanks for all your help!

Reactions: bobmyers
View attachment 36514 Couldn't take the shell off now don't have the right tools but I took the screws out of the motor and pulled it out a bit more for a closer look. That's what's going on.
WOW.. Never seen that either.
BTW, you know you didn't need to remove the top cover to have a look at the motors. Just unscrew the 4 motor mount screws and the motor should just come out.

WOW.. Never seen that either.
BTW, you know you didn't need to remove the top cover to have a look at the motors. Just unscrew the 4 motor mount screws and the motor should just come out.
Right. I did that first but didn't seem like enough slack in the wire to pull it all the way out. If I knew that's all I had to do I wouldn't have gone through the nervous hands of taking the shell off. It actually wasn't that bad and I'm happy I did it myself to really fully understand the unit from the inside out in case anything else happens. Hopefully the motor won't fail or something in the future.

Right. I did that first but didn't seem like enough slack in the wire to pull it all the way out. If I knew that's all I had to do I wouldn't have gone through the nervous hands of taking the shell off. It actually wasn't that bad and I'm happy I did it myself to really fully understand the unit from the inside out in case anything else happens. Hopefully the motor won't fail or something in the future.

Robert,
If that should happen again while you're in the air, well....there's got to be a reason that came apart like that.
When you remove a pressed in part, you remove metal from the softer of the two metals. That means you're not going to have as tight a fit.

It could last forever, it's impossible to determine....but as that motor gets hot, maybe on a hot day one day, just enough looseness could happen to allow that shaft to slip back out....and there goes the prop.....personally, I wouldn't take that chance.

But I do wish you the best and if you keep that motor, I hope it never gives you any more trouble.

Im not sure if your motor has one or not but all the other dji motors have a tiny 1.6mm hex set screw on the side of the top shaft just below the threads that the props screw on to. That is used to hold the shaft in place. If you have the set screw on yours make sure to tighten it back down after the shaft is pushed back in.

One thing you dont want is the top of the motors bell to lift off the shaft and fly off along with the prop. That would = a very very bad flying day

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl