Is registration of a sUAS still required by FAA for commercial operations?

Reaction score
The federal court issued a final order today (7/3/17) that hobbyists no longer need to register their drones; however, I'm assuming this DOES NOT apply to those of us who fly them commercially (holding a remote pilots license)...is this correct?

Correct. Hobbyist is a different class of operation separate from Commercial.

Reactions: nightpirate
Would this mean we no longer are required to have a registration number/info on the drone? Referring to hobbyist in particular.

Well if Hobbyist registration is not required then there's no number or related requirement either.

Edit: mine will stay however.

Reactions: BigAl07
Well if Hobbyist registration is not required then there's no number or related requirement either.

Edit: mine will stay however.
As will mine. It appears that there will be very little traceability back to the operator if/when an "incident" occurs, for those that choose not to label their AC. This registration, like it or not, added some culpability for an operator to be responsible for their actions, imo. Not that I'll be missing sending in the fee. ;)

That court ruling only applies to hobbyists. For now, they do not need o register but that could change at any time. Flying under Part 107 you will still need to register. But if you are flying as a hobbyis you must be flying under the safety rules of a Community Based Organization (CBO). What CBO afet Rules are you using? AMA?

I have been an AMA member for 17 years. But to be honest, I don't know all of their safety rules - particularly when it comes to drones. I just passed the Remote Pilot Test and will be using those rules even when I fly as a hobbyist.

Last edited:
That court ruling only applies to hobbyists. For now, they do not need o register but that could change at any time. Flying under Part 107 you will still need to register. But if you are flying as a hobbyis you must be flying under the safety rules of a Community Based Organization (CBO). What CBO afet Rules are you using? AMA?

I have been an AMA member for 17 years. But to be honest, I don't know all of their safety rules - particularly when it comes to drones. I just passed the Remote Pilot Test and will be using those rules even when I fly as a hobbyist.

Following Part 107 rules when flying as a hobbyist is mostly a fine idea, and should cause no problems in relation to CBO guidelines. However, there are still differences in requirements between 14 CFR Parts 101 and 107. In particular, under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft there is the requirement to notify any airport within 5 miles, but under Part 107 that is not necessary.

Reactions: BigAl07
That is correct. Many smaller airports that have overlying Class E airspace have a floor of 700 ft AGL do not require notification under Part 107 but the Hobbyist is supposed to provide notification.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl