Is LightBridge Actually 720p?

Reaction score
720p is what lightbridge is suppose to be right? The picture quality I see on my ipad screen is no where near the quality I get on my 720p tv watching a high def channel... Can anyone explain the difference to me?

720p is only achieved when the bird is about 10 ft away. The video compression seems to take it well below that quality when you get any distance away.

720p is what lightbridge is suppose to be right? The picture quality I see on my ipad screen is no where near the quality I get on my 720p tv watching a high def channel... Can anyone explain the difference to me?

720p is 1280x720 resolution. it doesn't mean that you will get all of the detail at that resolution. That is highly dependent on the environment you are flying in and the quality of signal you are getting from the Phantom to your controller. The bitrate or quality of the image dynamically reduces to quality of the image as signal quality degrades though it's still technically 720p resolution setting. Try flying in an area like a large park with little RF interference and see how your live feed looks then. Also make sure you have your antennas oriented properly and flying in clean line of sight without any obstructions between you and the Phantom which can block the signal and with that the signal strength.

There are a lot of posts about the video feed to devices being more choppy and of poorer quality after recent firmware updates. I hope this is the main issue and that it improves with future updates. I get pretty poor quality video while flying on my iPad Air and sony z3v

Reactions: ScottyT
For me it is hit and miss, at some locations I get a great feed, others not so much. I realized from the start that the feed will be dependent on conditions and location, it is still miles ahead of the crappy feed from my P2.

There are pilots flying P2s and P3s over a mile without distortion or degradation of signal. I'm not savvy to the technology, but there are "boosters" (?) out there that can be attached to increase the strength of the signal even for pilots like me who fly routinely in the forest.

For me it is hit and miss, at some locations I get a great feed, others not so much. I realized from the start that the feed will be dependent on conditions and location, it is still miles ahead of the crappy feed from my P2.

Likewise, it's about 50/50 on various locations. I know heat is a factor too on the tablet especially for iPad mini. I don't have a tablet shade yet, but anytime I flew it in the field and with temps being high 80s to low 90s, video started to degrade quickly.

Likewise, it's about 50/50 on various locations. I know heat is a factor too on the tablet especially for iPad mini. I don't have a tablet shade yet, but anytime I flew it in the field and with temps being high 80s to low 90s, video started to degrade quickly.
I try to stay under a tree if possible, but my Air 2 is much better than the Mini 2 I started with (plus I got the cell model) I gave away the mini shade to a forum member as I didn't need it. Seems the video on the iPad Air (no hardware acceleration) is better than the Mini, maybe wishful thinking.

720p is 1280x720 resolution. it doesn't mean that you will get all of the detail at that resolution. That is highly dependent on the environment you are flying in and the quality of signal you are getting from the Phantom to your controller. The bitrate or quality of the image dynamically reduces to quality of the image as signal quality degrades though it's still technically 720p resolution setting. Try flying in an area like a large park with little RF interference and see how your live feed looks then. Also make sure you have your antennas oriented properly and flying in clean line of sight without any obstructions between you and the Phantom which can block the signal and with that the signal strength.

Yeah this. Like people who think that they can stream proper 1080P on their crummy 4Mb/s connection. Or those who think that YouTube will show proper 4K.

I didnt understand how light bridge works.... I kinda understand better now.... Right from day 1 I kinda expected better from an advertised 720p connection... Im not knocking it.... I love my P3!!!

Compared to our old P2s that sweet *** Lightbridge is a godsend. I don't care what they brand it as ... 720p, whatever bitrate, compression, or w/e it looks great hands down. Especially considering the distance at which you can fly and still have an awesome video down link.

QUOTE="ems1016, post: 439556, member: 18170"]There are pilots flying P2s and P3s over a mile without distortion or degradation of signal. I'm not savvy to the technology, but there are "boosters" (?) out there that can be attached to increase the strength of the signal even for pilots like me who fly routinely in the forest.[/QUOTE]

Yes the radio can be modded to accept screw on antennas. And iif you want you can use a Sunhans WiFi signals amplifier. Either their 1watt MIMO amp or a pair of their 2.5 or 3 watt amps. If using an amp you will also need a pair of 6dbi attenuators to keep a clean signal going into the amp from the rc

At the price you paid for your P3, getting a wireless HD signal from a moving platform is nothing short of amazing. And even with pixelation from interference, you're getting 3 to 4x more visual information than anyone got over a standard definition analog feed on the P2 just a year ago.

Reactions: kyba274
125 flights 13hrs in the air. I haven't had a video quality issue. It looks amazing. I use a iPad Air 2. Flew for over 2 hrs last night in the dark using just my screen no issues on quality.

If you had a prior phantom you would not be complaining. The light bridge link is 10000x better.

And as for quality dropping away at distance. That's total crap. Even at 10k ft out I'm seeing the same quality as I see on the ground before I launch.

Reactions: Pumpfixer

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31