is DJI really giving more features to cheaper drones?

Keep in mind that when you do install third party apps on a device , there is a greater chance of the software crashing. I keep telling Plus users , I have not had a single software crash as of yet, and that is why that is great.
I also can be up and flying with in minutes , as you do not have to worry about the phone being charged or the cords , the only real let down is not being able to program a flight, But the other rewards are far greater in many ways.
Seriously who is having more fun, the guy that is talking on the phone flying his drone , or the guy who has his phone tied up.. Thank you SIRI

I used a PH4 with my ipad Pro 9.7 for more than a year and three months ago I have the +, and my concept is that there are many disadvantages and limitations of the PH4 + when it can not install third-party applications.

Think its really stupid that they dont give the same options to them who pay more. Next time i will by second hand and not new and limited drone.

Reactions: Guillermo Mendivil
This is no different than many tech companies. For my photo business, Canon consistently puts out newer features in consumer cameras prior to introducing them into their professional line. Most of the reason for that is timing of the releases. If the P4P and Mavic Air were not release more than a year a part, I'd think they would both have similar features at shipping time. IMHO, there is a lot more to be gained by a higherend model typically than the latest and greatest feature that may or may not be added to a newer lower line. As far as "Paying more"...You're paying more for the monitor...that's it. (P4P v P4P+). The limitations for sideloading 3rd party apps was known well before that purchase decision was made.

Reactions: bad karma
You can also do image stitching with Photoshop and Lightroom and other regular digital editors. It only gets complicated when you want to do multiple rows or are very close to your subject where there can be a noticeable nodal point shift between adjoining images.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
So keep in mind that your Phantom 4 Pro is still top dog in many ways. The camera is better and thus you can make some great amazing Pano shots without all the nonsense of being automated. Automated is for the newbies. Those that do not know how to push more than one button, and if you have the Phantom Pro that is because you wanted the best you could get for your money and you have it.

You have a drone that has been given a lot of TLC we loved it so much we created the Phantomrain Wet Suit so we could fly the Phantom iin extreme weather conditions without worry..

So I have my own way of doing Panos but this guy shows you a great way of doing it and the results are going to be much better than you can get with the Pano automated mode, maybe not as fast but not bad.

It will also teach you so much about the camera and let you detail it in.

The only real loss is the mode that you can use in Litch to fly in a set pattern, we all miss that ability but are better pilots by working around it. None the less would be nice to have.

ohh here is the link : You can use any software that has a photo merge and I guarantee you the results will be equal if not much better than what those other drones are going to get..

Approved vendor
Phantomrain.org

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sorry for digging up an old post. I was just able to get back on Phantom Pilots. But, I understand automated is for newbies. The thing about automated for things like Pano or Small World effect. Automated takes precise measurements where its almost impossible to get exact measurements manually. Whether diameter, altitude, gimbal tilt angle. Same thing when flying in a straight line. Its not impossible but its very hard considering wind factors and speed. These types of little features being added to the DJI Go app have been very helpful. From waypoints, point of interest, tripod mode, and tracking. I use these all the time as it makes life a lot easier for me. The fact that they added some of these features found on the Mavic Air and Spark. Its simply dumbfounding why they wouldn't have it for the Phantom 4 Pro other than a marketing deploy to sell more Sparks and Mavic Airs. As you move up in tiers and pay more money, these features and others should be available without question. I can understand if they do add some features that other drones have. But, to have these features on a lower end model and not on a higher end model, it amazes me.

This is no different than many tech companies. For my photo business, Canon consistently puts out newer features in consumer cameras prior to introducing them into their professional line. Most of the reason for that is timing of the releases. If the P4P and Mavic Air were not release more than a year a part, I'd think they would both have similar features at shipping time. IMHO, there is a lot more to be gained by a higherend model typically than the latest and greatest feature that may or may not be added to a newer lower line. As far as "Paying more"...You're paying more for the monitor...that's it. (P4P v P4P+). The limitations for sideloading 3rd party apps was known well before that purchase decision was made.

This would be true if it was a hardware and not a firmware issue. DJI has added intelligent modes in later firmwares that they promised in release. A simple firmware update to add pano or small world intelligent modes is all it needs to fly. The information that the Phantom 4 Pro collects while in the air is sufficient to have these modes, easily.

and lastly, the mentions of pano in this post are great and all. But, panoramic shots are very basic and easily done, correct. These features have been around for more than a year now. Its the small world effect that is not easy at all. Which is why this post is fairly new as I was disturbed when I found out the Mavic Air will have such features.

and lastly, the mentions of pano in this post are great and all. But, panoramic shots are very basic and easily done, correct. These features have been around for more than a year now. Its the small world effect that is not easy at all. Which is why this post is fairly new as I was disturbed when I found out the Mavic Air will have such features.
The tiny planet effect takes a little effort however no special skill. The images can be easily acquired automatically with DronePan, simply fly AC into position and press the button. PTGui and other programs will perform the stitching. The result will be better than the DJI implementation.

I agree with pano being missing on the p4a. I can take the pano alone. I learned without using special software. Most should. That’s the issue today with drones. No one is learning how to do things on their own. I remember crashing my way to being good. Not today. Just put it up and push a button.

Thank God I think the small world effect is almost as bad as "selective color" in traditional photography. Not missing that gimmick one bit. But that's just my opinion.

Digital camera manufacturers put more aids for the novice photographer in their lower end cameras. You get a portrait or a sunset or a macro mode with a point and shoot or low end DSLR but with the higher end cameras these automated setting are not provided as a rule. I have seen many posts where a novice photographer spends thousands on a semi-pro or pro level camera and then complains about the pictures they get having expected the camera to do it all.

Digital camera manufacturers put more aids for the novice photographer in their lower end cameras. You get a portrait or a sunset or a macro mode with a point and shoot or low end DSLR but with the higher end cameras these automated setting are not provided as a rule. I have seen many posts where a novice photographer spends thousands on a semi-pro or pro level camera and then complains about the pictures they get having expected the camera to do it all.

Yep. They do put some useful things in them too that “eventually” make it to the pro/prosumer lines. Some examples, touchscreen LCD, tilt screen, DPAF (dual pixel auto focus), etc. Some think it’s to test the technology, but I believe it has more to do with the fact that (for me, Canon) doesn’t release pro model upgrades near as often as consumer grade. I gotta say, there are some features on my 5D4 that I miss on my 1DX. Gotta upgrade to 1DX2 to get them (Anti-Flicker being a big one).

Reactions: With The Birds

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31